Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,849 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new on this forum and would like to know if anyone could give some information about St Augustine. I also would like to know if anyone could refer us to some legitimate companies that we can call to rent a home or condo until we are ready to buy a home. I have called several, but I figured it would not hurt to ask. ( We are willing to spend between $900.00 and $1100.00 per month.)

My husband has a job in Jacksonville but we do not want to move where there is a lot of crime. He will work from home so no need to commute. We have 4 children so we need to know of a safe neighborhood with good schools.

We thought about Orange park, Palm Coast, or Flemming island.

I would like to know your thoughts. If someone who has lived in Florida and know the land well could lend me some advise as to which of these cities would be ideal for a family I would be so greatful.

So far from all of the forums I have read my best choice would be St. Augustine or Flemming island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:32 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,505,742 times
St Augustine or Fleming Island? Really? Two polar opposites ones an collection of sub divisions and ones a tourist mecca just brimming with snowbirds in the winter and families in the off school time of the year (interpret as overpriced and overcrowded) You don't want to live in Jax because of the crime...so look into Nocatee, its a large master planned community in N. St Johns county (probably the best schools in N. Fla.) Home - Nocatee and no I don't live there, nor am I a real estate agent. If I didn't have a nice home and land out in far western Duval and Nassau county I would consider living there. I was born and raised in North Florida (3rd generation) and returned/retired here after 25 years of military service, and know the area quite well. There are several real estate agents that post in this forum whom I would trust with their advice(they want to help and not just try to sell) Good Luck with your search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,994 times
Your price range will likely limit your choices. The rental market is very tight here right now. My best suggestion for houses in that range in St. Augustine would be looking in St. Augustine Shores. Landlords there often rent by putting a sign in the yard. Try Walter Williams Property Management.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,256 times
I had no problem finding a rental using Craigs List where I found the one I now live in and which I have used to rent my home on Anastasia Island. With 4 kids you will need a larger house and may need togo up to $1200 a month. I endorse the recommendation for Walter Williams property management.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Hi Tabbie. Do you have pets? If not, finding a rental will be. Peter's suggestion to up your budget for housing up to $1200 is valid if you want to live near the beach. You might try findng a St. Augustine area rental in the SeaGrove development which is on Anastasia Island very close to the beach. They have sidewalks there which you do not find in many other developments. A nice library branch is located in the development as is a post office. Houses and condos there are fairly new. if you are looking at a map of the area, SeaGrove is located in the St. Augustine Beach area at the intersection of State Route A1A and A St. There is a traffic light there to aid in crossing A1A to get to the beach. If living at the beach isn't a huge issue then I still stand by my suggestion to try finding a rental in St. Augustine Shores which also has sidewalks. This development has a newer south section and is located off US 1 south and north of St. Route 206

Old 06-18-2011, 01:23 PM

ooops. That last post should have said it is easier to find a rental if you do not have pets.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie View Post
Hello, I am new on this forum and would like to know if anyone could give some information about St Augustine. I also would like to know if anyone could refer us to some legitimate companies that we can call to rent a home or condo until we are ready to buy a home. I have called several, but I figured it would not hurt to ask. ( We are willing to spend between $900.00 and $1100.00 per month.)

My husband has a job in Jacksonville but we do not want to move where there is a lot of crime. He will work from home so no need to commute. We have 4 children so we need to know of a safe neighborhood with good schools.

We thought about Orange park, Palm Coast, or Flemming island.

I would like to know your thoughts. If someone who has lived in Florida and know the land well could lend me some advise as to which of these cities would be ideal for a family I would be so greatful.

So far from all of the forums I have read my best choice would be St. Augustine or Flemming island.
I am not sure I understand the concept of "working from home" and working in JAX. Whatever. Make sure working from home is allowed where you move (many condos/HOAs/zoning areas) have rules/laws that prohibit it. Of course - if all the work is on a computer - no one will find out. OTOH - if clients are coming to your house - that's a whole 'nother story. Robyn

Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 AM

28 posts, read 41,357 times
My parents live in St. Augustine and love it. We are planning on moving that way too. We are originally from Youngstown, Ohio. There is a BW3 in Jax that has a huge OSU following(if you are football fans).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville