Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Just curious - as a muni bond investor - does anyone know what would happen to homeowners if the CDD bonds defaulted (entirely possible - they're junk munis now). I don't. I think it's a pretty important issue in terms of what a homeowners' future obligations might be. Robyn
Robyn, this is our biggest fear and why we are a little reluctant to buy in a newer subdivision. We loved Nocatee. But I'm concerned about the CDD bonds in such a new community, especially given the economy.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. I'm not an attorney...just have a B.S. in Legal Studies and very little experience in Real Estate Law... so dumb it down a little for me.

We moved to St. Johns almost a year ago. We are really happy that we decided to rent first, however we would like to buy within the next six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 PM

25 posts, read 94,512 times
Default David Weekley

I'm also dealing with David Weekley in the WillowCove area. We are about to sign a contract. I have been impressed with the sales staff. DW is a little more that we wanted to spend in WillowCove but the floor plan matches our lifestyle and the lot we wanted. I just hope the neighborhoods build up soon so we can get more business nearby. Can someone explain where the schools will be for sure? I have a 4 1/2 yr old and would like to know if a school is coming in that is closer. Thanks everyone and happy building!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheAv8tor View Post
I have a 4 1/2 yr old and would like to know if a school is coming in that is closer. Thanks everyone and happy building!
I have heard so many different things, I finally decided to get it straight from the horse's mouth. I have a call into SJC schools, and as soon as I hear anything, I'll be sure to post.

When I called about a year ago, I was told the first school would be a K-8th somewhere near the waterpark. I have since heard that the second school built will be an elementary IN (and just for) Coastal Oaks (which annoys me a lot! ). Now the most recent "rumor" is that the K-8 will be across from Austin Park at the entrance of Greenleaf Village.

Any of the options would be fine with me as long as it happens soon! I have a daughter at PVPV, and while she's really happy there, the drive is ridiculous in my opinion. They actually drive by another elem school on their 30 min bus ride to school. They have nearly 1200 kids, so it seems logical (at least to me!) that we're due for a school.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Robyn, this is our biggest fear and why we are a little reluctant to buy in a newer subdivision. We loved Nocatee. But I'm concerned about the CDD bonds in such a new community, especially given the economy.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. I'm not an attorney...just have a B.S. in Legal Studies and very little experience in Real Estate Law... so dumb it down a little for me.

We moved to St. Johns almost a year ago. We are really happy that we decided to rent first, however we would like to buy within the next six months.
As strange as this seems - I have to deal with lots of personal and family financial - medical - and legal problems. As well as trying to improve my golf game .

I really don't have a clue what will happen when some the of CDD bonds in Florida default (and some will - most are basically junk munis now). I know I wouldn't invest 10 cents in them - but I don't know what it would mean for the people who own property in the CDD.

I do suggest reading all the documents that you will have to sign when buying something. They are usually long and boring - but written in pretty plain English.

I would also recommend figuring out what would happen with a HOA if only 25% of the houses planned for there are built - and the builder who owns the remaining lots goes belly up.

I've bought places to live in Florida in real estate busts before - but never in one as bad as this one. Robyn

Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheAv8tor View Post
I'm also dealing with David Weekley in the WillowCove area. We are about to sign a contract. I have been impressed with the sales staff. DW is a little more that we wanted to spend in WillowCove but the floor plan matches our lifestyle and the lot we wanted. I just hope the neighborhoods build up soon so we can get more business nearby. Can someone explain where the schools will be for sure? I have a 4 1/2 yr old and would like to know if a school is coming in that is closer. Thanks everyone and happy building!
I wouldn't count on any new schools in St. Johns County in any particular place. Perhaps some will be built - but in terms of buying a place - I wouldn't count on anything anywhere. Robyn

Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
I have heard so many different things, I finally decided to get it straight from the horse's mouth. I have a call into SJC schools, and as soon as I hear anything, I'll be sure to post.

When I called about a year ago, I was told the first school would be a K-8th somewhere near the waterpark. I have since heard that the second school built will be an elementary IN (and just for) Coastal Oaks (which annoys me a lot! ). Now the most recent "rumor" is that the K-8 will be across from Austin Park at the entrance of Greenleaf Village.

Any of the options would be fine with me as long as it happens soon! I have a daughter at PVPV, and while she's really happy there, the drive is ridiculous in my opinion. They actually drive by another elem school on their 30 min bus ride to school. They have nearly 1200 kids, so it seems logical (at least to me!) that we're due for a school.
Most of us who have been in SJC for a while aren't big fans in terms of paying higher taxes for more schools for "white flight" people who don't care to live in Duval County. I don't want SJC to become another Broward County. Best I can figure out - there are no schools planned for the Palencia area - and haven't heard of anything new in the Nocatee area (not with a grand total of about 500 houses there). Each kid in school here costs about $5k a year - so unless you're paying more than that in property taxes - I am subsidizing your kids. Which I don't care to do.

FWIW - you won't get any straight answers from anyone in terms of schools - especially from elected officials - because the voters in SJC tend to vote out the big spenders. Robyn

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Most of us who have been in SJC for a while aren't big fans in terms of paying higher taxes for more schools for "white flight" people who don't care to live in Duval County. I don't want SJC to become another Broward County. Best I can figure out - there are no schools planned for the Palencia area - and haven't heard of anything new in the Nocatee area (not with a grand total of about 500 houses there). Each kid in school here costs about $5k a year - so unless you're paying more than that in property taxes - I am subsidizing your kids. Which I don't care to do.

FWIW - you won't get any straight answers from anyone in terms of schools - especially from elected officials - because the voters in SJC tend to vote out the big spenders. Robyn
I'm not sure I get your point. There are many, MANY things I don't care to pay for through taxes, but unless we scrap the public school system, taxes are always going to go towards schools. I paid into a system long before I had kids in it and I will long after they've graduated...like it or not, that's the way we've decided to run our public education system. I don't know how building another school to meet the needs of a growing community is a bad thing. I'm sure you're reaping a lot of the benefits of a growing area, too - ones that are "subsidized" by taxpayers.

I was told that SJC schools needed 500 school-aged children in Nocatee to start the process of building a new school. With 500 families, I would think it's pretty close to that number already. Maybe they're making it all up and don't plan to ever build a new school ever again, but eventually (like it or not), the "white flight" folks are going to require another school.
There are already several pieces of land in Nocatee slated for schools and between now and 2014, SJC has projected 2 new schools (a K-8 and an elementary), so I would guess one of those (if not both) will be in Nocatee.

Last edited by hlauburn; 03-10-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
I'm not sure I get your point. There are many, MANY things I don't care to pay for through taxes, but unless we scrap the public school system, taxes are always going to go towards schools. I paid into a system long before I had kids in it and I will long after they've graduated...like it or not, that's the way we've decided to run our public education system. I don't know how building another school to meet the needs of a growing community is a bad thing. I'm sure you're reaping a lot of the benefits of a growing area, too - ones that are "subsidized" by taxpayers.

I was told that SJC schools needed 500 school-aged children in Nocatee to start the process of building a new school. With 500 families, I would think it's pretty close to that number already. Maybe they're making it all up and don't plan to ever build a new school ever again, but eventually (like it or not), the "white flight" folks are going to require another school.
There are already several pieces of land in Nocatee slated for schools and between now and 2014, SJC has projected 2 new schools (a K-8 and an elementary), so I would guess one of those (if not both) will be in Nocatee.
A lot of us moved here because it was St. Johns County - not Broward County. And I don't care to subsidize a lot of white flight families in $200-300k houses whose property taxes won't even pay for 1 kid in school (much less any other county services). And I don't reap any benefits from living in SJC - other than a nice peaceful lifestyle and a nice place to play golf. In terms of goods and services and the like - get almost 100% of that in Duval County.

Considering that there are only about 500 occupied houses now in Nocatee - I don't see why on earth our elected officials would consider building a school there. Just like there are no plans to build a school at/near Palencia. Marsh Landing has 1100 houses - and we don't have a dedicated school for Marsh Landing. Perhaps when Nocatee is getting near built out - even half built out - I think it's approved for 20,000 houses - something like that - it will have schools. But I will probably be dead by then. Robyn

P.S. A lot of people here think like me - and vote accordingly.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:45 AM

530 posts, read 1,350,919 times
I usually agree with Robyn, but not this time. White flight? huh? Nocatee is the best planned community I have seen in Jacksonville hands down. From the roads and infrastructure, designated open spaces, all connected golf cart community, over the top landscape requirements, donated land for churches and schools, on and on. That is why I chose to buy here. I also think the black, asian, Indian, etc families that own here might not agree with white flight. Nocatee has also recently been the sole financier of the sidewalk project in Palm Valley connecting sidewalks from the inter-coastal bridge to Palm Valley road and Mickler. It is good for the area in general and of-coarse it going to have new schools. I am always concerned about wasted tax dollars, but in this instance schools are kind of a needed commodity don't you think?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
A lot of us moved here because it was St. Johns County - not Broward County. And I don't care to subsidize a lot of white flight families in $200-300k houses whose property taxes won't even pay for 1 kid in school (much less any other county services). And I don't reap any benefits from living in SJC - other than a nice peaceful lifestyle and a nice place to play golf. In terms of goods and services and the like - get almost 100% of that in Duval County.

Considering that there are only about 500 occupied houses now in Nocatee - I don't see why on earth our elected officials would consider building a school there. Just like there are no plans to build a school at/near Palencia. Marsh Landing has 1100 houses - and we don't have a dedicated school for Marsh Landing. Perhaps when Nocatee is getting near built out - even half built out - I think it's approved for 20,000 houses - something like that - it will have schools. But I will probably be dead by then. Robyn

P.S. A lot of people here think like me - and vote accordingly.
So you don't have your garbage picked up? You don't drive on the SJC roads? Don't go to the library?

As far as schools go....I guess we'll see. Like I mentioned, there are 2 new schools slated for the next few years, and I hope one in here in Nocatee, more for location than anything.
Glad you're not on the board or I might be dead by then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville