Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times

Advertisements

I will second Affordable Carpet for the tile work. While I haven't dealt with them directly (I usually do my own tile work), I have dealt with some customers who used them and were very pleased.

Heh, normally I'd send a DM and do an estimate, but 2000 sq ft. is a bit beyond my scope.

Quote:
OTOH - one way for owners to protect themselves when they're doing medium to larger jobs is to use workers/vendors who accept credit cards. Because - if you pay by credit card - and the worker/vendor is a bum and runs away with your money - you can put the charge in dispute and usually recover what you paid. No need to do this if you're talking about $100-200 - but it could be important when it comes to larger jobs. Robyn
Most definitely. While I haven't yet built my business down here up to the point where I feel it is necessary to take credit cards (not to mention I'm usually in the small job range), I agree that on larger jobs the major credit card companies offer an extra level of protection for the homeowner. I personally don't have (or want) a major credit card. I tend to live by the rule of "if you can't pay cash, you probably don't need it." However, remember that a debit card with a Mastercard or Visa logo offers those same protections without the interest rate.

Also, if you aren't comfortable paying cash, don't. Trust your instincts when dealing with service people, just like when dealing with anyone else. If they seem at all iffy, pay with a check so you at least have a paper trail. Then again, if they seem iffy, I probably wouldn't deal with them, but sometimes you get stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Also - if the job costs more than $2500 - it's important to comply with the mechanics' lien laws:

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...a_lien_law.pdf

Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Sounds like you need more than a home handyman. Probably a roofing company - and some kind of contractor who can repair any damage that's been done to your rafters/ceilings/etc. by water and/or insects. I don't know if a roofing company will go up into your attic to inspect and tell you what's going on - but - if it will - that is probably a good place to start.

FWIW - Benton Roofing did the roof on our house about 15 years ago:

Benton Roofing Inc.

But we've only had 1 small repair done by them over the years - replacing some shingles (the original work was excellent) - and I can't give you a current read on the company.

I don't have a termite bond. But - if you do - does your policy provide for any kind of free annual inspection? If so - perhaps that might be a place to start too. Especially since we're in the middle of termite swarming season now.

If the siding is a separate job - perhaps that's something our home handyman can do (he's not a licensed GC - and he's not a roofer). Robyn

P.S. This is something I'd definitely take care of before the rainy season starts.
Just in case people are still using this list to get estimates, etc. Benton no longer does residential roofing in JAX. They bumped my request to another company.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
I'm sorry this is an old thread, but feel the need to respond. Cricketfan, you have given GREAT advice over the years I've been on this forum, but I take exception to your premise to avoid small business. If everyone avoided small business, we'd be facing much worse workmanship and higher prices. It is small businesses that keep the big business honest. I mean really, how can you state something like that. My brother is a small business owner, in business for 30 years with a stellar reputation. Ok, one example, sure, but there are many, many more out there. Geez. I look to the small mom-pops any day over the big daddies. Length of time is very telling to me, not the size of the company. Any good company will give you references.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
I'm sorry this is an old thread, but feel the need to respond. Cricketfan, you have given GREAT advice over the years I've been on this forum, but I take exception to your premise to avoid small business. If everyone avoided small business, we'd be facing much worse workmanship and higher prices. It is small businesses that keep the big business honest. I mean really, how can you state something like that. My brother is a small business owner, in business for 30 years with a stellar reputation. Ok, one example, sure, but there are many, many more out there. Geez. I look to the small mom-pops any day over the big daddies. Length of time is very telling to me, not the size of the company. Any good company will give you references.
agreatlife
You are one of the posters on this forum whose opinions I always respect and almost always agree with. That was four years ago and I might have overstated my point. I had just moved from a big city (NY) where, although they have their share of crooks, workers have to be on top of their game or they will be eaten alive by the competition. That is not the case here. Anyone can print a bunch of business cards and stick a sign in the ground and call himself a contractor.

Of course they are exceptions and those exceptions are the ones who over a time will build up a reputation for competent and reliable service like your brother. But you have to be living here for a while to surround yourself with good reliable help. My post was directed to the newcomer to NEFL and when you are new to a city you will always lack the benefit of other people's recommendations. My point about turning to more established contractors was because recognized businesses are generally more accountable and you can hold their feet to the fire. They have a presence, whereas the smaller fly-by-night entrepreneur may do the job and then disappear off the radar. This is not a knock on all the mom and pops and yes, we do need them. The trick is weeding out the bad ones.

Last edited by cricketfan; 10-05-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Just in case people are still using this list to get estimates, etc. Benton no longer does residential roofing in JAX. They bumped my request to another company.
Thanks for the update. The last time Benton was at my house - it was to replace some shingles that had to be removed and replaced when we had a minor roof leak repaired. I think that even perhaps then (don't know for sure) - the owner perhaps came by to do the roof work as a favor to the person who did the leak repair (fellow who was the super on our house who does home handyman work for us now).

FWIW - last time I looked - our home handyman (who used to be a construction super) was still looking for work. He lives out at the Beaches - but I reckon he would travel some for work (although perhaps not out to places as far away as OP). He is not a licensed contractor - so he can't pull permits. And he won't do any but the most minor electrical or plumbing stuff. But he is excellent in terms of day to day things that have to be done around the house. Please feel free to DM me for contact details. Note that he is not cheap - not a minimum wage guy. You get what you pay for IMO. Robyn

Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
...My point about turning to more established contractors was because recognized businesses are generally more accountable and you can hold their feet to the fire. They have a presence, whereas the smaller fly-by-night entrepreneur may do the job and then disappear off the radar. This is not a knock on all the mom and pops and yes, we do need them. The trick is weeding out the bad ones.
At this point - the building bust has weeded out a lot of building related service people. Not only the bad and the ugly - but many good ones too. Don't think it's any easier to pick service people today - but there are fewer of them doing a lot less work (for example - our plumbing firm - old and well established - has gone from about 60 employees to < 15). Robyn

Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
I've had three roofing companies out to look at doing a small job and one was a joke, but the other too were great when I checked them out. However, they think my job is too small.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Fsquid, if you're still looking for a roofer, give James Neill a call. I've worked alongside him on a couple jobs, and he's about the most meticulous roofer I've ever met.

His phone # is 904-221-5981
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville