Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 12:17 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvingme23 View Post
jville is growing because people are moving here for job and/or family reasons. most people aren't just looking for a move and saying, "Hey, let's go to jville!". There are cities that do get that type of attention, including the one you live in. jville is NOT one of them. there are certain types of people that do really enjoy jville living. they usually fall under the categories i previously listed older conservative WASP. others USUALLY do not enjoy it and never look back when they leave.
First of all, most people don't just willy nilly move places without a job. If there are a lot of people like that, I don't think they're coming to Atlanta, either. If there are a lot of people like that, do we really want these people moving to Jacksonville? We get plenty of retirees (less than further south and more than further north), we get plenty of military transplants, and we get plenty of families being relocated for work purposes (which means companies are expanding or moving here). These are good people to be getting, and as a result, our metro actually has one of the highest per capita GDPs and per capita incomes in the state. That's a good thing!

Also, military families are usually not WASPs, though they are often conservative (for obvious reasons). They are among the most diverse groups in the country, which accounts for Jacksonville's large Filipino and Eastern European population. According to their polls, they love Jacksonville and they aren't fitting your stereotype of WASPs. BTW, I am a WASP and I'm damn proud of it, but that doesn't make me a boring guy who doesn't want to see more nightlife, shopping, and entertainment come to Jacksonville.

Last edited by jsimms3; 01-14-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:52 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
I don't think that is a map of Mandarin. I've always heard that area called Beauclerc

Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
It's between San Jose and Mandarin, but you're right that it's called Beauclerc. They are all just a couple miles apart. The intersection of Old St. Augustine and Loretto where Saint Joseph's Catholic Church *and* school (which is why it's 4 corners) is located is only 2-3 miles from most of these temples. There are plenty of Jews who live in Mandarin and drive not 2-3 miles up SR-13 (San Jose) to their temple or 4 miles to the Ed Parker Center.

I don't know why I spent so much time proving why Luvingme123 does not even know that much about her neighborhood (I also could have pulled up all of the Indian stores, restaurants, temples, etc in the area). I should have just asked her why churches bother her so much, especially considering every city is filled with churches, temples, and other places of worship. She must be atheist and take offense to organized religion. If she thinks Mandarin is a religious place, she should never travel to 2/3 of the world where Muslims, Catholics, Hindis, and Buddhists put Baptists to shame.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
I am an American....what do I think of Jacksonville?

I think Jax is underrated & overlooked by both outsiders & residence.
If you like to do many activities with NO LIMITS, living in Jax can be frustrating.
I think I become frustrated after meeting people from out of town, traveling to other cities & reading a lot on the internet.
I would always say "Damn why cant Jacksonville have that or this?" "Why cant we do that in Jax?"....These are questions Id have in my mind. After a while Jacksonville started to feel in my mind like it was no where. Like I lived no where. Hated when concerts or tours would skip over Jax. Hated seeing something cool or interesting in the media knowing Id never see anything like it on the streets of my own city. Ive never experienced the river by any water craft controlled by me (probably my fault). I always thought way outside the box & wanted to see Jacksonville offer more diverse options to all residence. These options seemed to take forever to materialize, which created more frustration for me. Then we got the Superbowl, new arena, new ballpark, new library & I got excited that the no where I lived was becoming "Somewhere"....Then the aftermath. Jax got bashed just for having the Superbowl, New arena, but tours skipping Jax again. JTA being the same service they were in 1985, After the high of moving forward it seemed Jax was moving backwards. Who was to blame? Every year I was getting older & Jacksonville was going up & down, up & down. I felt by the time Jacksonville has all the options & choices the above average american city had/has Id be too old to enjoy it. I am still cheering for its growth & it becoming a better place for EVERYONE & not just certain groups of residence. Thats my take on Jacksonville.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
so if Jacksonville is racist, what does that make Charlotte, who the NAACP is protesting against because the schools aren't off today?

Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
What America thinks of Jacksonville Fl

Not very often, at all.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
What America thinks of Jacksonville Fl
What America thinks of Jacksonville
Not very often, at all.
Thank God or we would really be over crowded

Old 01-17-2011, 04:37 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I am an American....what do I think of Jacksonville?

I think Jax is underrated & overlooked by both outsiders & residence.
If you like to do many activities with NO LIMITS, living in Jax can be frustrating.
I think I become frustrated after meeting people from out of town, traveling to other cities & reading a lot on the internet.
I would always say "Damn why cant Jacksonville have that or this?" "Why cant we do that in Jax?"....These are questions Id have in my mind. After a while Jacksonville started to feel in my mind like it was no where. Like I lived no where. Hated when concerts or tours would skip over Jax. Hated seeing something cool or interesting in the media knowing Id never see anything like it on the streets of my own city. Ive never experienced the river by any water craft controlled by me (probably my fault). I always thought way outside the box & wanted to see Jacksonville offer more diverse options to all residence. These options seemed to take forever to materialize, which created more frustration for me. Then we got the Superbowl, new arena, new ballpark, new library & I got excited that the no where I lived was becoming "Somewhere"....Then the aftermath. Jax got bashed just for having the Superbowl, New arena, but tours skipping Jax again. JTA being the same service they were in 1985, After the high of moving forward it seemed Jax was moving backwards. Who was to blame? Every year I was getting older & Jacksonville was going up & down, up & down. I felt by the time Jacksonville has all the options & choices the above average american city had/has Id be too old to enjoy it. I am still cheering for its growth & it becoming a better place for EVERYONE & not just certain groups of residence. Thats my take on Jacksonville.
I could not have expressed it better. I to feel the same way after 21 years here in the Jax area. There is a lot to do here, you just have to look for it. Unlike other large cities where you can just hit their downtowns and spend the day with activities or visit the different nieghborhoods, Jacksonvilles activities which are plentiful are sometimes hidden. I only hope the next 20 years growth comes a little faster.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
so if Jacksonville is racist, what does that make Charlotte, who the NAACP is protesting against because the schools aren't off today?

The schools arent off today because of the snow days all the kids missed. Just like here in Asheville. The NAACP needs to get a grip; the kids have to miss Spring Break too to make up for the snow days they missed.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
First of all, most people don't just willy nilly move places without a job. If there are a lot of people like that, I don't think they're coming to Atlanta, either. If there are a lot of people like that, do we really want these people moving to Jacksonville? We get plenty of retirees (less than further south and more than further north), we get plenty of military transplants, and we get plenty of families being relocated for work purposes (which means companies are expanding or moving here). These are good people to be getting, and as a result, our metro actually has one of the highest per capita GDPs and per capita incomes in the state. That's a good thing!

Also, military families are usually not WASPs, though they are often conservative (for obvious reasons). They are among the most diverse groups in the country, which accounts for Jacksonville's large Filipino and Eastern European population. According to their polls, they love Jacksonville and they aren't fitting your stereotype of WASPs. BTW, I am a WASP and I'm damn proud of it, but that doesn't make me a boring guy who doesn't want to see more nightlife, shopping, and entertainment come to Jacksonville.
Many many people move to Atlanta with no job. Most of them hate their current situation so bad, they just pack up & go. Atlanta, Chicago & DC get these types of transplants often from what I have read on citydata. It depends on the hustle & bustle of the individual.

What is a WASP man?? I see you all using the word, but I am not familiar with that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville