Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM

65 posts, read 161,156 times

Advertisements

OK, we are a couple of 60-something retirees, and have been in Jax a couple of yrs. family in the area, including a 1 yr old grandson. We are considering leaving our 3rd floor walkup for a small house, and are looking at different parts of Jax.
We want a 3br, 2 ba, 2 car garage, 1400-2000 sq ft, $150,000-200,000, in an area maybe 10 to 20 yrs old.

I would like a neighborhood large enough to have at least a small pool and gathering area, since we no longer meet folks at the workplace. I would like a mix of ages: enough retirees so I am not the old one left on the street when all the cars pull out of their garages at 7am. I have explored the over-55 places, and that is definitely not it. I like the idea of kids in the area- I want the grandson to have friends in our neighborhood, and a playground to go to.

A yard big enough to put up a fence and store a small rv behind it would be a bonus. Or a neighborhood storage lot for everyone's big toys would be ok too, but not as convenient I guess.

The parts of town we are considering are:
--Greenland Rd area, off Old St Augustine. I really liked the look of Waterford Estates, but don't know if there is enough of an age mix there. We might be all alone in the over-60 demographic.. ideas?
--Mandarin peninsula. Saw some nice small subdiv's, but w/out the common areas I would like to have. Chelsea Cove was one. Looked great, but no common areas.
--Julington Creek. a bit far south, and is it all young families? Have not driven that area yet.
--Fleming Island. yeah, Buckman Bridge and all that, I know. There appear to be a lot of different areas there, including some clearly over what we want to pay. No interest in golf/tennis, so do not want to be in a dedicated 'golf community', and there appears to be a lot of that there.

Bartram Park/Springs? Are there places there that would fit?

Suggestions? Opinions? Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
Have you looked a little further south at Nocatee and Palencia.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM

Looked at Nocatee, and it all seemed too new. I like neighborhoods the same way I like dogs... I don't buy/adopt puppies b/c you never know what the mature personality will be, and I think neighborhoods are the same; you never quite know what you've got until a few yrs later.

I will look at Palencia- never heard of that one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Palencia is ~20 minutes south of the Mandarin area.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
Palencia may be to new for you if you dont like Nocatee

Old 03-03-2011, 03:38 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times
What about Ponte Vedra Beach? Very popular with retirees.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 AM

18 posts, read 104,545 times
Batram Park, is relatively new also. Greenland Road has some older neighborhoods, as well as new construction, but also keep in mind there is an Elementary and High School on that road, so I'm not sure how many retiree's are in the area. I grew up in Mandarin, but of course being a kid I only recognized the other kids You might want to try a little farther down Old St. Augustine Road. Losco Rd. has a lot of neighborhoods that are all older. There's a neighborhood called Walnut Bend a little further down that an older neighborhood, there's not a public pool in that one, but they do have a park. Loretto Rd. also has a lot more older neighborhoods, but there is also an Elementary school on that road(I'm not sure how close you wanted to live to a school, the traffic can get kinda bad during drop off/pick up times) But all in all Mandarin has a pretty good mix of all ages in the neighborhoods. It's probably the nicest area of Jacksonville, at least it's the only area I would even consider sending my kids to public school. Hope this was somewhat helpful

Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. Especially wewantseasons, you gave me some really good suggestions. We want a real mix of ages, so it sounds as though the Mandarin area generally is good to pursue. Don't really mind school traffic. In fact we are both retired high school teachers, so sub teaching might even be an option st some point.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM

18 posts, read 104,545 times
You're welcome! Like I said I grew up in that area, so if you have any questions you can DM me, but I think you said you have family in the area, I'm sure they'll have some answers for you too

Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
You're likely to find some good properties for your price range in our area. I live and work in Mandarin and have seen the sale prices come down quite a bit in the last few years. A buyer I'd been working with for 2 years just closed in January, being able to buy a much larger home for their price range, which they never would have gotten when I first started showing them houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville