U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,216 times

Advertisements

I am a native Floridian born and raised, but from Tampa. I was wondering my a lot of ppl in J'ville smile, not just the elderly / retired folk but some young gen X'ers and below also. Someone told me its cuz they are stoned. Is that true ? I'm just asking ! Cuz back home ppl smile around the beaches / St Petersburg and the outlying areas very occasionally but in the city never. Unless they work in service industry or retail, but I'm not talking about on the job, I mean in passing on the street or when coming into an elevator etc. I never know how quite to respond. What do yall do if its something your not accustomed to ?

EDIT : I mean if its not your usual repertoire do you look the other way or force yourself to smile back ? I usually manage a grimace, which isnt really a smile, just like pulling my lips straight out like an acknowledgement that I've seen them.

PS : Unless its a cute guy I mean

PPS What if it just doesnt come naturally to do it back ? I mean I'm happy and all but dont grin at random strangers.....Im just saying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:33 PM

615 posts, read 1,594,592 times
LOL...funny question.

Personally, I generally smile if I pass someone on the street or if I got on an elevator with someone already in it. I was born and raised in the south, so to me it's just being polite to acknowledge someone.

As for the reponse, I think it's appropriate to respond if someone smiles at you. A "grimace" sounds a little cold to me! I guess I could see where it might be awkward for someone, but even a forced smile is better than nothin'!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM

3,863 posts, read 8,841,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
LOL...funny question.

Personally, I generally smile if I pass someone on the street or if I got on an elevator with someone already in it. I was born and raised in the south, so to me it's just being polite to acknowledge someone.

As for the reponse, I think it's appropriate to respond if someone smiles at you. A "grimace" sounds a little cold to me! I guess I could see where it might be awkward for someone, but even a forced smile is better than nothin'!
I agree with hlauburn...its a southern thing. A grimace sounds like a case of constipation. As Tampa isnt a real southern city I guess I understand..you could try to do one of those fake "I'm royalty...your a commoner" smiles just leave off the hand waggle!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,477,099 times
I like living in a culture where people don't feel awkward exchanging smiles with a stranger.
Smiling like laughing is good for the soul. I pity people who find it hard to smile.
I know in some cities people only smile on the street when they are trying to sell you something (like a fake Rolex).
Is that how it is in Tampa?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,103,421 times
proper southerners here baby.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM

3,863 posts, read 8,841,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
proper southerners here baby.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,216 times
I know in some cities people only smile on the street when they are trying to sell you something (like a fake Rolex).
Is that how it is in Tampa?[/quote]

ummm, yea that and worse, like....oh maybe "ms lady would you like a gram of ---- discount if you buy in bulk" '

or : often someone down on their luck, or mentally ill who will follow you around and pester you etc etc.

better to avoid strangers and not give them an opening

Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,760,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Is that how it is in Tampa?
Not really. Discounting street people, people smile because they're friendly. What I can't stand are the people who purposely try to avoid looking at you.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 AM

28 posts, read 39,152 times
I am from NE Ohio originally and I smile at people on the street. I am just that way though.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,743,637 times
Well I'm from NJ and most people don't smile or say hello or anything else in passing. Part of what I like down here is people smile or say hello or whatever in passing. We ARE all human beings. Doesn't hurt to be polite and say hello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville