Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:47 AM

6 posts, read 28,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't agree with you that it is 100% tied to income. I had a housekeeper here for about 10 years (she's a nanny now). From Peru. She and her husband were school teachers in Peru - but couldn't teach here due to poor English when they first moved here. They obviously didn't have a lot of money - but education was important to them. So they rented in St. Johns County - sent their kids to school here. Their eldest just graduated from UF Medical School. And I've seen his school records - he was no affirmative action student. Money helps in terms of getting a good education - but it isn't always enough if motivation is lacking. And even without money - you can get a good education if the motivation is there. Overall - you need to have a little fire in your belly (and a family who will help you - financially and/or in terms of values). Robyn
Exactly, I think you hit the nail on the head. It may be safe to say that those with money tend to place more emphasis on education, since education is probably what gave them the chance to make money in the first place. Regardless, I think that, as a society, we focus way too much on the school itself. If a school's students perform poorly, something must be wrong with the school. Perhaps, but the home environment needs to be considered as well. If the parents/guardians don't give a crap about their child's education, the child probably won't care much either. My parents were very involved with my schooling, and as a result, I became motivated to excel (at first, to have proud parents, and later, for self satisfaction). I ended up graduating 9th in my class in high school out of 470, and now have a college degree. Without my parent's support, that would not have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
So it looks like a looong way off still, but a K-8 school would be tentatively be off Valley Ridge Blvd near the new Greenleaf Village neighborhood. It would be really nice, but I'm not holding my breath
Thanks for the research! This is good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 AM

530 posts, read 1,351,308 times
This is just a hunch on my part, but I am guessing that the elementary school will come along sooner then would normally be expected. I think that the pull that parents have at PVPV will not allow the school to become as overcrowded as it would if they wait too long to build the school out here in Nocatee. If I had to place a bet I would guess the new school opens within 4 years max. It took Palencia to get to about 700 kids before they approved the school there, and it won't open till 2013. My guess is here it will take about 300 to 400 kids here before approval to build. The way sales are going right now that will not be long. We are the only new community progressing right now, a testament to the strength of this development.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:52 PM

47 posts, read 100,566 times
Robyn, It seems as though you have many issues with newer families moving into your little piece of paradise, that your daddy developed for you years ago. I, like others bought a home in Nocatee recently because we liked the area, the proximity to other places and anticipate the value to increase in the future. I find your views disturbing and contridicting. You claim that you will be subsidizing kids education through taxes and yet claim you don't use any services in SJC, this is ridiculous. You drone on that 100% of the services you use are paid for by Duval County. Is that fair to Duval County tax payers? You have a wonderful story about your Peruvian housekeeper of ten years who has risen to a position of nanny and her son that has excelled in school. You mention "White Flight" numerous times, I wonder if I, a proud black man, married to a white woman would be welcomed in your golf club??? I wonder if you and those that vote like you, are concerned about the welfare of the many illegal immigrant families that you have cutting your grass and beautifing your homes,country club and golf courses . Those families that live in squalor that are unseen living in shacks, are you willing to subsidize them?? You mention how you studied Latin for four years, what public school did you attend?? Or was it a nice private school that you went to?, that put that fire in your belly? You mention how "pathetic and stupid" the teachers are at UNF, since you seem to have all the answers maybe teaching should be your calling, I'm sure all those stupid, pathetic people would love to have someone just like you around. Its time to forget the old way of thinking, Florida is in deep trouble economically. Development and education are the way out of trouble.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,308 times
Wow, what a was disturbing post. I think there is way to make a point with out being rude and disrespectful. I am guessing you are much younger then Robyn and to have such a lack of respect for your elders is just so wrong , it's disgraceful and it shows no class whatsoever. I sincerely hope I do not run into you here in Nocatee, because it will not be a pleasant encounter.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Don, first let me say that I am 50 years old and very respectful to everyone that deserves respect. I don't respect someone that has a Holyier Then Thou attitude and calls people "pathetic and stupid." Perhaps you should reread the post. Since I don't know you I will ignore the rest of your comments, but I'm sure if you met me you would love me.,

Old 03-17-2011, 02:33 PM

77 posts, read 237,876 times
I'm envisioning a cowboy-type standoff as the tumbleweeds blow through the frozen aisle of our Publix. Let's have a laugh today! I'm looking forward to getting new schools in Nocatee. I "white-flighted" my family out of East Arlington last year because of the better schools, amenities and community that St. Johns county and Nocatee had to offer. We whippersnappers will try not to be too much of a burden and hope to contribute as much if not more to our new community than we take.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM

I don't think it would be much of a standoff. But I do appreciate your good sence of humor. Today is my Holiday, so nothing can get me down, as I am sure, I am the only African Irish man in Nocatee. Slainte

Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom16 View Post
...My parents were very involved with my schooling, and as a result, I became motivated to excel (at first, to have proud parents, and later, for self satisfaction). I ended up graduating 9th in my class in high school out of 470, and now have a college degree. Without my parent's support, that would not have happened.
. Robyn

Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMY WACK View Post
Robyn, It seems as though you have many issues with newer families moving into your little piece of paradise, that your daddy developed for you years ago. I, like others bought a home in Nocatee recently because we liked the area, the proximity to other places and anticipate the value to increase in the future. I find your views disturbing and contridicting. You claim that you will be subsidizing kids education through taxes and yet claim you don't use any services in SJC, this is ridiculous. You drone on that 100% of the services you use are paid for by Duval County. Is that fair to Duval County tax payers? You have a wonderful story about your Peruvian housekeeper of ten years who has risen to a position of nanny and her son that has excelled in school. You mention "White Flight" numerous times, I wonder if I, a proud black man, married to a white woman would be welcomed in your golf club??? I wonder if you and those that vote like you, are concerned about the welfare of the many illegal immigrant families that you have cutting your grass and beautifing your homes,country club and golf courses . Those families that live in squalor that are unseen living in shacks, are you willing to subsidize them?? You mention how you studied Latin for four years, what public school did you attend?? Or was it a nice private school that you went to?, that put that fire in your belly? You mention how "pathetic and stupid" the teachers are at UNF, since you seem to have all the answers maybe teaching should be your calling, I'm sure all those stupid, pathetic people would love to have someone just like you around. Its time to forget the old way of thinking, Florida is in deep trouble economically. Development and education are the way out of trouble.
You have a couple of things wrong. My father was a builder in New York - and then New Jersey. He retired to Broward County - and then moved to Duval County about 4 years ago after my mother died. My husband and I both attended public schools in New Jersey - and my husband went to Rutgers (state college).

I reckon I use or benefit from some services in St. Johns County - like the money spent on local roads - the court system - the county web site resources (which are really terrific) - etc. But - overall - I pay more in taxes than I spend in terms of services. Because I don't have any kids in the school system.

You have picked the wrong fight with regard to where I play golf - the TPC at Sawgrass. It is probably the best deal in terms of golf in the whole metro area - and no one gives a fig whether you are white or black or yellow or blue. As long as you are appropriate in terms of golf course etiquette (doesn't hurt if you tip the staff appropriately either). If you have any interest in a membership - DM me and I will send you some info.

I am concerned about the use of illegal immigrant workers in the metro area. Hurts lower class legals the most (and many of those people are black). I have never - to the best of my knowledge - hired or had an illegal immigrant worker on my property (I have followed the law for decades in terms of getting proof of citizenship or legit green card status when hiring people). I can afford to pay people a living wage for the work they do for me. But I can't control what anyone else does (I've read stories about illegals showing up in construction crews doing projects for the City of JAX - that's a disgrace IMO). And FWIW - except for our tree work and spring clean up - my husband and I take care of our property. My husband is the "lawn guy" - and I can assure you he is 100% legal - and paid very badly . Robyn

Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
Wow, what a was disturbing post. I think there is way to make a point with out being rude and disrespectful. I am guessing you are much younger then Robyn and to have such a lack of respect for your elders is just so wrong , it's disgraceful and it shows no class whatsoever. I sincerely hope I do not run into you here in Nocatee, because it will not be a pleasant encounter.
Gosh - don't worry about me and make me old before my time. I'm only 63. My father is 92 . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville