Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:42 AM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Look bad? Huh? What an odd thing to say.

Anyone who has a community garden is also.subject to fines currently, as part of the same outdated policy.

Pretty much every i've met and learns aboutbthe details/rules supports it. It's just common sense really.
I was just stating the fact that this woman is being heavily fined by the city for keeping animals in an area not currently zoned for it. She continues to break the law and could in fact lose her house if the city decides to put a lein against it. She is also bringing negativity to those who want to bring the zoning changes through legal channels.

I guess common sense in regards to zoning laws does not apply. Are people like myself and others stupid because we abide by these laws or seek variances through proper channels?

If people want to raise farm animals then by all means go through the proper channels and do it legitimately. I applaud the community effort but I don't approve of breaking the laws to live a lifestyle that some of her neighbors might not appreciate. Obviously someone is concerned enough to contact the city in regards to the animals or she would have been under the radar not have been fined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 AM

2,558 posts, read 6,460,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

If people want to raise farm animals then by all means go through the proper channels and do it legitimately. I applaud the community effort but I don't approve of breaking the laws to live a lifestyle that some of her neighbors might not appreciate. Obviously someone is concerned enough to contact the city in regards to the animals or she would have been under the radar not have been fined.
Exactly. We have a process for changing our laws/ordinances. The way she's doing it isn't the way. She's only making it more difficult for the "cause" in my opinion.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,740 times
I agree, she shouldn't break the laws to change it. But the rule is dumb as hell.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
(ha)

All of you can sleep peacefully.

She's been working with COJ for a while now, to change the policy. Specifically the Planning Department and City Council.

She's also not getting continuously fined.

Tip: Don't assume / draw conclusions about an issue you have little insight about. That one's free, but further life coaching will cost you. : )

Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
(ha)

All of you can sleep peacefully.

She's been working with COJ for a while now, to change the policy. Specifically the Planning Department and City Council.

She's also not getting continuously fined.

Tip: Don't assume / draw conclusions about an issue you have little insight about. That one's free, but further life coaching will cost you. : )
I am sorry, I was misinformed by the two articles in the Times Union that described her plight and code violations. It's great you keep us abreast of all the positive aspects of downtown living, without you we would surely be influenced by the lack of knowledge the TU has.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM

That's ok.

She's been cited many times, but that doesn't automatically translate into huge fines.

You'd have to be pretty familiar with COJ and Code Enforcement to know how that process works though, so you're forgiven.

Also, I can't really keep you abreast of all the awesome aspects about living downtown.

Too much.

Here's a few in the last 2 days that I wouldn't have mentioned, but since you brought it up:

(1) Last night's Art Walk was amazing. Possibly the most people they've ever had. Really fantastic. Lots of live music. Dancing. Art. Creativity. Tons of stuff for sale. Performers. Perfect weather.

(2) I rode my bike 1.5 miles to my dentist yesterday, then to the Post Office on my way home, but not before stopping by a book store & cafe to browse and meet a friend. By bike....1.5 miles....did I mentioned that?

(3) Had a nice 45 minute morning jog from my house through Downtown along the Riverwalk this morning. The river is beautiful in the AM, especially when you live so close as to enjoy it on a daily basis if you like.

Thanks for your interest JB!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:22 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Stereotypes aside, I'm guessing this is more about folks who are accustomed to providing for their own needs, instead of continually relying on government programs to do it for them. There's a time and place for limited welfare programs, and people close to me are benefiting from the programs into which they paid for many years.
Actually Eric - I think it is more about being "trendy". Like right now - it is trendy for people with iPhones and iPads to have chickens and goats.

But JAX is kind of tone deaf in terms of being trendy - and misinterprets things. In this regard - people ought to keep in mind the Superbowl here and its press coverage. E.g., a trendy city like Seattle might do something like allowing chickens and goats in suburban areas and still be regarded as trendy. But real cities don't do this in downtown/urban areas (if only because it's hard to raise chickens and goats in high rise condos and apartments). And if JAX does it close in to downtown - it will be regarded as a hick town doing hick things.

I got a real chuckle out of today's FTU artcle about this. The main proponents of this have an old bath tub in their yard. How rural southern is that? What's next - a couple of old trucks up on blocks and an old couch on the front porch? And this in a neighborhood that otherwise has ridiculously strict architectural standards IMO. Modern architecture has to jump through hoops to get approved but junky old tubs in your yard with goats are ok? Sounds more Little Haiti to me than trendy.

Think of it this way. There are beautiful people who look fabulous in expensive skinny jeans - a black turtleneck - and a leather jacket. But how many of us can pull off that look? I can't. And JAX can't pull it off either.

FWIW - the pols quoted in the paper today sounded really stupid. Like they had never heard of zoning before (as in we're going to allow X use in this zoning district - and Y use in that zoning district). Which is actually the way things usually work in Duval County or St. Johns County and the like. Robyn

Old 10-06-2011, 06:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am sorry, I was misinformed by the two articles in the Times Union that described her plight and code violations. It's great you keep us abreast of all the positive aspects of downtown living, without you we would surely be influenced by the lack of knowledge the TU has.
You weren't misinformed. She's a lawbreaker. Whether anyone is enforcing the law is another matter.

I live in a gated community with rules - and a county with laws. And they are enforced (my husband is chair of our CVHC committee). If the community doesn't like the existing rules (or wants new rules) - it is free to try and change them (within the limits of the Florida statutes and county ordinances). But - unless and until they're changed - people ought to abide by them.

FWIW - I hope a Haitian who believes in Santeria moves into center city JAX and starts raising and sacrificing chickens and goats (it's pretty common in Miami). And we'll see how the cops treat poor black people - as opposed to white people with money. Would be a hoot to watch the JAX city council then as well. Robyn

Old 10-06-2011, 07:21 PM

The meeting was packed tonight! City Council reps, COJ reps, DCPS reps, all sorts of people....

Literally overflowing, standing room only.

Look at all these iphone owners! (ha)

From: mySpringfield.org • View topic - Community Gardens and Urban Farming..

&

Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 PM

2,558 posts, read 6,460,204 times
I guess I arrived after pics were taken. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville