Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,657 times

Advertisements

I need to replace my windows.
Does anyone have a company that they can recommend.

Also, anyone have a ballpark figure of what it would cost to replace 12 windows? All are about 36 inches wide and 59 inches tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:25 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
I need to replace my windows.
Does anyone have a company that they can recommend.

Also, anyone have a ballpark figure of what it would cost to replace 12 windows? All are about 36 inches wide and 59 inches tall.
I can replace your windows for you. There are a lot of factors that have to be determined before you can get a ballpark price. Impact resistant or not? Double hung or single hung? Low E Glass or not? Plus, there is also the consideration of what it will take to remove the old ones first. Are they in a stucco home or siding? What type of windows are coming out?

There is some information that has to be collected first before giving a ballpark price, but if you are interested you can send me a private message and we can go from there.

SS

Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 AM

139 posts, read 409,724 times
I recently used "Upscale Windows" for replacements in historic district and am happy with the results. Good quality, communication and price.

Upscale Windows Office# 904-525-1008

Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
One thing you'll have to look into is whether new windows have to meet current building codes. Robyn

Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I can replace your windows for you. There are a lot of factors that have to be determined before you can get a ballpark price. Impact resistant or not? Double hung or single hung? Low E Glass or not? Plus, there is also the consideration of what it will take to remove the old ones first. Are they in a stucco home or siding? What type of windows are coming out?

There is some information that has to be collected first before giving a ballpark price, but if you are interested you can send me a private message and we can go from there.

SS

And.....if the highly likely scenario exists that one of my posts from the pasts have offended you to the point of aversion where you wouldn't hire me to clean your toilets, you can call American Replacement Windows on Powers Avenue. I used to work for them around 20 years ago, and I've heard the quality of service has gone up extremely since I left....I'm just sayin.......

Old 11-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Thank you for your input.

I am going to have a new heat pump installed November 11, 2010, so I want to wait on the windows until next year to see if the government might offer another tax credit next year.

I have a home that was built in 1986. It is wood siding. I have no idea what type of windows are in here now. All I know is the bottom part lifts up when I open them. I know I want to go with the most economically windows. When I lifted one of the windows last summer, I heard something break, and now I have to put a book under it in order to keep it open. Also, some of the windows (2, maybe 3) that face the street are cloudy, which I find very unattractive. So, if I cannot afford to replace all windows, I would want to replace the street-facing ones.

I think I want vinyl, and I am thinking single hung would be cheaper than double hung, right?

As soon as the government offers a tax credit, I'm good to go. Otherwise, I'll wait until next fall before I pursue the windows.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
And.....if the highly likely scenario exists that one of my posts from the pasts have offended you to the point of aversion where you wouldn't hire me to clean your toilets, you can call American Replacement Windows on Powers Avenue. I used to work for them around 20 years ago, and I've heard the quality of service has gone up extremely since I left....I'm just sayin.......
Nothing you have ever posted has offended me, and I've been reading you for over a year.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
Thank you for your input.

I am going to have a new heat pump installed November 11, 2010, so I want to wait on the windows until next year to see if the government might offer another tax credit next year.

I have a home that was built in 1986. It is wood siding. I have no idea what type of windows are in here now. All I know is the bottom part lifts up when I open them. I know I want to go with the most economically windows. When I lifted one of the windows last summer, I heard something break, and now I have to put a book under it in order to keep it open. Also, some of the windows (2, maybe 3) that face the street are cloudy, which I find very unattractive. So, if I cannot afford to replace all windows, I would want to replace the street-facing ones.

I think I want vinyl, and I am thinking single hung would be cheaper than double hung, right?

As soon as the government offers a tax credit, I'm good to go. Otherwise, I'll wait until next fall before I pursue the windows.
The "snap" you heard was your balancer breaking or coming loose. They can be replaced, as can the foggy glass as well. You may want to just have those things serviced to save money, because when you go to replace the windows, I think you're going to have to upgrade to the current codes, which will require you to either install impact resistant windows or hurricane shutters/panels. (I mostly deal with new and full rehabs which require this, but I'm not 100% sure on you're situation)

If you do replace them, be careful with the vinyl windows. Some of them have old style balancers that do not handle the weight of the vinyl windows very well and will give you trouble closing them properly Yes, single hung would be cheaper. There is one brand name of vinyl that is superior to all the others, but I can't think of the name right now. Once it comes to me I'll let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville