Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Savannah is lovely but it is deff. not South Georgia, Waycross, Homerville, Fargo, Thomasville and many other small towns under 10,000 in population ARE South Georgia and each of them in their own way are great places to live and grow-up in as is the western nether regions of Duval county. Just because we have less than 50 people per sq. mile doesnt mean we are less than the overcrowded rest of the county. It just means we like being less crowded, I live on 1500 ac in a well built home that never had wheels and I like waking up and not gazing upon any neighbors, watching deer on my lawn late in the evening and hawks hunting early in the morning. But thats just me Ive lived in St Louis downtown, midtown Manhatten and many cities overseas in my military career and also in Ponte Vedre and Avondale and enjoyed them all equally as well for the many diff things they offered.
Like I said I find nothing wrong with folks in South Georgia - I was joking that no one lives there. This
thread is comparing metro areas - I don't even know why
South Georgia comes up in that conversation. I keep thinking Savannah is further south that it actually is.

And no you are not less than metro folk. I'd be living
in the country right now if it wasn't for work.
I would love to see deer on my lawn in the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,048 times
Tampa and Jacksonville traffic are night and day. Tampa = crazy traffic, Jax, not so much. When we moved out here from CA, we spent a couple days in each city to decide where we wanted to live. The traffic and the drivers were a major consideration for me. In Tampa, I was doing 70 in the fast lane. What appeared to be an 80 year old man and his wife got right behind me and started honking. You can have that place.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Tampa and Jacksonville traffic are night and day. Tampa = crazy traffic, Jax, not so much. When we moved out here from CA, we spent a couple days in each city to decide where we wanted to live. The traffic and the drivers were a major consideration for me. In Tampa, I was doing 70 in the fast lane. What appeared to be an 80 year old man and his wife got right behind me and started honking. You can have that place.
apparently even NASCAR retirees move to Florida.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I don't feel cramped at all when I go to Tampa! ?? Tampa is not a dense city by any means and it sprawls to high heaven. Pinellas can be kind of cramped (just barely and not to me), but Tampa and Pinellas County are two very different places. Don't forget that much of Tampa Bay's population sprawls way north into Pasco (half a million people) and Hernando Counties (about 200,000 people). Hillsborough County is about 1.2 million people in 1,051 square miles of land. That's a relative density of about 1,140 people per square mile (and I did not include water). Duval County is about 855,000 people in 774 square miles of land, or about 1,105 people per square mile. Pretty equal if you ask me.

Pinellas is actually a densely populated county and feels sort of such (lots of *small* homes there packed into small lots). There are about 925,000 people in 280 square miles of land, giving a density of about 3,300 people per square mile (nowhere near as dense as Miami or northern cities).

Also, due to its age and the fact that for a long time Jacksonville was the metropolis of Florida (pre-automobile and during the streetcar era), Jacksonville's core neighborhoods are denser than most of Tampa's. In 1950, Jacksonville had a density of about 7,000 people per square mile (slightly less than Arlington VA and Baltimore and slightly more than Buffalo) and higher depending on the neighborhood. Today, Miami and most of Dade have population densities of between 8,000 and 13,000 people per square mile. *That's* dense.

Now Tampa's pace might be faster than Jacksonville's. That I can agree with. It's still a slowwww paced city compared to most cities its size or obviously larger.

Thanks for the compliments
I know, Pinellas is totally different. Tampa is so trafficky, if that is a word! Sprawl!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Pinellas County is a beach county. Duval County is a city county with beaches. The City of Jacksonville actually revolves around the river (a different look, feel, etc). The closer you are to the Intracoastal and of course if you live in one of the beach communities (Atlantic...will remind you of New England or LI, Neptune...same thing, Jax Beach, or Ponte Vedra Beach) then the community obviously revolves around the beach. PVB is like a cross between Vero Beach and Sea Island, GA. Jax Beach is younger and feels more like Daytona or Ft. Pierce or even parts of northern Pinellas County in South Jax Beach.

Jacksonville itself has much in common with Tampa, but definitely more cultural amenities and older neighborhoods (like I said, though, less "big city" amenities, Saks 5ths, and nightclubs). Pinellas County is like a poorer Sarasota area (I prefer DT St. Pete to Sarasota anyday though), and you won't find much similar to it in the Jacksonville area. Our beaches are like a cross between northeastern beach communities with old cedar shake homes amongst town centers and Sea Island, GA with graceful mansions and unpretentious money. The beaches are great for artists and "liberal intellectual" types, as are Riverside, Springfield, and San Marco in town. Lots of people compare the culture of Jax and Baltimore, believe it or not. Jax and Milwaukee also get lots of comparisons. NE FL is definitely "FL" in the geographical sense, but it has a different vibe, and aside from rural westside parts, it is NOT S GA.
Ok, please help me. I am an artsy woman, but not a snotty one, love books, liberal, but not one those far out types, offbeat, educated, but not one those suburbanites. I love books, museums, the beach, quiet, but love cafes, walking, galleries. Hated Tampa, due to pardon me, not all people being rednecks, but a lot! Too many tattoos, traffic, strip clubs, trailer trash, little landscaping, tacky streets, billboards, no character, too far from the beach, ugly as sin neighborhoods etc. Do you think JAcksonville is nice or do you think I would like St. Pete more. I enjoyed and loved it when I visited 3 times. I keep hearing how JAX is like Georgia, not Florida. Is that a good thing or bad? THX Pardon the messy writing. I am not feeling to well with the flu.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Personally, I don't find St. Pete to be that nice looking (like I said, a poor Sarasota if you ask me, but with a better downtown). For the most part, imo, Jax and Tampa look very similar and have similar populations. I've never been in a city that doesn't have redneck areas or rednecks visiting for the city experience. Both Tampa and Jax are mostly transplants, anyways.

That said, the only areas I love in Tampa are along Bayshore in Hyde Park/South Tampa. I appreciate the history of Ybor and West Tampa, as well (not what they have become), but I don't think I could live in those areas. You catch my drift?

If you do, then let me direct you to a few places you can really appreciate as a liberal, free-spirited artsy woman. Atlantic Beach for one (and Neptune Beach). Riverside. San Marco. Avondale. Springfield. I can personally guarantee that you'll be happy in any of those neighborhoods. You will also not find any rednecks in those neighborhoods, and they are all fairly liberal and diverse. Each neighborhood has a weekly or monthly art show, but Riverside is THE arts neighborhood in Jacksonville. The Cummer is in Riverside and Riverside Arts Market is the largest (by far) weekly art show and farmers market with live entertainment. Thousands go. MOCA Jax is also either a long stroll (1-3 miles) or a very short drive (it's in downtown).

Also, all of the above neighborhoods will not remind you of Florida, admittedly. Yes, there are palm trees and warm weather (remember, we do get cold snaps harder than Tampa, though). But, these neighborhoods are old, streetcar neighborhoods with gridded streets and old homes and boutique shops and independent restaurants. Avondale has the best restaurant scene. Riverside has the best arts scene. Atlantic Beach has the best beach scene and will remind you of Eastern Long Island or Provincetown to a degree (old cedar shake homes, bookstores, ice cream shops, artsy fartsy, everyone on bikes or walking, etc). Springfield is the up and coming artist/gay area and is gentrifying (houses are 100-130 years old and look like a cross between Key West and Upper Midwest). San Marco is pretty upscale and has a "square". It looks like a cross between South Florida, Europe, and colonial southern America.

I have so many pictures posted and I'll post more tonight. Just check out the photothread. Most pictures were taken during winter time with a point and shoot, just so you can get a picture of what we look like in the winter (not nearly as tropical looking as St. Pete, which is mostly zone 10a-10b).

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 PM

357 posts, read 783,426 times
sounds like Savannah would be perfect for you

Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Personally, I don't find St. Pete to be that nice looking (like I said, a poor Sarasota if you ask me, but with a better downtown). For the most part, imo, Jax and Tampa look very similar and have similar populations. I've never been in a city that doesn't have redneck areas or rednecks visiting for the city experience. Both Tampa and Jax are mostly transplants, anyways.

That said, the only areas I love in Tampa are along Bayshore in Hyde Park/South Tampa. I appreciate the history of Ybor and West Tampa, as well (not what they have become), but I don't think I could live in those areas. You catch my drift?

If you do, then let me direct you to a few places you can really appreciate as a liberal, free-spirited artsy woman. Atlantic Beach for one (and Neptune Beach). Riverside. San Marco. Avondale. Springfield. I can personally guarantee that you'll be happy in any of those neighborhoods. You will also not find any rednecks in those neighborhoods, and they are all fairly liberal and diverse. Each neighborhood has a weekly or monthly art show, but Riverside is THE arts neighborhood in Jacksonville. The Cummer is in Riverside and Riverside Arts Market is the largest (by far) weekly art show and farmers market with live entertainment. Thousands go. MOCA Jax is also either a long stroll (1-3 miles) or a very short drive (it's in downtown).

Also, all of the above neighborhoods will not remind you of Florida, admittedly. Yes, there are palm trees and warm weather (remember, we do get cold snaps harder than Tampa, though). But, these neighborhoods are old, streetcar neighborhoods with gridded streets and old homes and boutique shops and independent restaurants. Avondale has the best restaurant scene. Riverside has the best arts scene. Atlantic Beach has the best beach scene and will remind you of Eastern Long Island or Provincetown to a degree (old cedar shake homes, bookstores, ice cream shops, artsy fartsy, everyone on bikes or walking, etc). Springfield is the up and coming artist/gay area and is gentrifying (houses are 100-130 years old and look like a cross between Key West and Upper Midwest). San Marco is pretty upscale and has a "square". It looks like a cross between South Florida, Europe, and colonial southern America.

I have so many pictures posted and I'll post more tonight. Just check out the photothread. Most pictures were taken during winter time with a point and shoot, just so you can get a picture of what we look like in the winter (not nearly as tropical looking as St. Pete, which is mostly zone 10a-10b).
I am confused, are these places, riverside etc in Atlanta or Georgia? I do not want to go to California! Thanks. Sarasota is beautiful, but too ritsy. There are no rednecks where I live here in D.C., but I am tired of the high rents and it is getting worse. I love it here, and grew up here but forget about affordable housing. Thx

Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Atlanta is in Georgia, . California?

These places are in Jacksonville. They are all intown neighborhoods with the exception of Atlantic/Neptune Beach, which are obviously at the beach. This thread was about comparing the Tampa Bay area to Jacksonville. I cannot compare Jacksonville (or Tampa) to anywhere in the DMV. We get a lot of DC transplants, but that's the only connection Jax has to DC.

It sounds like you just want a nice neighborhood with some walkability and character and convenience to shops, restaurants, and museums. Clearly you like St. Pete. I feel you. Trust me. I happen to not like St. Pete outside of St. Pete's wonderful downtown. If you go back and read my posts, I know I'm biased, but I think they're spot on in differing St. Pete, Tampa, and Jax.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Sorry, just had a brain cloud. I am getting over the flu and a migraine ugh! I am better today, but need to stay off the computer! Obviously, as I am not doing well with geography! I love the name Savannah! I am sure that is not a reason to move to a place. I wonder how the job situation is there. I am, pardon the cliche, a mid lifer with experience in just about everything which is great, but I definitely am not into partying and all that BS. I do have an education and enjoy culture etc, but hate snooty types of fake art lovers. I love my hometown in D.C., but it is home of the snoots, and every time you turn around affordable housing is going bye bye and there are signs that read, "luxury townhomes coming soon, $500,000 to 1 million." I kid you not. Also, I have lived here all of my life. I remember living in an apt for ten years for $750 per month. It has always been high here and there are always jobs, but now it is becoming out of most people's price range. I read some things last night regarding JAX and none were good. There are constant fights over affordable housing and its a terrorist target everyday. I am going to check out Savannah's Web site. I also wonder if Atlanta is as bad as people say. I have heard nothing good about it. Have you or anyone else on the forum lived there or visited? I only saw the airport a few times! It seems interesting

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 12:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville