Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM

38 posts, read 110,943 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I'm going to be coming from overseas to Jacksonville in February for a check-up at the Mayo Clinic.

The hospital might not be able to set up an orthopedic appointment for me, so I'm open to suggestions to other orthopedic facilities in the area.

My areas of concern are the back and knee.

Thanks for your advice.

Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
If you're going to Mayo - stay in the Mayo system. There is some cooperation between the Mayo and non-Mayo docs here in JAX - but not a whole lot.

I really can't understand going to Mayo for a check-up (it's a secondary and tertiary - not a primary care center) - but what the heck. If you want any kind of workup for orthopedic problems - like a knee - get a referral from your local doctor - set up the appointments - and allow at least 3-4 days for the workup (you'll probably get lots and lots of tests).

FWIW - the "back doctors" there - they're neurosurgeons - not orthopedic surgeons. And they will insist on looking at an MRI before they'll even set up an appointment with you.

Dr. Paul Shirley - who's not at Mayo - is a well regarded knee doc here who specializes in arthroscopic knee surgery (no total knees or anything like that). He recently affiliated with the Heekin group (about which I know nothing).

One thing to keep in mind is that Mayo will frequently not accept things like MRIs and other tests done outside Mayo before doing surgical procedures in Mayo.

FWIW - my husband and I both use Mayo - but only for non-routine medical care. I had 2 minor operations there last year - one for skin cancer - one GYN - and was very pleased with both experiences (as pleased as I could be considering I was sick!).

Don't know how you plan to pay - but get it all straight in advance. Mayo is expensive - and many insurance plans don't cover any or parts of your care there. Robyn

And P.S. - Mayo doesn't screw around with the money stuff. You'll have to show you can pay there before you get past the registration desk.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 PM

95 posts, read 427,352 times
I would advise staying away from Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute (JSI), that's all I am going to say.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Look up Heekin Orthopedic they seem to be very popular with people I know who need knee & hip work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville