Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville (Duval County) is the largest "city" in the US (because the county is the same size as the "city"). It's a huge geographical area - and schools are all over the place (mostly fair to middling - some excellent - some poor). The schools in JAX recently got much better grades than in years past - because the grading standards were lowered.

It would be useful if you mentioned what parts of the metro area you're considering (I assume you're moving because of a job or something like that). When you're dealing with a tri-county Metro area (Duval/St. Johns/Clay counties - that's maybe 20 x 30 miles or so - makes sense to narrow things down a bit. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 06:37 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quad county area, don't forget Nassau County!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM

133 posts, read 192,449 times
Jacksonville is very black and white. Seems like black people and white people and nothing else. Literrally. When I lived there I felt like I lived in Americatown USa. That is a place where you are frowned upon for buying a foreign car. That is a place where you go to a company dinner and everybody drops their head in prayer before supper and you had better do the same. You better not talk bad about the military or say "we are fighting for oil" in Jax only god knows what will happen to you if you do . Jacksonville is the land of pickup trucks and confederate flags. Jacksonville is republican and kinda old school but , the roads are wide and well paved, the nightlife is cool. I had my house broken into three times during the course of my 18 months living there. I love that in Florida you can interact with your government with ease, getting licensed and registered. I liked the work ethic and determination in jacksonville. I like the economy I found a job within two weeks and and apartment as well.

Last edited by movinaround1; 01-08-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,379 times
The Jacksonville area is a great place to live! It's affordable and beautiful. You can choose the area to live based on your preferences because we have it all - beaches, downtown, suburbs, historic district, river areas. You have culture with the fabulous Symphony (Joshua Bell was just here last weekend), sports, or outdoor recreation. The weather is mild most of the year. There is decent shopping with Dillard's, Ann Taylor, all the young trendy stores, - St. Johns Town Center comes to mind. St. Augustine is nearby - a charming historic town. There is world-class golf at TPC Sawgrass, fun restaurants, and upscale restaurants. Whatever you want you can find, without crazy traffic either! The population is a mix of ages and demos! Come on down!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Jacksonville (Duval County) is the largest "city" in the US (because the county is the same size as the "city"). It's a huge geographical area - and schools are all over the place (mostly fair to middling - some excellent - some poor). The schools in JAX recently got much better grades than in years past - because the grading standards were lowered.

It would be useful if you mentioned what parts of the metro area you're considering (I assume you're moving because of a job or something like that). When you're dealing with a tri-county Metro area (Duval/St. Johns/Clay counties - that's maybe 20 x 30 miles or so - makes sense to narrow things down a bit. Robyn
What about Nassua?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
What about Nassua?
I usually get it with the flu

Old 01-15-2012, 11:44 PM

267 posts, read 579,053 times
I'll bite.

My boyfriend was transferred to Jacksonville about a year ago from his job. I've been a few times myself to visit him but he usually comes to visit me in DC. My opinion on Jacksonville? It's ok. It's not bad, it just reminds me of many other cities meaning it's just another city in the US. In my personal opinion there are very few cities that most people in the US consider exciting, like NYC, Chicago, LA, etc...so Jacksonville I consider to be a average city.

Being in my 20's I prefer a city that's a bit more...fast paced? Others may be content with the opposite, different strokes different folks, can't fault one for desiring one more than the other. I will state however that before my boyfriend moved there the only thing I knew about the city was that it was located in Florida.

My boyfriends biggest complaints with the city are finding people who he can relate to. His peers he feels don't have the same interest or ambitions that he possesses, I think he is referring to trouble finding a professional class his age. I will also state it's harder to meet people in JAX. For example when I moved to DC and knew NO ONE websites such as meetup.com were a great resource because they had hundreds of groups that have similar interest to my own so I could attend and it was a great way to meet people. Not to mention many people come to DC for jobs,school, just because, so people are ALWAYS looking to make friends because there is always someone new, it's just easier. I suggested meetup to my boyfriend in hopes of helping him meet new people but sites that are popular in cities I lived in i.e. chicago, and DC, had very little followers in JAX. Also because the city is so spread out, it also makes it that much harder to meet people. In my neighborhood I live very very close to my neighbors and have to walk up and down the street everyday so since you often bump into the same people on a daily basis, it makes it that much easier to chit chat and make new friends. Some people don't like to live in such dense cities, and thats fine, but it does make it easier to meet new people IMO. Because my BF doesn't get these types of opportunities he's mostly stuck with his 40 year old co-workers

All in all, I would consider Jacksonville to be an ideal city for families, or older people, just from what I have seen. I escaped the city I was born and raised in, it actually reminds me of Jacksonville a little, but I'm just not ready to return to that lifestyle...just yet...give me another 15-20 years.

Ok so seriously this is the end... I just think that for my particular needs at this time in my life I wouldn't want to live there, but it's not a bad city. Hope no one takes offense, this is just this particular Americans opinion

Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
its a very rational reply. I certainly would not like this place if I was single and young. With two kids, it is a great place for us so far.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 AM

5,197 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Jacksonville is what it is. It really does not matter what the rest of America thinks! They do not live here and to change Jax to fit some other mold is ridiculus. Transplants such as myself should not expect Jacksonville to make changes for me but rather we need to adapt to Jacksonville.

Jacksonville is a very laid back town, it does not have that cuttting edge exciting urbanism that alot of cities do, or lots of quaint neighborhoods that spill into each other but it has things that the locals and most people that move here have enjoyed for years.

If you have to relocate here, just kick back and enjoy Jacksonville and take it for what it is.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
I'll bite.

My boyfriend was transferred to Jacksonville about a year ago from his job. I've been a few times myself to visit him but he usually comes to visit me in DC. My opinion on Jacksonville? It's ok. It's not bad, it just reminds me of many other cities meaning it's just another city in the US. In my personal opinion there are very few cities that most people in the US consider exciting, like NYC, Chicago, LA, etc...so Jacksonville I consider to be a average city.

Being in my 20's I prefer a city that's a bit more...fast paced? Others may be content with the opposite, different strokes different folks, can't fault one for desiring one more than the other. I will state however that before my boyfriend moved there the only thing I knew about the city was that it was located in Florida.

My boyfriends biggest complaints with the city are finding people who he can relate to. His peers he feels don't have the same interest or ambitions that he possesses, I think he is referring to trouble finding a professional class his age. I will also state it's harder to meet people in JAX. For example when I moved to DC and knew NO ONE websites such as meetup.com were a great resource because they had hundreds of groups that have similar interest to my own so I could attend and it was a great way to meet people. Not to mention many people come to DC for jobs,school, just because, so people are ALWAYS looking to make friends because there is always someone new, it's just easier. I suggested meetup to my boyfriend in hopes of helping him meet new people but sites that are popular in cities I lived in i.e. chicago, and DC, had very little followers in JAX. Also because the city is so spread out, it also makes it that much harder to meet people. In my neighborhood I live very very close to my neighbors and have to walk up and down the street everyday so since you often bump into the same people on a daily basis, it makes it that much easier to chit chat and make new friends. Some people don't like to live in such dense cities, and thats fine, but it does make it easier to meet new people IMO. Because my BF doesn't get these types of opportunities he's mostly stuck with his 40 year old co-workers

All in all, I would consider Jacksonville to be an ideal city for families, or older people, just from what I have seen. I escaped the city I was born and raised in, it actually reminds me of Jacksonville a little, but I'm just not ready to return to that lifestyle...just yet...give me another 15-20 years.

Ok so seriously this is the end... I just think that for my particular needs at this time in my life I wouldn't want to live there, but it's not a bad city. Hope no one takes offense, this is just this particular Americans opinion
I think your analysis nailed it. It's harder to meet folks, young professionals included (although I think that's marginally easier since many YPs are also seeking to meet others) But as you also said, Jax isn't a bad city and I actually like it a bit more...or rather, I hope for it a bit more, because it's my hometown and it'll always have a special place in my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville