U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 PM

12 posts, read 15,197 times

Advertisements

Okay, some statistics and background info to get you started:

25 years old
Single
Male
College graduate
Looking to spend $600/max on rent
I have money to hold me over at least 3-4 months (let's hope it doesn't get to that)

I'm looking for some neighborhoods, apartment complexes, etc. in the Jacksonville area that will have me near my peers.

I'm also looking for a location where I would not have to use my vehicle all that much. (By the way, how is the public transportation?)

I don't have a job lined up - I'm looking for a new adventure and feel drawn to the area for some reason (maybe a gut feeling?). I'm willing to work any job until I find something more stable - so that does not play a factor in my location yet.

If you can help me, please throw any suggestions out to me. If you have any more questions for me to help you out - go ahead! I know this is probably a popular question, so if it has been mostly answered already, please direct me to that post. Thank you!

Last edited by bgs245; 03-27-2011 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM

705 posts, read 1,374,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgs245 View Post
25 years old
Single
Male
College graduate

...I'm looking for a new adventure and feel drawn to the area for some reason (maybe a gut feeling?).
Have you been to JAX before? It's not exactly a swinging, party town for young, single people.

By the way, public transpo is terrible.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 PM

705 posts, read 1,374,837 times
I guess the beaches would be your best bet for a twenty something single person.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,432,506 times
Riverside & Avondale in the neighborhood for 20 somethings/young professionals right now.

It borders downtown and the river, is very walkable & bikeable, creative/artsy/eclectic/different with a lot of parks, nightlife, and unique venues. There's always something going on.

It's simply exploding right now in popularity.

Other somewhat similar areas are San Marco (more posh) and Springfield (less gentrified). These are other areas that surrond downtown. Not that many people actually live in downtown, but those that do are generally young too.

The general "beaches" area also has a lot of younger people, but it's much more spread out.

This forum is right up your alley: www.metrojacksonville.com, as it's a haven for educated young people. I'd recommend inquiring there as well.

www.traditionsjax.com specializes in most of those areas I mentioned, along with Craigslist of course.

www.riverside-avonale.org , www.myspringfield.org, and www.mysanmarco.com are all good ways to get to know those neighborhoods a little bit.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM

274 posts, read 585,778 times
Depending on what type of atmosphere you're looking for, either Riverside/Avondale or the Beaches would be a good choice. San Marco to a somewhat lesser extent (skews a little older with more money). You can find rental places in your range in Riverside and San Marco. The beaches might be a little tougher - I know there are some cheap apartments out there but the houses can be pricey. I think every young person (and I'm only 32) should live at the beach for at least a year. It's a cool lifestyle but not something you necessarily want to do when you're a little older.

Public transportation here stinks on ice. It exists but you gotta plan your day around it. If you need to be someplace by say 9, you better start your trip at 6:30. If you do live at the beach, you will spend years of your life relying on the bus to get you anyplace in Jacksonville. But a bicycle can get you anywhere you need to go in the Beaches, or in Riverside or San Marco.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,432,506 times
Actually, San marco isn't quite as bikeable as a lot of people think.

It's far more bikeable/walkable compared to your average Jacksonville neighbohrood, but many parts of San Marco don't have sidewalks.

Also, there's not a grocery store in the immediate area. Or a mechanic. But they aren't too far off.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 PM

92 posts, read 207,475 times
im trying to find a decent SRO hotel downtown first until i get an apt. Relocating from San diego.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 AM

7,084 posts, read 7,747,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Actually, San marco isn't quite as bikeable as a lot of people think.

It's far more bikeable/walkable compared to your average Jacksonville neighbohrood, but many parts of San Marco don't have sidewalks.

Also, there's not a grocery store in the immediate area. Or a mechanic. But they aren't too far off.
You're not supposed to bike on the sidewalks.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM

2,513 posts, read 3,586,992 times
In the space below this sentence visualize a billboard saying that moving to Jacksonville is a bad idea.

Now heed the billboard's advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or