Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 15,054 times

Advertisements

HI!! I've been living in Hilton Head, SC for 2 yrs and though I love it, I am ready to get back to a larger city that offers more culture, opportunity, and diversity; as well as a larger dating pool! LOL. I lived in Atlanta for 5 yrs during 2000-2005 and loved it, however, I'm open to explore other cities. I'm a very young 39 year old single woman and am looking for any feedback on Atlanta, Charlotte, or Jacksonville. Being a licensed massage therapist and dance instructor/choreographer, I can find career opps anywhere. I appreciate any feedback!! Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply Joi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 02:40 PM

265 posts, read 993,901 times
Joi1,
I can relate in experience to both Atl and Jax. Since you know Atlanta well I will use it as a reference. I have no idea about Charlotte. Atlanta and jax are completely different cities. Jax's worst traffic doesn't hold a candle to Atl. Culturally I think jax is catching up from what we have seen. (we have been here a month and a half now so we are still looking through new eyes). The biggest difference I would say is pay and proximity to the ocean. The beaches here are wonderful and it seems the furthest you could be from them is about 50 minutes. But most live 30 minutes or less. The pay is quite a bit different but I would say the cost of living is less also. I feel this comparison is apples and oranges. These are 2 different kinds of cities maybe someone else can differentiate between the 2 but they are so different to me. Jax is laaaiiiiddd back, more Southern. I don't know if thats good or bad for you. Atlanta seemed to be always hopping, no matter the time of day. You know I don't think I helped you at all. good luck

Old 07-14-2007, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 15,054 times
Thank you so much! You did help and your reply was much appreciated!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:53 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joi1 View Post
HI!! I've been living in Hilton Head, SC for 2 yrs and though I love it, I am ready to get back to a larger city that offers more culture, opportunity, and diversity; as well as a larger dating pool! LOL. I lived in Atlanta for 5 yrs during 2000-2005 and loved it, however, I'm open to explore other cities. I'm a very young 39 year old single woman and am looking for any feedback on Atlanta, Charlotte, or Jacksonville. Being a licensed massage therapist and dance instructor/choreographer, I can find career opps anywhere. I appreciate any feedback!! Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply Joi
As Law Student said, Jax and ATL are two different areas in personality. Same thing with Jax and Charlotte. It all depends on what you're looking for. Jax has a different feel from those cities. It's more laid back, people are chill. To me it feels more like Phoenix, AZ than it does any of the other cities in the South outside of Florida b/c the people and the vibe are similar in nature. Plenty o diversity in either one of those cities. As far as the dating pool goes, it depends on what you're looking. You wanna get married, go to Charlotte possibily ATL. The guys in the ATL have the option of playing around a bit more b/c there is an outrageous number of single women there. In J'ville, the set is a little younger than ATL or Charlotte so you wanna be careful there as the guys have plenty of hot, very hot women to choose from and they may be somewhat less serious.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
If it helps, I met and married a Jax man after relocating to the NE FL area, and I know others that have as well. Plenty of nice men in Jax .

If you do move to the area, I'd recommend living in the dense, busy areas as opposed to the far out suburbs. I lived in St. Augustine at first, and the dating pool there was very limited.

Jax is a nice city, it's big enough (and getting bigger), and it's got the ocean, which the other 2 cities do not have .

Last edited by riveree; 07-14-2007 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: I meant "St." Augustine......what's wrong with me today?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:11 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
i think charlotte and jax are your best bets. charlotte = ppl are probably friendlier. jax = bch!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:33 AM

5 posts, read 20,689 times
Joi,
You would love Charlotte, NC! I just moved for my job from Charlotte to South Tampa and missing Charlotte badly! Check out South Park for shopping/dining. Or Ballantyne (where I worked) to meet 30-40-50 yrs young fun going people who go out and live it up even during the week. There's lots of awesome spas for job opportunities or there's creative loafing if you want to post your ad there. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 AM

57 posts, read 156,560 times
I cannot see doing any better than Atlanta if you want to be in the south. Why would you leave if you loved it there so much? But if a bigger city is what you are looking for I would say Charlotte is your next best bet. Florida does not have any true cities in comparison. Jacksonville is not even close to offering "larger city that offers more culture, opportunity, and diversity; as well as a larger dating pool! than Atlanta or Charlotte." Maybe Tampa might be a little closer but still very far off.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I think it also depends on how important the Ocean is to you. Jax is on the Ocean, the other 2 cities are not.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
the only advantage jax gives you is the beaches, which i love. but, to an everyday person not terribly interested in the beach, i think, overall, charlotte is the best choice. ppl are friendlier there, drive better, less crime, better overall quality of life than jax.

in my eyes, besides congestion and crime, which comes along with any big city, charlotte really doesnt have any negatives. and when you compare charlotte crime and congestion to say, orlando, charlotte looks much better on paper. traffic flow in charlotte is better, ppl drive better, and crime is just more rampant here in orlando. with less ppl so, go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville