Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 26,270 times

Advertisements

I might be relocating with my job (if I get the position) to Jacksonville from Fort Pierce and was wonder what areas should I focus on. My potential work location is located on Richard Street. Im 26 years old, no kids, not really a clubbing person and would like to be no more than 30 mins away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM

48 posts, read 167,008 times
That's a location that's easy to get to from most every spot on the Southside of Jacksonville (assuming you're commuting by car). That's an older section of the Southside so it doesn't have all the congestion of the newer office parks to the east, which will make the commute easier. You may want to provide more detail on the type of housing you prefer and your target budget.

If you like older, eclectic communties, look in the San Marco area. If you're looking for suburban homes, there are lots of neighborhoods between there and Southside Blvd which give you a 15 - 20 minute commute to work down secondary roads. In general from that location, you'll see the houses get newer as you head east. San Souci, Parental Home, etc will be houses built in the 60s and 70s, then 80s and 90s as you head towards the Belfort Road area. Condos and Townhomes line the Touchton Road / Southside Blvd area, with good shopping in that area through Tinseltown and to St. Johns Town Center. Because of the glut of condos in that area and the weak market, you may find some good rental prices there.

For apartment living, skip any near Emerson and avoid most of the complexes along the University Blvd corridor and along Toledo, Powers, and Old Kings Road. They're older and safety can be a concern. San Jose and Brierwood areas are generally good, too. Baymeadows Road apartments are spotty - some nice, some questionable (on Baymeadows, the newer communities are east of Southside Blvd). There are a lot of newer apartments and condos in the Tinseltown and St. Johns Town Center areas.

Also for great pictorials of many neighborhoods in Jax, including lots on the Southside, check out MetroJacksonville.com (Metro Jacksonville | Covering Downtown Jacksonville FL, Northeast Florida, Jacksonville Transit, History, Neighborhoods, Photos). They do regular features on area neighborhoods, offering some history and lots of photos to really represent the area. Here are just a few for different sections of the Southside:
San Marco: The 14 Parks of San Marco | Metro Jacksonville
Southside (Southpoint and St. Johns Town Center): The Southside: Jacksonville's First Edge City | Metro Jacksonville
Miramar (south of San Marco off San Jose Blvd) Urban Neighborhoods: Miramar | Metro Jacksonville
Lakewood (south of Miramar off San Jose Blvd) A Look at the Neighborhood of Lakewood | Metro Jacksonville
San Jose (south of Lakewood) A Look at San Jose | Metro Jacksonville
Englewood (the northern part of Richard Rd. is in this area) Neighborhoods: Englewood | Metro Jacksonville
St Johns Town Center (lots of articles, this is just 1)The Plaza at Town Center Entertainment Complex | Metro Jacksonville

Old 10-29-2010, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 26,270 times
The highest im willing to go is $850 per month and I was looking at apartments and houses. Yes, I will be commuting by car.

JaxFlaGal, Thanks for the info

Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,236,991 times
You can get anywhere in Jacksonville with in 30 minutes, so you can have your pick of places to live.

What are you looking for in a neighborhood / property?

What do you like to do in your spare time, an what would you like to be close to you?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 20,501 times
My boyfriends parents stay around Baymeadow's. I like it a lot. I am close to Downtown and still getting to know it. It depends what you want out of your life..

Old 12-06-2010, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 24,413 times
Riverside/5 points/some parts of Murray hill.. The southside is ghetto and has nothing to do.. The only places to live under 900 are apartments and for what you pay for an apartment you can get a house and yard and garage in Riverside..

I HATE Jax with a passion, but I got family and a good job.. Im 25 (actually on wednesday)... So you are around my age.. I don't know about these other people and I dont know what you are into.. but if you want a place that more safe than the other areas, cheaper with nice houses, and has more culture... riverside is the only place to be.. You MIGHT even catch a good punk/indie/ska/hardcore/emo/metal/modern good music around here...

I have a HUGE fenced in yard (great cause I have dogs) and 2 bedroom house, 2 car garage.. Nice remodeled house for $600 a month.. 2 mins walk from the community college.. 30 mins from anywhere.. Bars and concert venues within walking and driving distance.. 10 mins or less away from anywhere I would really need to go.. A nice place to ride bikes.. Easy access to the highways.. Im 2 mins from i-10 4 mins from 95.. The people are less ghetto, hick, bible in your face type of trash.. More artist and gay people.. When you move here hit me up.. I take it you aren't trashy.. You got a job and no kids at 26 and you dont like clubs... You will be one of the few here but the kinda person we need more of.. I know where to find good houses here.. These other people don't or else they would tell you about riverside and riverside only..

Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,236,991 times
......it is probably THE best neighborhood in the entire city (well, after it was named one of the 10 best in the nation - I guess there's no arguing that! ) , but I also enjoy San Marco, Avondale, & Springfield. Parts of Orterga and Murray Hill too.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,691,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
......it is probably THE best neighborhood in the entire city (well, after it was named one of the 10 best in the nation - I guess there's no arguing that! ) , but I also enjoy San Marco, Avondale, & Springfield. Parts of Orterga and Murray Hill too.
What is the best neighborhood? I am also planning a move to the Jax area. I am primarily looking near orange Park, Fleming island, Middleberg, etc. I could also end up near Gainseville. Thanks

Old 12-11-2010, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 18,386 times
Coprile you sound like you probably aren't from Jacksonville (or FL in general)? I am planning a move to the area, with an office downtown. I have only been to the city once, so I have no idea where to live. I will be 23 years old when I would start living there, with no family. I am not crazy about the clubs either. I have rented a cheap apartment near campus in college for 4 years, so I was thinking about doing the same if I were to move. Do you think I could rent a decent house in a nice neighborhood for about the same amount of money I would spend renting an apartment? I am easy to please and don't need anything too fancy or big. I would love to rent a house with a yard if it weren't too expensive.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 20,461 times
Coprile, or anyone here, what would be GOOD Neighborhood or Communities near 32256 ??

We a young couple (25) not really into clubing, we are going to be working at the Zip code 32256. We want to work AS CLOSE AS POSIBLE to our jobs (<20 mins)....

Our main concern is SAFETY ... No kids.

We can have apartments and houses, no matter.. 3BR, Parking, has to be under 1,000...

Please advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville