Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatUndercoverBrother View Post
Cleveland.
My mom is from Cleveland. She met my dad at McDill Air Force Base in Tampa. They moved back to Jacksonville and had me and my siblings. I can't say my mom doesn't like it here, but she's not very fond of it. She finds my dad's family to be kinda evil, but aside from that she really doesn't say anything bad about Jacksonville (except HOT weather). I guess it just depends on who you are. She also doesn't care about making friends or doing anything cultural (she's a boring person), so that could be why she doesn't mind it either. I've been to Cleveland plenty of times. It's definitely bigger than Jacksonville and has a lot to do (like any city), but they have their problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 PM

65 posts, read 180,544 times
Oh I agree Cleveland has a ton of problems, starting from its corrupt local government. Nonetheless, there is more to do in a smaller space (comparative to Jax).

Your mom sounds like my cousin. What part of Cleveland is she from? My parents have a love-hate relationship with the city. When they are there, they hate it, complain about the weather and pot holes, but when they are away they miss it, and yearn to go back.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Oh I agree Cleveland has a ton of problems, starting from its corrupt local government. Nonetheless, there is more to do in a smaller space (comparative to Jax).

Your mom sounds like my cousin. What part of Cleveland is she from? My parents have a love-hate relationship with the city. When they are there, they hate it, complain about the weather and pot holes, but when they are away they miss it, and yearn to go back.
Smaller physical space maybe, Cleveland is maybe 1/10 the size of Jacksonville (about 80 sq. miles to 800 sq. miles) but it has twice the metro population, (2.5 million people to 1.3 million) so wouldn't it stand to reason that there would be more to do in Cleveland than there is in Jacksonville. As for culture I do not know the Cleveland area all that well, I'm sure there's a symphony and museums but we have those also. What we don't have is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I have been to Cleveland a couple of times and it was OK nothing special although the area I was visiting was very, very nice but not representative to the overall Cleveland area, so I would not feel comfortable making judgements on it.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
What are you talking about it costs $500 to get a FL license plate? No it does not.

You register your vehicle and you get your plate. You will have to get a FL title for your car as well since you will now be living in FL but that does not cost anywhere near $500.

When I moved to Miami, it cost me less than $100 for title and plate.

How on earth did it cost you $500?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
What are you talking about it costs $500 to get a FL license plate? No it does not.

You register your vehicle and you get your plate. You will have to get a FL title for your car as well since you will now be living in FL but that does not cost anywhere near $500.

This is th e new breakdown (I guess it just entered into effect this past year)

85.25 Title Fee
2.00 some ohter fee
225.00 Initial 1 time fee for new/out-of-state and never lived in Fl fee
28.00 Plates
71.15 Registration (DMV said this fee depended on the type of car, so she game a generic amount)

At least: 411 (more depending on what plates you get and the car you have)

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
People who have never experienced this heat/humidity are just as impressed with it as people who have never experienced, KEYWORD:EXPRIENCED a snow storm in the snow belt. One thing is to say "oh yeah it gets hot down there," to experience the equivalent of opening your oven door while you've been baking at 450F for an hour, when you open your car door or house door. But anyhow that's part of the weather here, I mentioned it because a lot of people don't UNDERSTAND that, as rightfully so I didn't because I had never lived or EXPERIENCED the South.
Right, however, unless you grew up under a rock--or are not from the US (which, if that's the case, then I could understand not knowing these things), you'd know it gets HOT. When people tell you it gets HOT somewhere, you should expect this. Maybe you're not prepared for it but you came off as being surprised in your original post.

Quote:
2. Some Carribean beaches actually have palm trees for shade.
Ok, so what beaches in the US have palm trees for shade? Either way, the vast majority of the beaches in the world, do not have shade on the beach.

Quote:
3. No, had no idea how religious people are in the South, because, again, I had NEVER lived or EXPERIENCED the South.
Again, unless you grew up under a rock, how could you not know people are more religious down here!!??

Quote:
4. And yes, I've driven in NYC and DC and I can tell the difference driving, and honestly, I prefer the faster pace.
Nobody is questioning whether you do like the faster pace or not. But, again, how could you not know this?

The thing is, you come here and totally trash somewhere. I'm with you in some of your complaints. I don't care if people trash areas like that. I'm ok with living here--as are over 1,000,000 other people. However, some people don't like it here. That's also fine. But you talk about a bunch of things, which you should have known before you moved here.

Yes, some of these things you may not have known about until you experienced it, but the vast majority of the things you complained about are, well, honestly, kinda common sense. More importantly, you should be mad at yourself more than anything. You said you interviewed for a job and had to take it on the same day. Now, I understand we don't all have a lot of choices for employment...especially during these trying times. However, if you had to make a major move, then you should have told the employer you need to investigate the area before committing to moving here. That's on you not the area.

I'm sorry you're not happy. I hope you find somewhere that you'll be happy. Maybe this time you'll do a little investigation before moving...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post

There's a huge surcharge for the first time registering a car in FL. Sucks. It's a little over $400 to register a car here for the first time.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
At least in fl you dont pay state sales tax.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Right, however, unless you grew up under a rock--or are not from the US (which, if that's the case, then I could understand not knowing these things), you'd know it gets HOT. When people tell you it gets HOT somewhere, you should expect this. Maybe you're not prepared for it but you came off as being surprised in your original post.

Ok, so what beaches in the US have palm trees for shade? Either way, the vast majority of the beaches in the world, do not have shade on the beach.

Again, unless you grew up under a rock, how could you not know people are more religious down here!!??

Nobody is questioning whether you do like the faster pace or not. But, again, how could you not know this?

The thing is, you come here and totally trash somewhere. I'm with you in some of your complaints. I don't care if people trash areas like that. I'm ok with living here--as are over 1,000,000 other people. However, some people don't like it here. That's also fine. But you talk about a bunch of things, which you should have known before you moved here.

Yes, some of these things you may not have known about until you experienced it, but the vast majority of the things you complained about are, well, honestly, kinda common sense. More importantly, you should be mad at yourself more than anything. You said you interviewed for a job and had to take it on the same day. Now, I understand we don't all have a lot of choices for employment...especially during these trying times. However, if you had to make a major move, then you should have told the employer you need to investigate the area before committing to moving here. That's on you not the area.

I'm sorry you're not happy. I hope you find somewhere that you'll be happy. Maybe this time you'll do a little investigation before moving...
1- You'd be surprised how many people do not know how religious the south is. A lot of people don't pay attention to southern living outside of it's resorts.

2-I am not mad at myself for making the decision to come down here, I did what I had to do at the time, the best way I could, if you're an adult in the workforce, I'm sure you'll understand.

3-I already talked about people's right to give opinions about a place in a previous posting, so I'm not going to reiterate my thoughts on that.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Just saw that you're from Cleveland. I mean, no offense, but that's just funny. Being from Cleveland and complaining about, well, just about anywhere (except for Detroit ). Jacksonville may have its share of problems but Cleveland is the butt of a lot more jokes than Jacksonville ever could hope to be. Now, I've never lived in Cleveland but I've done business there. I can tell you, I'd never want to live there.

I'm from Northern NJ (just outside of NYC). There are plenty of jokes with that area being the butt as well. So I understand. But I certainly like it down here way more than up there.

I agree things are much more religious here. People will actively try and get you to come to their church and other things. However, I've been here 9 months now and have met many wonderful people I can call friends. I've built business relationships with many of them as well. The people here have been much more helpful to me and my family than anyone in NJ ever was. And I am not in any way, shape or form a religious person. Don't go to church or anything. In short, I don't see the complaints you have in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville