Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:17 AM

542 posts, read 702,147 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if the above poster can site where they are getting that info. Is there a link to that? Would be interested in reading it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I am wondering if the above poster can site where they are getting that info. Is there a link to that? Would be interested in reading it.
I would too.

Some years ago, Johnny Miller (who is now mayor) looked into it and seemed mostly satisfied with the results.

However, I just found this from 2010-2011 (pdf file): Nonattainment

It is such a tricky situation and I can see both sides of it (I've spoken about it here before.)

Old 04-07-2016, 05:54 PM

19 posts, read 34,395 times
I found this:
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/air/rules...04-03-2015.pdf

But its from 4/2015, a year ago, can't find anything from this year. Both plants are apparently still out of compliance, the non-attainment area is the entire downtown area, really most of the northern end of the island. If you read the report there is a map showing the areas affected.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 AM

542 posts, read 702,147 times
If I am reading that correctly, it sounds to me like both mills are working to meet reduced so2 emissions in the near future. Which is a good thing. The mills are monitored here to one degree or another. I asked the EPA whether they were monitoring the mills and they sent me the links I will post below. It is pretty complicated stuff, not written for people who know nothing about what is being done or the process of monitoring, still gives me some comfort someone is watching things. One thing that did jump out at me upon looking at the reports is the sheer number of pollutants being monitored. Under pollutants just go look at the list of "toxic releases" It is pretty long and there is a lot of really bad stuff on it. Also note amount of pollution is listed in LBS and there is a lot, like 500,000LBS of hydrochloric acid. 44,000lbs of ammonia, 9,000lbs of formaldehyde.
I happened to have a conversation awhile back with a guy that used to work at Rayonier. He was telling me that they use a lot of Chlorine there. He said when he worked there it came in on rail cars. His claim was that the giant tanks sit outside the plant with a lot of sensors around them to monitor for possible leaks. He said they sit out there in the sun and heat up and one day he was around one of these things and a safety pressure valve released some of the gas and he was overcome by it. Claiming he couldn't breath and it burned his throat. Anyway, he starts telling me that while these tanks are monitored and pretty bullet proof should there ever be a major release, like someone sticks a bomb on one or the train car falls off the rail. That the resulting chlorine gas cloud would have something like a 5 mile kill zone down wind. Of course that kind of freaked me out hearing this. I don't know if any of this is true, this is just some guy I met once. Still I started reading a bit on it and it sure sounds like he may not be far off the mark. I will give you a couple links to read if your curious. It is obviously unlikely this would happen like a nuke plant melting down, but it could happen. Now every time I smell that plant in the wind... I can't help thinking....right now, I'm in the kill zone.

Chlorine Accidents Take a Big Human Toll - Scientific American

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...ons/tr-052.pdf

Chlorine Gas: An Evolving Hazardous Material Threat and Unconventional Weapon

Hear are the links to the EPA reports on both Fernandina Beach Mills

https://echo.epa.gov/detailed-facili...d=110027966814

https://echo.epa.gov/detailed-facili...d=110000588542

Old 05-08-2016, 07:47 AM

6,411 posts, read 4,908,175 times
My brother and sister in law live there and I was wondering if I should send them a link to this thread. We were visiting them recently and we could smell the paper plant(s) and they live 5 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville