Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i really dont see anything wrong with the flags. i have more of a problem with the puerto-ricans putting their flags in the front lawn or all over thier cars than i do with confederate flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
a flag is a flag.
You are contradicting yourself here.

To get back OT, the confederate flag is symbolic of intolerance. MY DH was from MS and a history buff. He didn't see the confederate flag as a racist statement, but he knew that the mainstream did. He never would have considered wearing one on a shirt or on a car bumper.

It is alienating and those who go around flaunting it know darned well how many will interpret it. Jacksonville does have more than it's share of folks who delight in their "southern pride", when they are really sending a not-to-subtle message to Blacks and yankees.

It's a disservice to those with true southern pride, as true southerners are ladies and gentlemen and would not knowingly offend. Jax has plently of those folks, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 03:39 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
my point is, if i wanted to complain about it, i'd have more of a problem with ppl from pr putting up their flags in their yards, because that isnt a pretty sight in the subdivision. if someone has a rebel flag on their car, i could live with that a little easier.

it's southern pride, and you live in the south, or what is left of "southern" parts of fla. this however is not pr, and that is my point.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,591 times
Well, interesting posts. I am investing in some property west of Jacksonville and looking forward to relocating there in a few years.

First of all, it's Florida, where I spent the 2nd half of my life (Tampa area), Second, it has some changes in temp as opposed to being hot all the time (current third of life is in the Caribbean) and the first half of my life was a northeasterner. So I guess I will have fun, Yank+southerner+caribgirl!

But seriously, I applaud Law student and Riveree for their sensible and realistic posts. Some people embrace change, some resist, that's the world over. It is how you endeavour to meet challenges.

Where I live, there are so many different flags flown it's crazy! And I love it! Diversity is fun, be open minded. We all have our preferences for our lifestyles and will agree that what is good for one is good for another.

Buffy, don't think it is humiliating because you had to change your marketing to reach your target audience, consider it a challenge. Not everyone is from the midwest, or the carolinas and have the same train of thought, or dialect or composition of grammer that you do. I have to change my dialect and grammer in dealing with some of the people that I do. I don't consider it humiliating, it is actually rewarding when you receive acknowledgement and respect from one who would otherwise ignore a person who considered themself superior. Get on ground level and have a genuine interest in all you meet.

And I happen to like the Florida (FL) (FLA) folk, that is a part of my life!
I visited Jax city (San Marco area) and loved that too! And Amelia Island. Looking forward to relocating, so if anyone has any pointers now (before the land deal closes) Please let me know! Thanks!
Mags

Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 PM

9 posts, read 33,223 times
I drove through some neighborhoods in Orange Park and saw the confederate flag as window treatments and to cover an entire garage door. This is only one example of many.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:34 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
yeeeeeeehhaaaaawwww!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM

119 posts, read 610,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand-n-surf View Post
I drove through some neighborhoods in Orange Park and saw the confederate flag as window treatments and to cover an entire garage door. This is only one example of many.
That is the height of tackiness. I thought I left these sort of shenanigans behind when I crossed the Brevard County line for the last time. Gosh, even aluminum foil makes a better window treatment!!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash731 View Post
That is the height of tackiness. I thought I left these sort of shenanigans behind when I crossed the Brevard County line for the last time. Gosh, even aluminum foil makes a better window treatment!!
Orange Park is in Clay county, if that's any consolation, Smash .

Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 PM

94 posts, read 482,061 times
it's about going out there and doing more than just flyers---i work for a local company and the sales people go out and bust their rear ends to get a sale---within 2 months we have gotten a lot of business with big names.

there are the rude people around town but its not nice calling people names. what kind of business do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy123 View Post
you know i gotta tell you, jax is the weirdest city i have ever lived in, and i have been around. i have never been in a city that is so clicky. to start a business in jax is like standing on the street corner begging for hand outs. you only get fed if you know someone who knows someone who knows someone with money. anything like professional advertising here certainly doesnt work in any form. im starting to believe its because people cant read. i am a midwestern farm boy who earns his keep by working hard, and my wife is from the carolinas and is a sweet loving woman. its crazy but i reduced the complexity of my advertising for my business recently by putting in simple words and short phrases at a ten year old childs level on my website and my local flyers, and im starting to get calls. go figure.....i honestly think the education level must have been really bad here, and many of the locals may be smart but simply uneducated. Weird.....and not to mention the fact that technically im a yankee, even being a farmboy from the midwest which is a bad beat for me to take. its ok, ill keep advertising to ten year olds.....

Old 08-31-2007, 11:14 AM

18 posts, read 54,989 times
A few more American Flags would be nice to see. This is the UNITED States of America after all.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 9,381 times
Cool Education is laughable....

I'm a transplant from NC and I have to say that what the school system here calls an education is completely laughable. My son was in an academically gifted program prior to relocating here. Once we came down here and enrolled him into school I was told that the school he had to attend didn't have those services, but they'd do what they could to keep him occupied. WTH does that even mean? Needless to say my son got bored quick as his class was at least 6 months behind where he was in NC. I received countless calls from the school about what a distraction he was being to the other students. My response was to get him in a school that had the programs he needed to stay busy. They told me I could request a transfer, but I had to put his name in a hat and hope it got picked. If a school is obviously not meeting the needs of a child academically then why is there such an issue moving him to another school that so easily could? All they had to do was move papers from one school to the other. I complained to the school superintendent and his response was that as a whole the school system here was improving and if I could just be patient, it would show and I'd approve. So, I'm supposed to wait for the school system to catch up to my child's ability?

Clearly, if the teachers and administrators here were part of the public school system, the kids of Jax are doomed. Ignorance just breeds more ignorance. I pulled my son out of the schools here and I currently pay someone to home school him. I'd rather pay out of pocket to ensure he gets the education that's supposed to be supplied automatically than risk the chance of him becoming just another regular kid moving along with the masses.

And just a note for all those 'spell checkers', there is a spell check button that's a free feature for all to use. How about pointing that out instead of talking trash. Besides, the misspelling could come from just being around some of these idiots who live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville