Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:49 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times

Advertisements

I'm used to the Carolinas when you got out there in October and put your seed down to replentish your lawn. Is it the same here or do you guys do it in the Spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
St Augustine just goes dormant during the winter months, then comes back in the spring. Be sure to water it about once every 10 days, though, so if there's a freeze, it'll come back. I've never heard of anyone seeding it, unless they're putting out some winter rye to keep the turf green.

Just my non-lawn-guy input.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
makes sense, also thanks to whomever gave me advice via the rep tool. very helpful

Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Yes indeed lawn maintenance with St. Augustine is far different. It's not a seed grass and is replaced/repaired with chunks of sod or plugs. This is the time of year to feed. Some folks do a complete feeding fertilizer in Sept., some in Oct., and some wait until November. Some also apply a weed-and-feed. As EricBoyd wrote, it does eventually go dormant during "winter", which means until then it still needs mowing and watering, and during winter your mower can probably take a breather but the lawn will still need water.

One book I like is Gardening in Florida by Tom MacCubbin. It's a month-to-month guide on all horticulture maintenance including lawns. I don't recall if I got it at Borders or Barnes & Noble - one of those bookstores.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Here's a useful link, too: ENH5/LH010: St. Augustinegrass for Florida Lawns

Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM

754 posts, read 2,815,439 times
Yeah, you don't seed St. Auggie grass. You re-sod, either in squares or plugs.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Previous advice is good. Don't seed. We had a harsh winter - and a harsh summer - so you may have some dead spots in the lawn. If they'll small - the "runners" from the existing grass will probably fill them in in the spring. If they're larger - you'll need to resod. You can resod now - or wait until the very early spring. Don't do it in the dead middle of winter - like January (you probably won't be able to get sod then anyway). Note that there are many varieties of Augustine grass. If you re-sod - make sure you match what you have.

Run your mower over the lawn to mulch leaves that fall on it when they start coming down.

Starting with the end of daylight savings time - we can only water once a week. Water once a week (even if only for a short time). Even if the lawn could do with once every two weeks (or less often if we get a lot of rain) - most in-ground irrigation systems are "water-lubricated". If they're allowed to dry out over the winter - they'll develop leaks. Robyn

Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
.... Note that there are many varieties of Augustine grass. If you re-sod - make sure you match what you have ....
This site gives a list of the types of St. Augustine.

St. Augustine Grass

I believe the most prevalent one used is Floratam. It's easy to find out -- just take a small plug from your lawn to a knowledgeable nursery and they can tell you.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 18,283 times
Put out winter rye and added fertilizer to the lawn in December. Now we're getting closer to spring and i look at the other lawns the St. Augustine is light brownish color. There are very brown spots in my lawn and when I pull some of the brown back there are very few green runner that are green. In some places its looks dead. Should I seed or put in some sod? Help
Bill

Old 03-09-2014, 08:38 AM

392 posts, read 1,553,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom777 View Post
Put out winter rye and added fertilizer to the lawn in December. Now we're getting closer to spring and i look at the other lawns the St. Augustine is light brownish color. There are very brown spots in my lawn and when I pull some of the brown back there are very few green runner that are green. In some places its looks dead. Should I seed or put in some sod? Help
Bill
To fill in patchy areas I would put in some plugs. I think one plug for every 2 square feet works well. The plugs have better root systems than the sod. Get the plug fertilizer to help the roots take hold. Water the plugs like you would any newly planted plant. You can't get seed for St Augustine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville