Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing is for sure, whenever crime is reported in any part of Jax, the media report it as "Westside", "Northside, "Southside" and "Northwest Jax", so THAT is what people relate to. Now, which area has the most crime that people who are (or thinking about) moving here want to know about? Which area is the safest to live in with kids? We all can agree that crime is pretty much everywhere today, but there are areas in every city that crime is more than in other areas. There are areas where the media reports on some type of crime almost on a daily basis (it seems), than other areas, if a major crime is done, it totally shocks the entire area and people will say "we just don't have this happen here"........and that could be very true.
Areas of the city that are used to crime aren't as shocked when it goes down because they see it (in most cases live it) everyday. Growing up in the Northside 'hood, I wasn't shocked at all to hear about a shooting/murder or other crime because I saw it everyday coming up so it was nothing to me to see police sirens wailing up and down the block, cops chasing bad guys up and down the street, etc.

Quote:
if a major crime is done, it totally shocks the entire area and people will say "we just don't have this happen here"........and that could be very true.
This is definitely true in most of the Southside. But now, Northside/NW Jax criminals are taking their crime to the Southside because for them, why rob someone that's just as broke as them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MovingtoFlorida View Post
Has anyone ever heard of Shannon Ridge Apts? Is that a bad place to live?
Thats off of Lem Turner near Dunns. I used to go over there to visit a friend. Its a pretty quiet complex.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
You must not be that familiar with the Northside if you don't know that the area near the stadium was historically called the Eastside.
Eastside Jacksonville is a neighborhood on the Northside, east of Springfield.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Is downtown JAX right on the coast? I don't think so. Therefore, there must be an eastside.
Jax Beach is the Southside. Its gets no more east than that.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notSilverman View Post
OK after reading this thread through, the other day I have been doing some research and discovered there is no Westside of Jacksonville and no Southside either. There is a NorthWest and a SouthWest and also a SouthEast but no NorthEast, There is an Arlington Area, and a Beaches Area and of course the Northside and an Urban Core Area. And I found a map that shows it. Here's the Map

Plus there used to be an east side that some people say never existed, but did *** LOL*** Makes you wonder doesn't it? Here's what I found about the East Side:

Eastside, or East Jacksonville, is a residential neighborhood located directly to the east of Downtown and Springfield. Unlike the areas known as Northside, Westside, and Southside, Eastside does not comprise a large section of Duval County. Eastside contains Jacksonville's sports complex, including EverBank Field, Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, and the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
The original East Jacksonville development was a small residential community located east of Jacksonville along the St. Johns River, which grew up shortly after the Civil War. Two other communities grew up around this time; Oakland and Fairfield. Oakland was a working-class, largely African-American community. Fairfield was located farther east, along the northward bend of the river. Its attraction was as the location of Jacksonville's first Fairgrounds, which was the source of its name. These included a racetrack, the forerunner to Jacksonville's sports venues. Fairfield was incorporated as a city; in 1887 all three communities were among those annexed by Jacksonville.
Eastside has remained the center of Jacksonville's annual Fair and sports complexes, as well as a center of industry in the city. As with other inner city neighborhoods across the United States it underwent precipitous decline since the mid-20th century, though it has been the center of urban renewal projects. All of this information and much more was located on Wikipedia at this link here ... Neighborhoods of Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Im very family with that map, Northwest does not have much development and is apart of the Westside. The Westside - Northside border is US1. Its the Paxon 1 10 area that causes so much confusion because so many black people live there. but both Paxon and I 10 are the Westside.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM

If you wanna know where the REAL red necks are in Jacksonville go deep North West....deep Prichard Rd, Garden St, Chaffee Rd, Old Plank Rd....No street lights, narrow streets and white sheets. A real danger zone if you the wrong race. Now what yall know about that?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
If you wanna know where the REAL red necks are in Jacksonville go deep North West....deep Prichard Rd, Garden St, Chaffee Rd, Old Plank Rd....No street lights, narrow streets and white sheets. A real danger zone if you the wrong race. Now what yall know about that?
LMAO ... deep Pritchard Rd, Garden St, Chaffee Rd, Old Plank Rd ... LOL .. that's about halfway to my Deep Northwest neighborhood try Otis Rd and 301. My back yard property line abuts Cary State Forest, in Nassau county my front yard is in Duval county. And there isn't a street
light within 7 miles of my house, and yes it is a house and not a trailer. Narrow streets well yea mainly because you get a car going down the street I live on maybe once every 10-15 minutes or so. Did you know that they are building a new road from the Chaffee Road that's off of Pritchard to the Chaffee Rd that goes to I-10 just so the trucks from all the industrial businesses on Pritchard, 4 lanes with street lights and sidewalks. And yes I have seen white sheets hanging out to dry on some of the nicer spring days, but none with eye holes in them. Years ago Marrietta was the black no-go zone in Jax, but even there, I see very few white sheets with eyeholes now a days.
Do you hear that? I think hes whistling Dixie.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:29 AM

Inner Northwest Jacksonville would be considered a no-go zone for whites and rednecks, same with inner Northside.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
One has to wonder why the police dont just go in there and start beating the **** out of people. The crime will end soon enough. Better yet, have the Navy use the Northside as target practice.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
One has to wonder why the police dont just go in there and start beating the **** out of people. The crime will end soon enough. Better yet, have the Navy use the Northside as target practice.
One, the police will be marked for death if they went in and started beating the stuffing out of inner-city residents. Two, cops are the enemy of the ghetto so you know how that would go. Three, in most of the Northside ghetto, the criminal element is better armed so they're ready to go to war if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville