Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 AM

147 posts, read 286,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Valdosta View Post
Thanks for info about southside of the river. How about anywhere in Arlington, or San Marcos?
I talked to my friend and he said that Arlington in general is not a very good place to look at the fireworks from as it is at an obtuse angle on the river for viewing. He said San Marco is ok if you get down by the Ronald McDonald House area.
LOL Hopefully I will be going out an the boat above with my Bro Madcap. LOL Yeah I'm still begging I am no quiter thats for sure

Last edited by notSilverman; 06-29-2011 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: added the beggin bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 AM

97 posts, read 231,212 times
Default cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by notSilverman View Post
I talked to my friend and he said that Arlington in general is not a very good place to look at the fireworks from as it is at an obtuse angle on the river for viewing. He said San Marco is ok if you get down by the Ronald McDonald House area.
LOL Hopefully I will be going out an the boat above with my Bro Madcap. LOL Yeah I'm still begging I am no quiter thats for sure
Awesome notSilverman! I may have to find out more about San Marcos then. The fireworks are probably a lot better than in Valdosta, wouldnt you think? Do you know how long they will go on in Jax? I believe the best place I see fireworks in my life was from a friend's boat in the Delaware River about ten years ago in Philadelphia where Independence is supposed to so huge. On the way back to Rancocas, NJ, many other towns had the river all lit up as well. I may stay here if I can find out if they are decent in Valdosta though. I may as well have stayed camping in Atlantic Beach so I could see Jax's, we was there over the past wknd.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
River Road is the best viewing area in San Marco, though it will become crowded. The show lasts 20-30 minutes, depending.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 AM

33 posts, read 99,742 times
Why go anywhere at all? I just sit out in my front yard and watch the neighbors blow themselves up.

Thanks to the ridiculous laws concerning firworks, as long as you sign a waiver declaring the fireworks you are purchasing will be used for "agricultural purposes only", you can obtain almost-military strength ordnance guaranteed to blind a child or blow some kids fingers off.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good pyrotechnics display as much as the next person, but neighborhoods in Clay County (and other counties, Im sure) become WAR ZONES during most any holiday deemed appropriate to fire off explosives. The laws governing the purchasing and distribution of fireworks are a JOKE and children are getting hurt every year, because their parents are drunk and not paying attention. (point in case....the JSO officer up the street).

[[[rant over]]]]

Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 AM

147 posts, read 286,594 times
Quote:
Awesome notSilverman! I may have to find out more about San Marcos then. The fireworks are probably a lot better than in Valdosta, wouldnt you think? Do you know how long they will go on in Jax? I believe the best place I see fireworks in my life was from a friend's boat in the Delaware River about ten years ago in Philadelphia where Independence is supposed to so huge. On the way back to Rancocas, NJ, many other towns had the river all lit up as well. I may stay here if I can find out if they are decent in Valdosta though. I may as well have stayed camping in Atlantic Beach so I could see Jax's, we was there over the past wknd.
I really have no idea about how good the display is or how long it lasts, as I just arrived here 2 weeks ago myself to look around the area to see if I would like to move here. I was just relaying a friend of mines comments on your post.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:12 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Madcap you have been very interesting to me. To me, you are extremely valuable since it appears that you are one of the rare true native of Fla. I will have to keep an eye on your posts, it is likely that you will provide the most accurate and unbiased info.
I am a native Floridian but I was gone for about 30 of my 57 years. I left for college when I was 18 and when I graduated I was immediately inducted into the Army and spent numerous tours in and out of the country. I have been back here permanently since 2000 when I was medically retired from the Army (it's true what they say ... "only fools and bird*&@# fall out of the sky"... Airborne humor) Since that time I had been living on and managing my families various land holdings until last year when I had a minor stroke. Now my son does it. As for the accurate and unbiased comment .... well I try to be accurate anyway. But I don't believe anyone can be totally unbiased, especially if its discussing in a forum or in person, a subject that one is interested in or excited about. I try not to offend people in general but I am not afraid to state my opinion when someone makes a blatant effort to distort facts. But that's just me. I will reply to some posts with what some consider a flippant or smarta$$ answer, but again that is just me (sarcastic wit?)... Any personal messages should be sent in a DM in the future because the forum has many eyes.
OHH and NotSilverman "Bro" DM me your phone # and I will see what I can do to get you on the new boat as I haven't discussed who is going yet with the family. The new boat is a "lil" smaller so I need to see how many family want to go first.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Totally understand! Thing is, neighborhood illegal fireworks basically go unnoticed by law enforcement, just like gunfire does on the 4th and New Years Eve! However, how much law enforcement would there have to be to cover illegal fireworks and gunfire? Unfortunately, way to many families just act like they don't care when it comes to fireworks. "It's the 4th, let's have fun!" is all they think about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyRet View Post
Why go anywhere at all? I just sit out in my front yard and watch the neighbors blow themselves up.

Thanks to the ridiculous laws concerning firworks, as long as you sign a waiver declaring the fireworks you are purchasing will be used for "agricultural purposes only", you can obtain almost-military strength ordnance guaranteed to blind a child or blow some kids fingers off.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good pyrotechnics display as much as the next person, but neighborhoods in Clay County (and other counties, Im sure) become WAR ZONES during most any holiday deemed appropriate to fire off explosives. The laws governing the purchasing and distribution of fireworks are a JOKE and children are getting hurt every year, because their parents are drunk and not paying attention. (point in case....the JSO officer up the street).

[[[rant over]]]]

Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyRet View Post

[[[rant over]]]]
There's technically a burn ban (including fireworks) because of the wildfires. Not in Duval, but in some surrounding counties. So if you feel like busting your neighbors, you legitimately could.

Jacksonville Weather: Florida Fireworks Ban Map

Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
I busted my neighbors on New Year's Eve because there was a burn ban and they were shooting them directly into the nature preserve. Idiots.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 PM

97 posts, read 231,212 times
Default Super!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
There's technically a burn ban (including fireworks) because of the wildfires. Not in Duval, but in some surrounding counties. So if you feel like busting your neighbors, you legitimately could.

Jacksonville Weather: Florida Fireworks Ban Map
Hi projectmaximus! This map was extremely useful information! I highly commend you for this I I am still unsure as to whether or not I am staying here or traveling to see the fireworks. Originally we had planned on going to Stone Mountain, but, there is no way that I am in the mood to put up with those nearly milions of hooligans. I definitely will use this map to determine an alternate place to go to if I decide on a different locale. I just have a big 'bone to pick' with this country this years and in recent years past. I am very irritated by so many places that have chosen to have fireworks on days other than the 4th. Heck nowadays, some have fireworks nearly a week before the 4th. Is anyone else perturbed by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville