Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times

Advertisements

"Revitalization efforts are rippling through Jacksonville’s downtown and across the city’s historic neighborhoods, from the hipster haven of Riverside to Springfield, dubbed one of the South’s top comeback ’hoods by Southern Living magazine.
Springfield is worth a stop if for no other reason than to visit Sweet Pete’s, a Willy Wonka-worthy candy shop — 20 flavors of organic cotton candy! — that opened last year in an old Victorian home."

It goes on to talk about Downtown & the Beaches. Even has a little mention of San Marco too. (Hmm...must have left out all the random cookie-cutter suburbs & strip malls by accident, i'm sure.)

The full article here:
http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/travel/5189296-502/sunshine-and-surprises-in-jacksonville-fla (broken link).

The Riverside & Avondale Historic District and the Springfield Historic District have received the most positive press coverage , by far, of any neighborhoods in Jacksonville over the past 18 months or so. This isn't a complete list by any means, but here's some of the highlights:

- Great Places in America: Neighborhoods

- FT.com / House & Home - Perfectly preserved

- The South's Best Neighborhoods - Southern Living

- (sign-in to read this one) Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

and now, again:
- http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/travel/5189296-502/sunshine-and-surprises-in-jacksonville-fla (broken link).

If you want to see why these are receiving so much attention, you just missed the Riverside & Avondale Home Tour: //www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ur-2011-a.html

but can still catch the Springfield home tour this weekend://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ur-2011-a.html

Last edited by fsu813; 05-12-2011 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
I think you need to repost the link as all I det is an error message page not foundand looking at the link I think I see why http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/t...cksonville-fla (broken link). ...Jacksonville needs to be completed... Not sure if the rest of the link is ok.
But the rest of the articles are great and good info.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Here's the full piece, from: http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/travel/5189296-502/sunshine-and-surprises-in-jacksonville-fla (broken link). Not sure why the link hasn't been working.

Sunshine and surprises in Jacksonville, Fla.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Kathy Collins wasn’t sure what she’d gotten herself into — except better weather — when she moved from Chicago to Jacksonville a dozen years ago.

“I remember walking around downtown on a Sunday and there was nothing going on,” Collins said. “There were a lot of chain restaurants. It was a much different scene than Chicago.”

Twelve years later, no one is going to mistake Jacksonville for Chicago. But this sprawling city on Florida’s First Coast has done plenty of growing up.

“Downtown has gotten so much better,” Collins said. “So has the food scene.”

Collins can take a little credit for that last part. She’s executive chef at the sleek Cafe Nola in Jacksonville’s Museum of Contemporary Art. Like many of Jacksonville’s top toques, Collins relies heavily on locally sourced ingredients. During a lunch last month at Nola, the pea tendrils on my plate came from the museum’s roof top garden. Collins plucked the carrots that morning from her own backyard.

Jacksonville’s recent improvements aren’t just of the culinary kind. The city has been working hard to change its less-than-flattering image of an industrial port along I-95, sandwiched between a couple of Florida’s tourism darlings: Amelia Island to the north and St. Augustine to the south.
Revitalization efforts are rippling through Jacksonville’s downtown and across the city’s historic neighborhoods, from the hipster haven of Riverside to Springfield, dubbed one of the South’s top comeback ’hoods by Southern Living magazine.

Springfield is worth a stop if for no other reason than to visit Sweet Pete’s, a Willy Wonka-worthy candy shop — 20 flavors of organic cotton candy! — that opened last year in an old Victorian home.

In downtown Jacksonville, “ambassadors” dressed in orange shirts and pith helmets patrol the urban center’s streets, pointing people to the nearest parking lot, pressure washing the sidewalks and getting rid of graffiti. A new program called “Off the Grid” makes the most of vacant storefronts by turning them into exhibition space for artists, who get a sizeable break on the rent.

“People used to complain that there wasn’t anything going on in the city,” said Cabeth Cornelius, who grew up here. “Things were happening — you just didn’t know where because Jacksonville is so spread out. That’s where social media has really helped.”

At a recent outdoor fine arts fair in the Avondale neighborhood, a woman was handing out brochures labeled “Kiss boredom goodbye.” The brochures were touting the website experiencejax.com, an arts, sports and entertainment calendar. Festivals, concerts and other events also get publicized on an online community forum aptly titled udontknowjax.com.

I, for one, didn’t know much about Jax before my first visit here last month.
I didn’t know that Jax is named after Andrew Jackson, who served a stint as Florida’s military governor but never actually set foot in Jacksonville.

I didn’t know the city is widely considered the birthplace of Southern rock, producing the likes of the Allman Brothers, 38 Special and Lynryd Skynyrd, named for a Jacksonville gym teacher who didn’t care for a couple of the future band members’ long hair.

I also didn’t know downtown’s Florida Theatre — a landmark that’s still standing — is where Elvis Presley gave one of his first indoor concerts in 1956. A juvenile court judge sat through the whole show to make sure Presley’s hips behaved.

And I certainly didn’t know just how ridiculously big Jacksonville is. Geographically, it’s the largest U.S. city outside Alaska, spread across 848 square miles. That’s about 100 miles shy of all of Cook County — with one-sixth the population.

At that size, it’s little surprise that Jacksonville isn’t a walkable city. People here like their cars. And those cars often sport bumper stickers that say something to the effect of “I don’t drive over the ditch.”

The “ditch” is the intracoastal waterway that separates the city’s downtown and historic neighborhoods from the beaches. It’s also a metaphor for the dividing line between Jacksonville’s opposing lifestyles.

On one side of the ditch, you have the beach-dwelling, flip-flop wearing Margaritaville crowd.
The urban side feels more like South Georgia than Florida, right down to the Spanish moss dripping off the trees.

I dig both sides of the ditch. But this is Florida. When I come to the Sunshine State, I want a beach. Luckily there was plenty of that right outside my hotel, the swanky One Ocean Resort, which had been the not-so-swanky Sea Turtle Inn until three years ago.

I hopped on a comfy cruiser bike and rode at least a dozen miles along an uninterrupted stretch of perfectly packed sand.

It sounded like a crackling fire as I pedaled the bike’s fat tires over a carpet of seashells. Little kids built sandcastles and gingerly poked the occasional washed up jellyfish, while surfers tried to ride the modest waves and fishermen cast long lines into the Atlantic.

I pedaled inland at Neptune Beach, past pricey boutiques, pretty homes lined with palm trees and — what’s this? — Pete’s Bar, a dive that’s been around since the Great Depression. At Pete’s, you can still smoke cigarettes inside (and believe me, they do). A game of pool costs 25 cents. And the sign out front promises that “once you’re hooked, you’ll never leave.”

The fingerprints of revitalization and change may be all over Jacksonville, but it was nice to see they’d missed a spot.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Great article, never seen one of those bumper stickers though...guess its the beachies that sport em.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
" We don't cross the ditch" I hate those bumper stickers. Most of the people who have them arent even from the beach. Yeah they live there but they grew up in Orange Park, the Westside or Ohio.

Good article. Its good to see "outsiders" seeing the good in Jacksonville and not bitchin and moaning beacuse we are not like _____________.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Short article, but good publicity is good publicity.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,792 times
fsu813...I'll bet you went to bed with that article with the flashlight under the sheets.......

Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
fsu813...I'll bet you went to bed with that article with the flashlight under the sheets.......
LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville