Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,854 times

Advertisements

Our multi-generational family (3 adults and 1toddler) may be relocating to the Duval/St. John area in the next several months due to job transfer. The new office location is in Deerpark.

I'm researched quite a bit on both these counties and it seems like Duval County gets alot of questionable reviews from the locals. St. Johns County seems to have the best of education, environment, but lacks stores, social, etc?

We love Naples and moving will be difficult enough.

I would love your opinion on the two counties. I will be arriving in two weeks to "scope" out housing, neighborhoods, etc.

Thank you for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
I would not say that St. Johns County lacks stores. We do not have a large regional mall in St. Johns County but those in Duval are 30 minute drive from St. Augustine. We do have 2 large outlet malls and "box store" shopping centers in addition to local shops in downtown St. Augustine. I have noticed that the singles posting seem to believe that St. Johns County does not have much to offer singles in terms of bar type meet and greet environments. The southside of Jacksonville would be the area where those types of venues would be. Naples is quite nice but so are many areas of NE Florida. You probably will not duplicate Naples here, but you can have a great life if you make up your mind to "bloom where you are planted". The DeerPark area is very accessable from many places. If schools are important, St. Johns County is definitely where you will want to live when your child is school aged. You have some time to rent somewhere until schools become important and by then you will have first hand knowledge of various neighborhoods.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. What neighborhoods in St. Johns County would you recommend?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
To recommend a neighborhood, I would need to know if you are looking to rent an apartment, condo, townhouse or single family home, size and price range? There are some condo rental bargains in Palencia which is a really nice area in northern St. Johns County at US 1 and International Golf Parkway.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM

We are interested in single family homes. If it has a guest house than main house would be okay with 3 BD. If it's a split bedrooms than a 5BD is what we would like. We also want a community that has a lot to offer. Less than $750K

Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
I relocated to St Augustine from Sarasota nine months ago and never looked or gone back
Schools are gerat people friendly, we have seasons, shops are not like Naples but great malls near Jax. Best thinhg is we can get out of State quickly when we want a dose of hills.
As for living I would suggest with your budget Ponte Vedra, Palencia or where I love downtown St Augustine.
Feel free to fire away any quetsions

Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM

530 posts, read 1,351,218 times
Depends on what you mean by " a lot to offer". If you are golfers, I would look at Marsh Landing. If not I would check out Coastal Oaks in Nocatee. Palencia has some great buys right now as well, if you do not care about being close to the beach.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM

I love the idea of being close to the beach. We are not golfers (yet) but big tennis players. How far is St. Augustine when you are talking commuting to work (office near Deerwood Park)?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,218 times
Its a haul from downtown...too far in my view. Would not be too bad from either Palencia or Nocatee. If being closer to the beach is important I would check out Coastal Oaks. Toll Brothers I'm sure could build you a home that fits what you are looking for.Toll Brothers - Clarington Description
The Clarington comes to mind as something that might work for you.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,481 times
This is one local that does not give Duval County questionable reviews. My children were educated in Duval County. One is a 2009 graduate of Florida State University and the other one attends the University of Central Florida. So, as you can see, students of the Duval County School District manage to actually get into college and have the background education to earn a bachelor's degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville