Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times

Advertisements

My dear, dear Husband wants a shiny new set of golf clubs for his birthday. I'm all too aware of Dicks and other boxy, mega corps. I actually like Dicks as far as boxy mega corps go ~ sporty

But what about a smaller golf specality store? I've seen a 'golf map' of the greater Jacksnville area, so I know there's about a bazillion courses just a sling shot away from me probably, but what about the supplies? The meat and potatoes? Th hammer and nails? You know what I'm saying laddie, where can I find a quality set of clubs?

Thanks for the suggstions Loves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
You could always stop in at a pro shop at any of the larger golf courses and talk to a pro about where to buy good clubs.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,843 times
I think there's a place called Golf Galaxy - or something like that - at St Johns Town Center. Not sure what they sell but it's worth a shot!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Golf Galaxy will be closing soon (it's currently having a going out of business sale).

I assume if you're talking about a guy and a set of clubs that you're talking about a set of irons. Which should be fitted for your husband's size - swing - game level - etc. We usually have demo days at various places in late September and early October (best to try before you buy). For example - there's one at the TPC Sawgrass on October 3. Tour Stop down in the WGV usually has one too.

We do most of our shopping for clubs at Edwin Watts (national chain). It has a store on JTB and US1 - and one out at the Beaches. It carries good equipment - and its prices are competitive (except on brands where the manufacturer won't allow discounts - like Ping). It has its own demo days as well. I think Watts is probably your best bet. Robyn

Old 09-09-2010, 01:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
edwin watts is very good. main store is on phillips hwy

Old 09-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Questions View Post
edwin watts is very good. main store is on phillips hwy
Just to clarify for Samantha (who's new to the area) - Phillips Hwy = US1 - we are both talking about the same Edwin Watts store. Robyn

Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha123abc View Post
My dear, dear Husband wants a shiny new set of golf clubs for his birthday. I'm all too aware of Dicks and other boxy, mega corps. I actually like Dicks as far as boxy mega corps go ~ sporty

But what about a smaller golf specality store? I've seen a 'golf map' of the greater Jacksnville area, so I know there's about a bazillion courses just a sling shot away from me probably, but what about the supplies? The meat and potatoes? Th hammer and nails? You know what I'm saying laddie, where can I find a quality set of clubs?

Thanks for the suggstions Loves!
Edwin Watts is the best place to go for golf equipment. You are better off getting him a certificate and having them check his swing/swing speed to fit the clubs while he is there.

Box sets are good for beginners but not for a seasoned player, in general.

Golf Galaxy is going out of business. All sales are final.

Take it from a golfer, you cannot just buy something off of the rack.

If you really want to know about clubs, read "Search for the Perfect Golf Club" by Tom Wishon.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 23,617 times
David Gates store on Southside Blvd in front of Tinseltown, ask for David, he is a pro at helping folks.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM

The last time I went to David Gates on Southside was at a going out of business sale perhaps 6-12 months ago. Are they still there - and/or still going out of business? Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville