Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM

202 posts, read 367,928 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

Might be flying into Jacksonville for work next week. I won't have much time, but is there anything in particular I should visit/eat?

Cheers!
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Basically its up to you, what do you like to do, and what type of food do you like. I would hate to recommend a great Mexican restaurant and turns out your allergic to jalapenos, and then later find out you died, that would suck! LOL

Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 AM

I eat all! Not allergic to anything. So go ahead and recommend without worrying about blood on your hands.

Besides, if you kill me - I can't post on here to let you know what happened anyway, right?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 PM

65 posts, read 180,566 times
If you are from Cleveland, I would recommend Riverside, it's kind of like Detroit Shoreway/a little of Coventry. Avondale resembles Edgewater/Clifton Blvd., Lakewood. San Marco is a little reminiscent of Pasadena, CA if you've been there. Unless you have a whole day off to check out Jacksonville Beach, and check out the beach, it's quite a drive East after getting off 95N/S, probably not worth it.

Best food options are down in Avondale/San Marco/Riverside. There is a place called Kickbacks that has a pretty descent menu Kickbacks Gastropub - Riverside - Jacksonville | Urbanspoon but the beer selection is smaller than Ballentines in Willoughby, OH. Food good but kindda greasy, but you can have beer at 11am w/whatever you order, including breakfast.

If you are in Southside there is that big mall called St.Johns off of Gate Pkwy. There is an Asian/Sushi place called Bento, kind of reminiscent of Sushi Rock in Cleveland, only 3 of these in the entire FL area? and one of them is here. They have a nice selection of sashimi bowls for under $10.

Another good choice is Brick in Avondale: Brick - Avondale - Jacksonville | Urbanspoon nice atmosphere and menu.

Whenever you drive down from the airport to anywhere in Jacksonville, make sure you have a GPS with you, you can get lost somewhere in ghetto after a couple of really nice blocks down in Riverside.

If you are down in Beach Blvd. You might want to check out Mojo Mojo Kitchen - Jacksonville Beach | Urbanspoon I've heard mixed reviews...never been there, so can't really tell you.

If you miss the Landing it's no big deal, it's in downtown Jax, but honestly there is much more going on in downtown Cleveland than downtown here, so you can just imagine. Anyhow, its a strip next to the river, nice view, and some restaurants, there may or may not be some kind of live performance if you are there at night.

There are some clubs downtown, but depending on the night they may be really, really dead. You'll find more people at the Velvet Dog during winter in Cleveland than some nights in downtown Jax, there is this nice place there called: Dos Gatos - Jacksonville's Swank Downtown Neighborhood Lounge that is worth checking out, good drinks and atmosphere, music kind of sucks depending on the night, but it is worth checking out.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the tips! Your post is exactly the kind I look for whenever I travel. Had one like that from some folks in Dallas for when I had to do some work out there.

So I'm guessing you're from Cleveland that you know so much about it?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Yes I am, from Westpark, and you?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 PM

'Burbs (Mentor), but just moved back from Chicago and will be moving downtown next to E. 4th no later than August!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Nice choice! I love downtown Cleveland, it's come such a long way. Chicago is pretty awesome too! During summer Cleveland has a nice selection of restaurants that offer dinner for two, at a fixed price so you can try out what restaurants in the area have to offer. Historic Warehouse District's FB page updates the list weekly Historic Warehouse District, Cleveland | Facebook

Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks! I'm excited. Wasn't as excited about Chicago after living there (hated it!).

And thanks for the link, I'm pretty familiar with them. I bleed Cleveland, so I usually know about most events going on around town, haha.

One of the many reasons I moved back was to get other to boomerang, too, so hope to see ya back up there sometime!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 PM

Believe me, I can't wait to go back home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville