Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times

Advertisements

we shall see, would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 793 times
Default Busing to better schools

Robyn, I don't know what part of the South you grew up in but, I grew up in times of desegregation, busing and you name it. Basically, it is discriminatory to ship poor urban children to "better" schools, when the schools should be receiving equal financial support regardless of location/neighborhood. One answer to some of these issues has been the Duval County magnet programs. These specialty schools in urban neighborhoods have consistently received top national ranking in the country. You can Google the results. I have spoken to people who bus their children to inner-city schools to these magnet schools and they feel that their children are getting more than a good quality education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Hi Kerry - I seem to recall you came here from DC. Where the only growth industry is government. Would you send any kids you had to DC schools - or send them to private schools there - or move out to the burbs (because you couldn't afford private schools)? This is an honest - not a trick question. Because I don't know any young people in DC these days. People I know my age in DC (mostly Harvard lawyers) sent their kids to private schools - so they could - like they did - wind up in Ivy League schools.

FWIW - IMO - there's still a lot of racial stuff going on in the south (and any other city in the US regardless of geographical location with a large black population). Which is why people here are talking about a new City of JAX that is pretty much without black people.

My solution is still closing down the 90%+ black schools - and winding up with integrated schools (that are no more than 30% black - that is doable in JAX - and once you get to 40-50% - the sh** tends to hit the fan IMO). I'm sorry if people don't like what I say - but - after living in the south for 40 years - I call them as I see them. I am even in favor of busing over county lines. Take the poor kids from under performing crummy schools - and sprinkle them among all the ok schools in the metro area.

And I will again put it to black people here. Would you prefer that your kids walk to a lousy school near where you live - or go on a bus to a good school? Would you send your kids on a bus to Mandarin or Ponte Vedra Beach? (Northside - I'm talking to you - although I don't think you have kids - or a wife . Robyn

Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabama View Post
Robyn, I don't know what part of the South you grew up in but, I grew up in times of desegregation, busing and you name it. Basically, it is discriminatory to ship poor urban children to "better" schools, when the schools should be receiving equal financial support regardless of location/neighborhood. One answer to some of these issues has been the Duval County magnet programs. These specialty schools in urban neighborhoods have consistently received top national ranking in the country. You can Google the results. I have spoken to people who bus their children to inner-city schools to these magnet schools and they feel that their children are getting more than a good quality education.
I don't know where you live - but there are schools in JAX that are total basket cases. And - based on what I read in the FTU - they have little hope of getting out of the ICU anytime soon - regardless of money spent (I think that middle income or higher income kids who come from 2 parent households will always have an advantage over poor kids whose mothers were 17 when they were born - in the case of that 12 year old just charged with murdering his brother - his mother was 12 when he was born ).

As far as the magnet schools go - they have in the past mostly worked to the benefit of middle or upper income kids - not poor kids. With the school board doing away with the transportation budget for magnet schools (at least that was the case last time I saw an article about the school budget) - I think the first nail is in the coffin for magnet schools. And that same budget preserves high school football programs while doing away with buying all new books (except in one subject - biology if I recall correctly)

Anyway - I ain't got no dog in this fight. No kids and I live in St. Johns County. And although I am pretty conservative politically - I think every kid deserves to go to a decent school. Even if it means shutting down a school like Raines (I may have the name wrong - I think that is one of the basket cases) and shipping its students to Ponte Vedra High School.

But hey - if black parents would rather have their kids go to schools that are total failures - that is no skin off my back except as a resident of the state of Florida who would like to see better education outcomes. Robyn

Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 743 times
I tried to read all of these posts, but the truth is that it's just too long for someone just getting in on the discussion. I haven't lived in Jacksonville for many years and I don't know much about the politics there - as I was in my early 20s when I left - but here's the thing ~ I want to!

I have spent the last 15-20 years living in several different places and have discovered that I LOVE city living. While in Chicago for many years, I lived in a crappy area called Bucktown. It was only a few stops away from the loop on the el, which was literally across the street from my apartment and the rent was cheap. Although the area was beginning to be revitalized, I left before I got to experience the change that was to come. Now Bucktown is one of the most interesting and sought after areas - crackhouses have been gutted and turned into high end condos and apartments. Aside from being literally next door to the loop, it is also it's own little neighborhood.

Miami was another big city I've lived in - Coral Gables to be exact. While I did drive to work, I loved being in a neighborhood where I could walk to shops, restaurants, bars, and even a Publix. Miami Beach was a drive away and I loved going there, but the Gables had it's own thing going on too.

I've also spent a lot of time in Seattle, although I haven't lived there. So what's my point? I guess it's that it is not only the direct downtown area that makes up the "vibe" that exists in big, successful cities, it's the little neighborhoods around it. Every neighborhood has it's own little niche and manage to have a sort of small town feel in the shadows of a major city.

Currently I live in downtown Durham, NC in what used to be a tobacco warehouse. From what I understand, this was NOT a place you wanted to be ten years ago. However, the city of Durham has made it a mission to revitalize its downtown and now it's one of the most exciting places to be (in Durham, that is). Of course, it's no big city, but you get the point.....

Now, having just entered my 40s, I am looking to return to Jacksonville. A still young and educated professional that makes a good living and who imagines what Jacksonville could be. I WANT downtown Jacksonville to succeed. From the outside looking in, Jacksonville has everything that it would take to make it an exciting and vibrant downtown - you've got the river, pro sports, old southern charm in spots, it's easy to travel into and out of, the beach is right there, it's a major city for medical people with all of the hospitals, two universities, etc.. I want to live in a city that has all of that and does something with it. I want people to want to make Jacksonville a vacation destination - a place for weekend getaways and event trips.

But here's the thing - I'm hesitant. Hesitant because I can just as easily take myself somewhere else that is already established, that is moving forward instead of in circles, or that, at the very least, has a clear and defined vision of what it would like it's downtown to be like. I am the person who would have chosen to live in (and has lived in) the suburbs but who now craves the buzz that surrounds a downtown area.

I guess what I'm trying to say with all of this is that I hope Jacksonville doesn't blow it. There are a lot of people like me on the outside looking in, rooting for it to happen. Waiting for it to happen. *sigh*

I feel better now that I got that off of my chest! LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
You'll find like minded people at www.metrojacksonville.com. FYI.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 AM

65 posts, read 180,563 times
Thank you for this post FSU! You are absolutely right, and as a young professional this is exactly what I am talking about when I mention my pet peeps with Jacksonville!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM

65 posts, read 180,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I could not imagine being young and single in Jacksonville. Could not fathom it. The beach is not a serious enough draw for me. I want the option of having 20,000 things to be able to do at any given time, but the ability to go up to my condo and just relax alone as well. I never have to leave my neighborhood where I am. I can walk to countless bars, clubs, restaurants, coffee shops, one of the best parks in the world, theaters, comedy clubs, 2 train stations, grocery, hotels, convenience stores, retail shops, gyms, whatever I need. I can literally walk to Crate and Barrel, equinox or LA Fitness, 3 Starbucks, a Caribou Coffee, a Flying Biscuit, a Silver Biscuit, a Barnes and Noble, a Fedex Store, a UPS store, 3 sports bars, the SOuth's hottest nightclubs, I mean this is what young people want. This is what Jacksonville is against for some reason.
JSimms: Thank you soo much for writing this, because this is exactly what I am missing! Having lived in LA, and Cleveland and studied in DC and Madrid, Spain, Jacksonville doesn't make the cut! Thank YOU!!!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Of course it doesn't make the cut. You just named the 12th, 45th, 68th, and 109th largest metro areas in the world. Jacksonville is in the 300s and that is simply because the land mass is so damn large.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:01 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
You'll find like minded people at www.metrojacksonville.com. FYI.
yea, sucks many of them dont visit here their ideas are kinda needed here, but oh well lol.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
yea, sucks many of them dont visit here their ideas are kinda needed here, but oh well lol.
it has some great articles that I read on that site. However, the forums make me facepalm, so I skip that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville