Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2007, 08:14 AM

8 posts, read 55,324 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Im in need of much appreciated advice here. We are relocating to Jacksonville, Fl because of employment and we are trying to find a nice place to rent for six months or so. Based on some research, it seems that Southside is the way to go. However, I found an apt in Orange Park (Lighthouse at Fleming Island) that seems ok too and cant seem to decide between the two. We have a four year daugher so we're looking for some place that is not ridden with crime, close to retail shops, and a more upscale neighborhood. The apt we looked at in the Southside is called Courtney Meadows. Which is actually better Orange Park or Southside? Also, when we are ready to purchase again where are the upscale middle class areas?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 12:52 PM

265 posts, read 993,901 times
Well I swore in my last post I would say this.
"NO" to orange park. If you like traffic, traffic, and umm traffic then Orange park is the place for you. Southside is a winner hands down we live here and really like it.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Well, your first instinct might be your answer (so often they are, aren't they ?).

Were you thinking of the Southside because the job will be located on the Southside? If so, that's a great reason (why give yourself a longer commute if you don't have to).

Courtney Meadows is in a very convenient spot on the Southside (Gate Parkway/9A). I don't know about the apartments themselves, but as far as choosing a section of Jacksonville to live in, I think you'd really like it. There is a lot to do here, you can easily get to the Saint John's Town Center, the beach and numerous other things - if you like upscale shopping, the Southside is what you want. When you're ready to buy a home, you'll find plenty of nice upscale neighborhoods right within the vicinity.

Orange Park/Fleming Island is very different. I was out that way today, in fact. If you are coming to the area for a visit, I would suggest driving up and down 17/Park Street, Kingsley Ave & Blanding Blvd and seeing for yourself if you like it (personally, I could not live out that way).

I hope that helps .

Old 07-29-2007, 05:14 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA01 View Post
Hello all,
Im in need of much appreciated advice here. We are relocating to Jacksonville, Fl because of employment and we are trying to find a nice place to rent for six months or so. Based on some research, it seems that Southside is the way to go. However, I found an apt in Orange Park (Lighthouse at Fleming Island) that seems ok too and cant seem to decide between the two. We have a four year daugher so we're looking for some place that is not ridden with crime, close to retail shops, and a more upscale neighborhood. The apt we looked at in the Southside is called Courtney Meadows. Which is actually better Orange Park or Southside? Also, when we are ready to purchase again where are the upscale middle class areas?
Thanks in advance.
Dude, you may like OP but not the Southside. You may like Southside but not OP. You'll have to visit both and decide which is better for you and ur family. I'm the type of person that looks at two sides of the equation b/c that's how I am and my job that I do everyday involves math. So I won't give you my personal opinion b/c while it maybe right for me it may not be right for you. Just check out both areas and see what you like and don't like and put those on those checklist. As far as upscale neighborhoods are concerned, Southside has them but you also have Fleming Island and Eagle Harbor over there in OP. You also have Oakleaf Plantation, which contains various neighborhoods on the other side of OP so plenty of choices for you on either side of town.

Both areas are close to retail with Southside having St Johns Town Center nearby, which is upscale and Orange Park Mall and the other stores like Circuit City and Best Buy near OP.

Cheers,

Old 07-29-2007, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 55,324 times
Thanks everyone for all of your help!! I trust your counseling and believe that we will make a good decision as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville