Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:38 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manc View Post
I live there and you are in a culture shock, not only that I read in the local ponte vedra paper and it's on the net somewhere about a jewish family who feel are being forced out because they are jewish
I read that story and that is the one neighbor's CLAIM - it is not a fact.

Two neighbors are not getting along (maybe they're both a**holes?) and one of them is claiming that he is being persecuted for his religion, and oh yeah, he wants $200k for it.

That story is no reflection on the jewish communities of Jacksonville, Ponte Vedra or anywhere else - it is an isolated incident between two neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:33 PM

57 posts, read 379,198 times
cheers riv for clearing that up, at least you know I'm not making it up

I too was surprised such an article as you don't hear things like that here very often and thought theybmight be more to this than the original print on paper.

wasn't the jewish fell saying they wanted him to put christmas decorations up but the neighbours were saying that wasn't true and that they think he ruins the area because of the state of this house but now the housing association is now suing the jewish family and he's now counter suing them

cheers riv for any clarifacation

Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manc View Post

I too was surprised such an article as you don't hear things like that here very often and thought theybmight be more to this than the original print on paper.
Exactly - that's the point I was making as well. I'd hate for anyone to think they would not be welcomed in Jax because of their faith - this is a strange isolated incident, not the norm.

Jax is not perfect. Like any city, you will find some of the population to be intolerant, but it's not the majority here.

Yes, according to the guy suing, it started on the day he moved in, which was a day or so before Christmas day, and according to him, his neighbor demanded he put up Christmas lights (saying it was the neighborhood tradition that everyone does so).

I'd be annoyed at any neighbor who tried telling me what to do with my house. Now if it is written into the CCRs (rules) of the neighborhood, that's a different story.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
lw6

8 posts, read 34,720 times
Red face i had a culture shock

[quote=manc;1138088]I live there and you are in a culture shock, not only that I read in the local ponte vedra paper and it's on the net somewhere about a jewish family who feel are being forced out because they are jewish

you will expericnce a culture shock up here is very different to the south extremely different.

ponte vedra and palm coast has become expensive, palencia has homes for mostly NC,VA,SC, etc rich families or the ones I met are from there and I'm there every day

>>i moved from the midwest to s.fl. many yrs. ago. now my hubby and i want to move out of s.fl. i love some things here but it's not for us. we are for homeschooling but prob. will never do it. i'd love to be a vegetarian. we're different than south fl. flks. we both want to be where people are kind & friendly & s. fl. hasn't been kind to many lately. we cannot afford anthing expensive. we need to be under $300 for a 4 BR. we're thinking about jax.we also need to be among jews. we have always had friends of many religions but need to be among those who look @ the person not the rel. , wallet or other superficial stuff. also, i'm 43 yrs. and hubby is a little older.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:11 AM
lw6

8 posts, read 34,720 times
Default just a thought

a kind man reminded me the other day. u can see what u want to see. if u want to see that some one is not desirable cause he's jewish u can see that.if u didn't like jews or catholics B4 u met that guy; u are not going to like him any more cause "u think he talks a bit loud." or looks different than u.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 AM

16 posts, read 70,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janda"s mommy View Post
my husband has been offered a transfer to jax. we are currently living in south florida in weston, if anyone knows the area. we love it here, and our entire family lives here. we are very interesdted in moving but still very concerned. i am jewish and my husband is not. we are raising our two small children in both religions. we are hoping that moving to jacksonville will not be a culture shock for any of us. we are looking for someone to help and tell us the really nice areas to live and if there are any jewish reformed preschools around. we have looked into ponte vedre beach to live. i believe there is a new town going in there (not sure of the development name). are there any suggestions?
I live kinda near you, I hate this place too many people, way way way too much crime, no land left its all built up and where you live they have used almost all the empty land. I lived in Bonaventure back in 90-92 (when it was ok) im getting outa here LOL just my thought but a good one

Old 08-05-2007, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 17,227 times
You would feel very welcome in the San Jose, Beauclerc area of Jacksonville's southside. Available to all faith's is the Jewish Community Alliance which is a family fitness, pool, art, heritage, cultural center that is wonderful. This area has several synagogues. There are no Kosher restaurants, but there is a Kosher grocery in the area. On Saturday, you can see many Jewish families walking to services along San Jose Blvd. (A very busy 6 lane Road). The Mandarin Area (South of San Jose/Beaclerc area) is home to River Garden Hebrew Home which is a highly regarded care center and retirement village.
High end established neighborhoods to check out are Beaclerc,San Clerc, Montclair, Briarwood, San Jose Shores,San Marco, Mandarin. There are many newer neighborhoods around these areas, but these will get you to the epicenter of the vast Jewish community here. Visit the website for the JCA of Jacksonville (Jewish Community Alliance) and check out Jewish resources. P.S. The young man who checks out groceries at my Publix wears forelocks. This is a wonderful thing. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville