Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:54 AM

29 posts, read 246,130 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has had success getting all the Jax TV stations over the air waves in the Amelia Island area. Specifically I was wondering if using a powerful enough antenna, if you are able to get the local PBS stations (I don't want to invest in a big antenna if it's not possible). So far I have tried the indoor Radion Shack antennas without much success. Of course, I have the converter box and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
When it comes to Jax stations, we only ever watch First Coast News, but we get that (I have no idea which station that is).
We have Comcast.
I'd like to drop cable, but I know my husband will never go for that.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:49 PM

Yeah, I am about fed up with the choices on cable and satellite so I am thinking local channels and netflix. I am going to try an outdoor aerial but I think channel 7 stations will be an issue because they don't transmit with any power. I will miss the music stations with satellite, but they have an internet ready device if you have wireless, that you can plug right into your stereo and get scads of music options.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
AntennaWeb will tell you what kind of antenna you need for your address. The general rules are outdoor is better than indoor and the higher up and closer to having line of sight to the transmitters you can mount it, the better. Nassau is not that far so it should be doable.
You'll also need to be sure you have a VHF/UHF antenna. Some antennas are UHF only since MOST stations throughout the country are in the UHF band post-DTV transition, but Jacksonville has 3 VHF stations: the ABC, NBC, and PBS affiliates.
I can't recommend a specific model since I live close in and pretty much anything will work for me, but some other reputable manufacturers include Channel Master and Winegard (their models get generally favorable reviews on Amazon.)

Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have found out that the Clearstream C5 came highly recommended (called the engineer at Jax PBS). I understand it also works for UHF even though its a VHF antennae.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 6,423 times
Hi, a newbie to this site. I am wanting to try a TV antenna (indoor) for my small HDTV in my bedroom and get rid of the cable service on that TV. It that works, will try on my older TV in the living room. I want to keep Comcast internet service only, getting rid of Comcast TV completely. Does anyone have an indoor antenna working well on the Westside of Jacksonville...say, in the Cassat/Normandy area? I would just like to know if you have had good results, what kind of antenna are you using, etc. Any info would be helpful. Thanks .

Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Go to this website, AntennaWeb - Home, and follow the prompts to where it asks you to enter your address/location: AntennaWeb - Address It will show you what stations are near and the recommended antenna for that location.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 6,423 times
Thanks...I visited your site prior to my post when I saw your initial post about it. It only speaks of outdoor antennas. I was hoping to use an indoor antenna. I see good reviews for the indoor antennas on-line, was just wanting to hear from other people in my area who are only using indoor antennas. Appreciate your quick response back to me.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
You're welcome. I think it's important to note the distance to the broadcast towers from your location, as to whether an indoor antenna is a viable option for you. Sometimes, the rabbit ears-style antennae will be fine, but if there's a lot of interference in your house, you'll have issues.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM

284 posts, read 379,175 times
Timely post indeed. I'm reviewing a Wineguard antenna and will post my review on Monday. I'm south of
St. Augustine and have gotten impressive results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville