Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,505,742 times

Advertisements

I just remembered when I was a kid growing up in Old Ortega(back in the late 50's) we used to bike down to the western end of the Ortega bridge and watch the fireworks. It was a real good spot, a straight shot down the river to downtown. It wasn't a nice park back then like it is now, more of an empty overgrown lot. One year we rode down to the waterfront on the old McGirtts plantation but it was way to spooky for 7 and 8 yr olds with vivid imaginations, all those old oak trees with the hanging moss and the stories of Daniel McGirtt who was said to still be roaming around chasing kids off his property. Stories told by those same kids parents..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,261 times
So my next question is, what time to arrive? Being from NJ, I'm using to having to show up HOURS in advance to stake out a spot somewhere (sometimes 4-6 hours--or earlier--if doing things in NYC).

Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
So my next question is, what time to arrive? Being from NJ, I'm using to having to show up HOURS in advance to stake out a spot somewhere (sometimes 4-6 hours--or earlier--if doing things in NYC).
Depends mainly on where you decide to watch from, the Landing or the Seawalk Pavilion maybe 2 hrs before showtime some of the less frequented spots maybe an hr or so before. Another good area to watch from is the back athletic fields at Bishop Kenny High School on Atlantic Blvd.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Depends mainly on where you decide to watch from, the Landing or the Seawalk Pavilion maybe 2 hrs before showtime some of the less frequented spots maybe an hr or so before. Another good area to watch from is the back athletic fields at Bishop Kenny High School on Atlantic Blvd.
Thanks a bunch!

Not sure where we'll go. I've heard the display at the Landing is quite good. We've got two little boys (8 and 5) and, we're making sure they'll be ok while waiting. They love the beach though so not sure if we might not just head over there (we're close to the beaches anyway).

Old 06-23-2011, 05:52 AM

I would go to the beaches display, if I were in your position, as its closer, almost as good and probably less of a wait for the kids.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I would go to the beaches display, if I were in your position, as its closer, almost as good and probably less of a wait for the kids.
Definitely leaning that way.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:01 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Ok, new to Jacksonville and wanted to see where good places to see good fireworks displays are around here. Tips/tricks on maximizing the experience with two kids (8 and 5) are also welcome.

I read some people talking about the fireworks on the beach. That certainly sounds like fun. Just need more details...where to park, what time to get there, etc...

I'm thinking the shows may be somewhat limited in the area with how dry it's been though.
The best spot is from a boat on the St Johns, but if you cant float, Northbank riverwalk is the best deal!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:08 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,348 times
Quote:
I usually take my family and some friends out in the boat to watch the fireworks. If you have any friends with a boat its probably the best way to see them without the parking and crowd hassle. Usually a couple of days before the 4th I launch the boat and cruise over to my sisters house in Ortega and dock it there. then on the 4th at about 3 PM we cast off and head down to the mooring area and anchor up and relax until the show starts at about 9:30, a lot of tailgating goodies and liquid refreshments are served and consumed while waiting. (except by me, I don't drink and I'm driving) We did the beach fireworks one year and anchored up about 3 miles off the beach...never again, to rough and to many guests got seasick.
Man that ocean water is a whole other beast than the river. Thats sound like a terrible experience. 4th of July in Jax Beach is always best from the sand I guess.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Man that ocean water is a whole other beast than the river. Thats sound like a terrible experience. 4th of July in Jax Beach is always best from the sand I guess.
The ocean can be a cruel mistress!... LOL ... But seriously it wasn't really all that rough out there. I do believe that those that got seasick were those that imbibed the most. Actually from personal experience the ocean is calmer at night than during the day something to do with the sun and heating the water up (?) I have actually had one of the roughest days on my boat on the River in a rain squall. We were coming back from Clarks Fish Camp down on Julington Creek and just off of Baptist Hospital Downtown we got nailed, 6 foot waves about 20 feet apart 40-50 mph winds out of the southwest that was brutal. My old 36' Donzi did OK anything much smaller would have been toast, as we were tossed around pretty good, kinda like Mr. Toads Wild Ride..LOL...

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 06-26-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
We're just too old to mess with stormy weather on the river! If the forecast calls for a high chance of t-storms on either/both days of the weekend, our boat doesn't go out. If the wind is high, boat doesn't go out either. As far as being on the river for any kind of fireworks display, it's fine as long as the boater knows their way around the river in darkness. Not for us though. Our days of "adventure" like that are long gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville