Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times

Advertisements

highest taxed state and they get nothing in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
lol, a high school student could've written that. Why can't people just be content with the fact that J-ville is a crap hole?
Jacksonville is full on content people. But then there are those special thinkers most of Jacksonville dislikes...those liberal yankee loving, homosexual tolerating, urban fantasizer of the new century.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times
Thank you Robyn! I was just getting ready to post my editorial, but you were kind enough to do it for me already I really appreciate that.

BTW, I have really grown on your idea about scrapping RAP and SOS, at least partially. I didn't know if you could tell, but one of my pointers originated from a debate we had and a truth I knew but couldn't come to terms with initially. Not every house is worth preserving, and building new homes to "appear old" is nice, but should be supplemented with experimental and creative newer designs, as well. Cities don't work without density, and you can only have so much density with single-family dwellings.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times
And this is my second editorial in a month; I think I am making my way into a monthly contribution. My third editorial for next month is already largely lined up It won't have anything to do with the election unless Hogan wins by the biggest landslide ever and something goes down.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Well-written, Simms. Strong points presented in a concise format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
It won't have anything to do with the election unless Hogan wins by the biggest landslide ever and something goes down.
Don't say such horrors!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Thank you Robyn! I was just getting ready to post my editorial, but you were kind enough to do it for me already I really appreciate that.

BTW, I have really grown on your idea about scrapping RAP and SOS, at least partially. I didn't know if you could tell, but one of my pointers originated from a debate we had and a truth I knew but couldn't come to terms with initially. Not every house is worth preserving, and building new homes to "appear old" is nice, but should be supplemented with experimental and creative newer designs, as well. Cities don't work without density, and you can only have so much density with single-family dwellings.
Well I didn't know I was one of the sources for what you wrote about architectural styles - but I agree with you 100%. When we first moved here and were looking around and deciding where to live - one thing we disliked about gated communities were the ARBs. But RAP was even worse! We had very specific ideas about the kind of house we wanted to build. And although we couldn't build exactly what we wanted - we concluded that we could get closer in a gated community than in the "RAP area".

Anyway - keep up the good work! Robyn

Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
J-ville is a backwater city, a rather large backwater city, but a backwater city nonetheless. If you wanna keep fighting the good fight against regressive and ignorant attitudes than more power to you. I'd much rather build a huge 30 story toilet downtown to remind the fine denizens of J-ville what I think of their city.
hmmm....regressive attitudes...these attitudes DONT come from young people. I think its fear of competition. Most of the whole anti progress tea party stuff is based on fear to compete. When the sit around waste away lifestyle is the norm, there is going to be a lot resentment when competitive people with energy come around. Its like the new pretty girl at school makes all the other girls seem old. Then the girls that have been attending the school want to fight or pick on the new pretty girl all the guys are checking out. Anti progress = anti muslim, anti homosexual, anti mexican, anti women...all those things go hand in hand.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:39 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

P.S. Simms just graduated from college - so you are pretty close in terms of his age. If you're not idealistic at his age - you're screwed IMO. Even at my considerably older age - I still hope for the best - but plan for the worst.
I wasn't basing my judgement on the quality of the actual writing itself, but the fact that it lacks depth, insightfulness, and reeks of naivety. I too was once young, innocent, idealistic, and naive; but I was mugged by reality(in J-ville nonetheless), and reality is one hell of a mugger.

I can actually appreciate many aspects of J-ville, for having a vibrant middle class, the fact that many of it's citizens retain small town values and the fact that they have a hearty patriotism, and for a desire of many of it's residents to put the negative aspects of their culture behind them. Simms is writing about something that'll basically change the fundamental character of J-ville. Has he considered that perhaps many of the residents of J-ville don't want their city to be like Atlanta or NYC? I personally love NYC, but it's almost impossible to raise a family in the actual city unless you are filthy rich or are on some form of public assistance due to COL and taxes out of the wazoo. Density and services can be great, but it might not be Jackonsville residents' cup of tea.

I hope you could appreciate what I'm saying considering I absolutely hated the place and didn't like interacting with the locals while I was there.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 05-20-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM

129 posts, read 166,533 times
I live in Indy currently and NJ reputation here is sink hole. I'm sure Jax is not near as bad as people make it sound. I think a big problem is people try to compare it to huge cities like NYC or LA, but they should be comparing it to Indy, Nashville, Columbus ohio, Charlotte.....etc

Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
I agree house, those cities is what you should emulate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville