Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 04:45 PM

14 posts, read 38,122 times

Advertisements

We are looking at possibly visiting St. Augustine for 2 days over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend OR New Years Eve/weekend. (About a 3 hour drive North for us)

Can anyone who has visited during these times before - or any locals - tell me if places are open? Is anything open New Years day? Is it so busy these times of the year, that we shouldn't bother? Is it worth it to see something particular these times of year?

Please help! I need details here!
Thank you

Last edited by Queenmellybee; 10-10-2010 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM

278 posts, read 664,715 times
I am not sure what's open on the holidays, but you have to see St Augustine's Nights of Lights, which is up November thru January (I think). On a cool November night, with the lights lit, and the horses and carriages... it's fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
What bativac said. Don't miss it!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Come on up to JAX New Year's Eve afternoon to see the Gator Bowl parade. I suspect most museums and the like in St. Augustine and elsewhere are closed both on Thanksgiving and New Year's day. What kinds of things were you thinking of doing? If I had a choice - I'd come up at some other time (Thankgiving traffic on I-95 is horrible - and there are lots of drunks on the road New Year's Eve - which is why we go to the Gator Bowl parade and get home early). Robyn

Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 AM

Thank you all for your input!

It's looking like the hubby and I are heading up to St. Augustine on Dec 30th - and staying through the New Year's weekend. That way we can see some things on days they might be open (Not just NY Day)

I guess all there is to do now, is decide what will be a good time without breaking the bank. (Although the parade sounds nice - we are not sports fans at all)

Any other ideas of must see places/things?
When do cities usually post NY shindigs? Places with dinner special menus, etc.? Any particular websites I should scout for these announcements?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM

31 posts, read 86,302 times
I've always gone to St. Augustine on Christmas and honestly never even noticed if things were open or not. I think most if not all of the shops in the old town will be closed. But walking around old town, Flagler college and the Castillo de San Marcos or the beach are always free and open 24x7. The only thing you will be missing out on is the crowds and tourist traps so the more stuff closed the better really. Plenty of scenic places to go in St Augustine and at Christmas time you wont die of heat stroke walking around.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenmellybee View Post
I guess all there is to do now, is decide what will be a good time without breaking the bank. (Although the parade sounds nice - we are not sports fans at all)
Just an FYI that you don't have to be a sports fan to enjoy the parade. No offense to college football, but I couldn't care less about the Gator Bowl itself. However, I thoroughly enjoy the parade.

Yes, the two colleges are part of the parade, but there are so many others participating. Depending on weather, there have been the big balloons (think Macy's T-day parade), pirates, high school bands from local and out-of-state schools, big floats and little floats, dancers, Shriners, and loads of other things. {Side note here: due to the redesign and construction on some of the downtown roadways, I haven't a clue how that will affect the parade (route and/or participants).}

A couple of websites to check regarding New Years events:
Beach Blast Off - 2011 - Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
New Year's Eve in St. Augustine

A listing of hotels/motels:
St Augustine Hotel Lodging & Information - Festivals & Events Calendar
You could search each to see if they're offering any packages.

World Golf Village is not far away. The Renaissance has some packages:
Florida Golf Resort | St Augustine Hotels | Florida Golf Vacations

Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Thank you again, everyone for your input!
The hubby and I booked a B&B for a little NY Eve getaway for a few days.

I will keep checking websites for any other events that might be posted. It seems like local NY Eve "goings on" get posted/announced pretty late in the game... weird.

I am now also on the hunt for good restaurants in Oldtwon/surrounding St. Augustine area. Especially ones that will offer NY Eve menu specials!
I saw that Cordova 95 will have one for $99 a person .....a little rich for my blood.

Any recommendations of good places to eat? NY Eve or otherwise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville