Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM

134 posts, read 253,131 times

Advertisements

My son is going to be 14 next week and I would love to give him something totally unexpected. He loves to watch all the hunting shows on TV and also thinks it would be great to ride an ATV on some trails.
The thing is we do not have any guns or an ATV. i was hoping someone may be familiar with a gun club or ATV place where I can make this happen. As far as the gun part goes, just some target practice would be fine with something bigger than a BB gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:06 PM

8,886 posts, read 20,262,668 times
We are members of a local gun club, but don't rent any kind of guns. Actually, don't know of any gun club that does or legally could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
My son is going to be 14 next week and I would love to give him something totally unexpected. He loves to watch all the hunting shows on TV and also thinks it would be great to ride an ATV on some trails.
The thing is we do not have any guns or an ATV. i was hoping someone may be familiar with a gun club or ATV place where I can make this happen. As far as the gun part goes, just some target practice would be fine with something bigger than a BB gun

Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 PM

47 posts, read 99,954 times
Wow!!!! A man after my own heart. I have been riding ATV's with my kids since they were 6 years old my oldest is now 19. We spent a lot of time riding together and had some awesome times. The problem is always the same everywhere you go and that is where can you ride legally????? Florida does have some state land that allows the use of ATV's but not much I'm sure. You pay the state to register the ATV buy insurance and they don't allow you to ride anywhere, that sucks. Renting an ATV is expensive and hard to find. I rented one for my wife in upstate NY once and think it was about $150 for the day.
Shooting or hunting are also good ways to spend time with your teenager although I would recommend a Hunter Safety Course first. Getting a kid in the woods and learning to hunt together is a lot of fun. It teaches discipline, patience and respect for nature and the environment. You can buy a brand new 20 gauge shotgun or a .22 caliber rifle from Walmart or other stores for $100. I would suggest a shotgun because you can use it for many more things like bird, turkey, squirrel, deer and also for trap shooting. Archery is also a terrific sport and you can shoot in your own yard at targets. Check out some of the Hunt and Gun clubs in your area many offer trap shooting or have ranges that are open to the publc at a minimal fee. Your kid will enjoy it more if you engage in the sport as well. Have fun be safe.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,467,076 times
not sure where you live but this is probably your best bet to go shooting in metro Jax area (westside) its on Zambito Rd. off of Noroad off of Old Middleburg Rd. just north of 103rd Street

GRPC Home

you cant rent guns handguns/long guns there, but I think you can rent handguns at some of the indoor ranges like Gun Gallery on Beach Blvd.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,090,849 times
Sounds like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen if you incorporate either into a birthday party for 14 year olds. LIABILITY! Take 'em to Lattitude 30 or something, and just get your son a nice shotgun (you can buy a decent shotgun used for $350-550 or a decent new gun from $450-750). It's an expensive gift, but they age well and hold their value. Or if you were going to spend a few thousand on an ATV, you could buy him a beautiful Benelli, Franchi, or Browning .

If you buy him an ATV, where in the heck would you keep it or ride it if you didn't have a farm/land outside of town? If you buy him a gun, at least you guys can join or go to the Jacksonville Gun Club on the Northside or WW Ranch on the Westside and go trap shooting (and you may see me out at WW ).

Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Mossberg makes a nice inexpensive shotgun for kids called the Bantam 500. They have a youth model with a shorter stock that would fit your son. They include a coupon for the adult stock once he grows out of the youth one. You get 2 barrels, a rifled, good for deer and a smooth barrel, with assorted chokes, good for everything else, small game, birds, turkey or trap shooting. I bought this model for my son when he was 12 and he uses it all the time he is 16 now. I bought it new at Walmart for $200 and it will last forever if you take care of it. I don't know if Walmart in Florida sells shotguns and rifles but they do where I live in NY and you can get some real good deals, ammo is also pretty cheap compared to other places. You and your sons should take a hunter safety course and get your hunting licenses then get out in the woods and spend some time together, you will love it.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 AM

^^^They do. Ammo/shells at Wal-Mart are the best deal. Guns, too, for saving money. Agree about Mossberg. I wouldn't go to Wal-Mart if you're really serious about the matter (like if you compete), but it sounds like you guys aren't.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,700,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
For children, Gateway Gun Club is a family oriented place. You can shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns. Do you have guns? They don't have rentals.

The only place with rentals is Gun Gallery but it's dark and dirty. Don't recommend it. You can only shoot guns and handgun calibers there.

Bullseye Range is great but you also need your own gun. Only handgun and handgun calibers.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 AM

It's hard to believe that any shooting range or club would rent guns of any type. The liability insurance must be very very expensive. Does anyone know how old you have to be to be licensed for a hand gun in Florida??? This might be a stupid question, but do you have deer and a deer hunting season in Florida??

Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM

I go to a handgun range here in Atlanta that rents guns (not to be carried off the premises, LoL). You can "rent" anything from a Glock 9 to an AK to an AR-15, granted everything is semi-auto or less. The liability is huge, which is why you sign about 50 papers and go through a talk and meet the owner(s). There is also a strict 18+ age limit. It's not a birthday party place.

If your son wants to get into trap shooting, the best place in NE FL is WW Ranch near Whitehouse on the westside. Get a membership and make it a father son thing. That's also not a birthday party place. They have everything there, from High house-Low house traditional to multi-station positional to a Long Course (like a golf course complete with rabits and clay pidgeons) to a Short Course. It is also where all of the NE FL shooting competitions are. It can be great fun for the family, too. Everyone is very nice and accomodating, and there are frequent barbecues and member get-togethers/competitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville