Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:03 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
just went over to JCE and registered my oldest for Kindergarden. Where the feck does the time go.
Let me know if you figure that out. My oldest graduates from college next year. It honestly seems like I just registered him for kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM

31 posts, read 109,140 times
As somebody mentioned, Hickory Creek is considered the "arts" school... They do a little more, as far as having a chorus that sings in several places, a principal who teaches guitar to 5th graders, etc. However, I think all the school have some kind of chorus/band and art classes. As someone mentioned, the way the budget cuts are going, good luck with all that anyway! Some people pay for their kids to stay after school to take elective art classes and such.

As far as education, all the schools you mentioned are great. Hickory is the smallest of the three at the present time being. Durbin is the largest...but I hear they are getting ready to re-zone again. We attended Hickory for a year, and liked it fine, but like Julington Creek Elem. better.

We just complete our first year at Julington Creek Elementary, (one kid in K and one in 4th) and we LOVED it. I had heard from a friend over at Hickory that, "Julington is just different...it has a warmth you don't find at Hickory." I'm not sure why that is...maybe it is because it is more established, being the oldest of the three...but I found that to be a true statement. The principal and vice principal are very warm, engaging people, so perhaps it just comes from the top down. Don't know, but what I do know is that the teachers LOVE working there, and it shows. The kids have so much school spirit, as a result. We loved it so much, I swear we will sell our house if they re-zone us!!!

Hope that helps. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:02 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
just went over to JCE and registered my oldest for Kindergarden. Where the feck does the time go.
Just went with my daughter to Trinity to register my grandson for 1st grade...where the feck does time go?.....LOL

Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,186 times
Quote:
We just complete our first year at Julington Creek Elementary, (one kid in K and one in 4th) and we LOVED it. I had heard from a friend over at Hickory that, "Julington is just different...it has a warmth you don't find at Hickory." I'm not sure why that is...maybe it is because it is more established, being the oldest of the three...but I found that to be a true statement. The principal and vice principal are very warm, engaging people, so perhaps it just comes from the top down. Don't know, but what I do know is that the teachers LOVE working there, and it shows. The kids have so much school spirit, as a result. We loved it so much, I swear we will sell our house if they re-zone us!!!
We feel the same way about Julington Creek Elementary. We've moved many times over the years and have had our kids in a total of six different elementary schools. Julington Creek has been our absolute favorite! It's a very warm school. "Kindness" is emphasized constantly. The administration is visible and accessible. My second grader had two degreed, certified teachers in his classroom all day long because they had 23 kids in the classroom and I guess that exceeds the class size mandate. The ratio wasn't even that good in the very expensive private schools they attended in Mississippi.

Lots of team spirit. Lots of great family activities. A focus on achieving not just in terms of academics, but also in character development.

My son rides his bike to and from school every day, so hopefully we are close enough that we won't be rezoned. But I've heard great things about Durbin and Hickory as well.

I'll add that I have kids at Creekside High School as well and we are equally happy with that school! Just love it for many of the same reasons.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
Also hoping not to be rezoned if the rumor is true.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 AM

21 posts, read 42,127 times
If you ranked the 4 schools based on FCAT scores it looks like this:

1. Hickory Creek (#1 in state two years ago, not sure about last year)
2. Julington Creek
3. Durbin Creek
4. Cunningham Creek (a distant 4th not in the same league of the schools above, we would NOT send our kids there)

I would be fine with any of the first three but Hickory is the best -- the smallest of the three and no trailers on site. In fact they just built on instead of putting in trailers. We faced the same dilimma with Hickory being farther too but having bus service and realizing its only an extra 5 minute drive it has been more than worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville