Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,234 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to Florida at the end of August. In reading other posts here it seems like the best thing for me to do is be VERY specific. That way everyone will be able to be more helpful. So here it goes.

We want to rent an apartment/townhome/condo. Rent only and do not plan to buy. We need to be within 30 min of the airport because he will be using the Jacksonville airport to travel to work. We have no pets.

We need 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a garage on site. We aren't worried about schools or employment. We are in our 40's so no retirement communites, but we are very quiet and do not care for loud music or loud areas. Price range is $700-$1000 per month. Hoping to find newer construction. Must have a patio/balcony screened in.

The Lighthouse at Flemming Island and Cobblestone at Eagle Harbor seem to have good reviews. I am leaning more towards St. Augustine area since it seems to be a little slower pace, but we are very open to suggestions.

Any constructive suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by LoJo71; 02-09-2011 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,881,967 times
St. Augustine will not work for you if you want to be within 30 min of the Jacksonville Airport.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM

We can work with a longer commute if need be. He just needs to be near a major airport for work. Palm Coast has also sounded nice and then he could use the Daytona airport. He has always wanted to live in Florida so we are going to give it a try. We love the heat so we are hoping it will work out well.

Last edited by LoJo71; 02-09-2011 at 09:23 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,695,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJo71 View Post
We can work with a longer commute if need be. He just needs to be near a major airport for work. Palm Coast has also sounded nice and then he could use the Daytona airport. He has always wanted to live in Florida so we are going to give it a try. We love the heat so we are hoping it will work out well.
I'm not that sure how good daytonas airport is. If you really need to fly then JAX Int'l is bigger & better. How about Tampa?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 AM

28 posts, read 45,196 times
Lighthouse and Cobblestone should be in your range with that budget, but at cobblestone, you'll be paying an extra $40 a month just to live there, because of a CDD fee. I have a post on here ( you may have read it) since I am also house hunting down there, and I just spoke to someone at clay county utility authority to confirm it with them, it was maybe two weeks ago. With lighthouse, unless you're in a unit that can access satellite cable, you have to have Broadband Cti, which costs about the same as regular cable, but has a lot less channels, and no HDtv. I don't know how much something like that matters to you, but it seems frustrating to have to pay for something you don't even want.

That might be a tough commute as well, just from what I've heard coming from orange park and going to the airport. I suppose it would depend on what time of the day you were going, but I would guess if it's during morning/ afternoon rush hour, it wouldn't be fun. On google maps, from lighthouse on fleming island over to Jax, it says 45 minutes, 36.6 miles, taking 295 N.

I would honestly consider renting a house or townhome, mainly because you said you're quiet people, and I'm sure you won't appreciate having to hear your neighbors all the time I'm only 22, but I have a one year old son, and we're leaning toward a house/townhome because I just don't want to deal with all the things that come with living in an apartment. If you like the fleming island/ orange park area, I would get a hold of a realtor down there and that will give you more options. I know how hard it is to find a place to live, we're in a situation where we don't have an exact date yet, so everything is up in the air! I do hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Thank you for the great input so far! My boyfriend will need to fly to Philly so we just need to be near an airport with direct flights if possible. We are pretty open to most areas in FL. We don't want a house at all because we love the fact that if the waterheater or something breaks it's someone elses problem. No lawns to mow, pool to clean..etc. Apartment living makes it easier for us to hop in the car or on the motorcycle and take off for a few days or a few weeks if the desire strikes us! A townhome would be perfect, but we do live in an apartment now in Greensboro and love that too.

I'll take a look at Tampa too! I'm sure that this all sounds crazy to most people, but we both figured out that life is way to short to not give a dream a shot. That is the nice thing about renting instead of buying. If you don't like it you don't have to wait to sell to leave. Keep sending me the great input! Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:49 PM

206 posts, read 571,370 times
For others looking for a place to live, my place in Las Palmas will be available as of March 1st, 2012

Condo in luxury gated community (http://staugustine.craigslist.org/apa/2846811339.html - broken link)

thanks
Charlene

Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 PM

4,802 posts, read 5,981,993 times
Amelia Island is 30 minutes to JIA. Small beach community northeast of Jacksonville.

Good luck with whatever you find and welcome

Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM

14 posts, read 22,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeebe View Post
For others looking for a place to live, my place in Las Palmas will be available as of March 1st, 2012

Condo in luxury gated community (http://staugustine.craigslist.org/apa/2846811339.html - broken link)

thanks
Charlene
Hi!
Since the post has been deleted, have you found someone to rent?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,471,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicM987 View Post
Hi!
Since the post has been deleted, have you found someone to rent?
Try sending auntbeebe a direct message. But as the link has been deleted I would figure the place has been rented!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville