Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 PM

118 posts, read 339,786 times

Advertisements

Robyn55, why drown this forum with your view of the world? 3000 + posts in a little over a year, really? Intelligence is as much about listening, as speaking, or in this case, writing.

The original post didn't say a thing about education, but I will speak some truth: creativity and risk taking, such as living in the place of your dreams, are just as important to success as your undergraduate institution. Personally, I went to a low ranking undergraduate institution due to an iconoclastic life in my 20s, only to out rank the overwhelming majority of my cohorts in a grad. school loaded with Ivy Leaguers. It's not that I don't respect quality schools, in fact I've advised folks to attempt to get into higher ranked law schools on this forum (when that was the topic), it's just that are many paths to success, and following your dreams is one of them. The OP wants the things Florida has to offer, not to be turned away from this forum, or FL, by an education lecture.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,388,060 times
Gosh - I was trying to write a nice reply - but then figured - screw it.

I probably write 2/3 or more of my messages in the Retirement Forum these days. This forum isn't drowning in my messages - or those written by other people. It's kind of like pretty dead.

And if you want to advise the OP to move to Delray and commute 70 miles RT on I-95 every day to Nova Southeastern (a school she has not applied to or been admitted to) every day - do it.

FWIW - I know about schools and taking risks. My husband and I both graduated from Harvard Law School and moved to Miami in the early 70's. When Miami was a total backwater in terms of the legal profession. We took risks - and they payed off. But we had our credentials in our pockets before we took our risks.

And as for the OP - she is entirely too touchy about the money situation. Talking about money is kind of par for the course in the Retirement Forum. How much you need - and how far what you have will get you. Robyn

Old 05-09-2011, 09:22 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,987,032 times
Default florida

I have to agree with robyn on this one..I currently live in NY State and commute 55 miles one way every day....i get up at 4 30 in the morning just to avoid traffic..it is not a way to live..but the schools are better where i moved to then NYC....

As for myself..when i retire i plan on moving to florida..unlike Michigan who in the middle of her college career decided her and her fiance wanna move all the way to florida....again it also doesnt pass the smell test with me...almost like she is fleeing something...like these girls that grow up on the west coast say and become nannies and move to New England just to watch someone's kids...there arent people in california that need some help raising their kids...

Michigan should graduate first then move to florida..what is so hard about this?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,242,542 times
To the OP,

Jax is a great place for young professionals. There's obviously a lot of us. Welcome.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,193 times
Congrats on your quest to become a Floridian! I've lived in all of the good cities of Florida and based on what your looking for, south Florida is the best option, hands down. I would say either Boca Raton or Delray beach if you're going to be in school as FAU is in Boca and is a good school. We have the best beaches, more jobs and way more to do. Not to mention, housing is at an all time best if you're looking to buy. Avoid the panhandle of Fl, aka lower Alabama. Jax is ok at best. Way too spread out. Hyde park in Tampa you would like. Orlando is fun to visit, that's it. Good luck and let me know if you need more info.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM

459 posts, read 1,412,492 times
haha... this is one of the funniest threads i've read in quite some time on here, please don't let it die.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 PM

i agree. first time posting in an open forum, i wonder?

Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM

163 posts, read 448,242 times
Youre in college, yet are able to afford a 400k house? I wish I had family money that I never had to work for...

Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 PM

28 posts, read 60,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
Youre in college, yet are able to afford a 400k house? I wish I had family money that I never had to work for...
Nope, i'm not living off of my families money that i never had to work for what so ever. My fiance and I are investors and a few of our investments were very sucessful. By the way, we worked very hard for the money we have, it took a lot of time and risks, but it was all worth it! When we first started college we had other majors in mind. We decided to change our majors last minute so we could do something we truly love which is why we are still in college. I would highly recommend for anyone to change majors anytime in college (whether it is your freshman year or your senior year) if you know there is something else you would rather major in, then go for it, it could change your life for the better and it will all be worth it in the end! Ask questions before assuming please.

Last edited by WeWantOutOfMichigan; 05-09-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 PM

would it be out of line to ask you how old you are, or is that classified information? this might put things into perspective...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville