Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 AM

115 posts, read 233,009 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, I remember going to Silver Springs near Ocala. There was a park with glass bottomed boats, and more monkeys than I've ever seen anywhere else. Is that place still open, and where can I find out about it? It seems to either be elusive or closed down.

If they closed it down, what would you do with 10,000 monkeys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
When I was a kid, I remember going to Silver Springs near Ocala. There was a park with glass bottomed boats, and more monkeys than I've ever seen anywhere else. Is that place still open, and where can I find out about it? It seems to either be elusive or closed down.

As far as I know the springs and the monkeys are still there but now its more known for its Wild Water Park. I remember seeing commercials years ago about going there and feeling like your at the beach because they had a wave pool and a sandy beach area. They also advertised jeep off road adventures and an island occupied by thousands of monkeys. try this link...
Silver Springs Ocala – Nature’s Theme Park

Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 AM

115 posts, read 233,009 times
Thanks for the link, madcap. The website doesn't mention monkeys, and the map shows it all built up. When I lived in Florida in the early 80's, it wasn't built up. Maybe they had to move the monkeys to make room for more profit, rides, etc..

Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
I made the hugest mistake by googling "what happened to the Silver Spring monkeys" -- if you love animals, don't do it. If you do, do not go to the wikipedia article.

But I'm guessing the monkeys may still be there; however, since there was so much controversy about their future, I'm guessing their existence just isn't advertised.

I, too, remember in the 70s and 80s going there and riding in the glass bottom boats and seeing Monkey Island.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,565,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post

Thats an interesting place that silver springs. I remember the glass boat & all the animals in the water. They even show you where the water comes out of the earth. Dont remember any monkeys, I do remember the sunken statues & how clear the water is.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I made the hugest mistake by googling "what happened to the Silver Spring monkeys" -- if you love animals, don't do it. If you do, do not go to the wikipedia article.
I think that was about Silver Spring, Maryland, not Silver Springs in central FL.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I think that was about Silver Spring, Maryland, not Silver Springs in central FL.
If you google Silver Springs monkeys ... it takes you to a site that says that about 200 of the monkees were sold to a research firm up in Pa. or somewhere, and how the management of Silver springs didn't know what was going to happen to the lil critters (?) and how they are so, so, sorry it happened and never will again....at least not till they get $1000 each again heres a link...
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/08/27/us...-at-rules.html

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 06-13-2011 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville