Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 AM

5,225 posts, read 6,152,814 times

Advertisements

I figured I would start a new thread instead of adding on to the Jacksonville Landing s&$ks thread.

I have been reading about the possible future plans for the Landing and the renderings seem so residential lacking any large courtyard for the numerous events that are held yearly. I guess they would close the street off between the buildings........but the rendering seems to close the riverfront off to any events and limit it to pedestrian walk ways

The Landing while not as popular as it was in years past is iconic to downtown Jacksonville and plays host to so many events.

In Chicago the Navy Pier like the harbor in Baltimore have so much available for the public and tourists on the water and both are among the must see's when visiting those areas.

In the 30 years I have been in this area it seems that there are so many events and small improvements to downtown starting to come together now............but on the other hand the score boards, giving away the naming rights revenue to Everbank, city paying to replace seats for Ga/Fla game, water taxi debacle, Hemming Plaza experiment and now the question about giving seed money to country fest are just a few of the crazy ( in my opinion) directions the city is going in. If the country fest brings in so much revenue as far as bed tax which goes to pay the loans for the scoreboards.....is giving 300k for seed money that unrealistic

Heck, the city foot the bill paying 1mil to bring wifi to the stadium for the Jags

I still believe the city needs to hire someone with forward vision who can tie all this together.

New renderings of Jacksonville Landing released | News - Home

Jaguars, EverBank announce 10-year, $43M deal for stadium naming rights | Fox News

Last edited by JBtwinz; 08-24-2014 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,160 times
Good luck to them, hope it is something appealing to make people come out and spend money.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 PM

Went to see my daughter sing in front of the tree on Friday night. It stinks and it is a ****hole. Just tear down the middle part and start over. It is embarrassing that it populates such a prime space of real estate.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:21 PM

375 posts, read 444,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Went to see my daughter sing in front of the tree on Friday night. It stinks and it is a ****hole. Just tear down the middle part and start over. It is embarrassing that it populates such a prime space of real estate.
My daughter is singing with a band there Saturday night. You should trudge down there one more time. I'll be there

Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 AM

I'm good, going to do the St. Augustine boat parade this weekend.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:46 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Its prime real estate occupied by low end mall food court establishments. Its a joke. I for the life of me cant understand how this is the "river city" yet our public use of water front is virtually non existent. Any half wit City leaders working with any half wit developer could put together something WAY better than anything Jax has....

Old 12-10-2014, 07:06 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,382,577 times
The Landing is NICE, but will admit that some improving could be done. When we put our boat on the river, the Landing is where we go to "party"! Some nice restaurants are there. Gotta remember, this body of water and The Landing isn't in Miami.......they have money that Jax doesn't have!

Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM

410 posts, read 363,050 times
yes the Landing sucks....but have any of you thought that maybe the Landing was just supposed to suck? People always want to compare it to what are perceived as good/attractive comps, but maybe that's not realistic.

This reminds me of Bill Simmons articles on Jacksonville when the super bowl was here(for those that don't know he trashed it for a week solid)- Jacksonville does not have any central points of focus/entertainment. There are no 'cool' areas. There is no recognizable downtown. And you know what? That's O-K. There is no need to act like it's a problem just because something is missing. If you want those sorts of things, then move to an area that has them.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:00 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
There were about three dozen Rouse festival marketplaces built around the country in the 70s and 80s to help revitalize downtowns. Most of them failed and some no longer even exist. Yes, there are a handful that are successful (perhaps because of the surrounding environment and in spite of their design) but most are languishing in the same condition as the Jax Landing.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:38 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Its prime real estate occupied by low end mall food court establishments. Its a joke. I for the life of me cant understand how this is the "river city" yet our public use of water front is virtually non existent. Any half wit City leaders working with any half wit developer could put together something WAY better than anything Jax has....
Because the FBC owns half of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville