Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,145,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAM View Post
Magnolia, who are you to judge me or anything else for that matter ? Why are you "combing" the Jacksonville, FL forums only to add your sarcastic 2 cents ? You have plenty of problems and issues in Palm Beach county. Stick to your area and focus on meaningful posting.
As you are new to CD, you are probably not aware that folks are free to post to any forum. No residency requirements. However, I am a Duval County property owner and visit family there regularly, so, if you have any questions related to the area, I would be happy to comment from my perspective.

As for my comments about the CAM profession, I am a CAM and own a CAM firm, so posted my opinion about the use of the imaginary "LCAM" designation from my area of expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Hmmm I wonder do you give up that easy when faced with a tough Community Association problem?
Can we get an AMEN? This was my thought exactly. How about a condo election that requires security because of division within the unit owners? Or finding $ illegally transferred from the reserves? Getting a phone call at 11pm- "Someone's toilet is backing up into my sink..." Or the roof blows off after a tropical storm and the residents are screaming at you BC you can't wave your magic wand and make it reappear?

LCAM- I think you meant well, but your responses to those that posted before my first post were very defensive. Lighten up, take a jab once in a while and look for threads asking for info on association-related issues. Use the search feature and share your knowledge. You sound very new to the biz, but that doesn't mean you don't have anything to contribute. That is what I think is so cool about the job- our past experiences give each of us an edge over certain areas of our work.

Don't quit CD so quickly- some of us may be a bit curmudgeonly (okay, I MAY be ), but it is a terrific forum and I have made many friends in RL from taking part in CD.

If you aren't aware- Eric Boyd is a Realtor and manages single homes/units. I'm sure he has dealt with much of the same things we do in our biz.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 07-10-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 PM

I guess it is up to me, then, to answer anyone's questions about FS 718 or 720. Or any other questions you may have about anything....

Why waste a good thread?

Magnolia Bloom, LCAM

Old 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,471,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I guess it is up to me, then, to answer anyone's questions about FS 718 or 720. Or any other questions you may have about anything....

Why waste a good thread?

Magnolia Bloom, LCAM
I have one. What exactly does a LCam do? Are they the ones who are hired by HOA's to run and enforce the community rules by sending letters to home owners whom have somehow breached something in the rules and covenants? Well two questions actually, whats FS 718 or 720? I haven't lived in a community with an association in 30 years and when I did I really didn't pay much attention to it. As I was mostly away stationed overseas most of the time, my wife stayed here with the kids usually and dealt with it. Thanks in advance for any info given.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I have one. What exactly does a LCam do? Are they the ones who are hired by HOA's to run and enforce the community rules by sending letters to home owners whom have somehow breached something in the rules and covenants? Well two questions actually, whats FS 718 or 720? I haven't lived in a community with an association in 30 years and when I did I really didn't pay much attention to it. As I was mostly away stationed overseas most of the time, my wife stayed here with the kids usually and dealt with it. Thanks in advance for any info given.
Thank you for the question MaDcapmagishion.

A community association manager is typically responsible for carrying out the day-to-day management of a condominium or homeowner association. Cooperatives and mobile home parks can also be managed by a CAM. The CAM is also frequently involved in preparation of the budget, overseeing capital projects and assisting with amendments to documents.

As with most jobs, the responsibilities can vary wildly. The CAM can run the show or be little more than an administrative assistant, depending on the Board of Directors and their needs.

Yes, the CAM is the one that typically will send the "love notes" to an owner. I find that for the usual issues, speaking to the owner first is more effective. If the personal contact is not effective, I then issue a carefully crafted love note, followed by the come-to-Jesus letter.

Florida Statute 718 governs condos, 719 governs cooperatives and 720 governs homeowners associations. Most associations are not for profit corporations, so chapter 617 comes into play, as well.

MB, LCAM

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 07-10-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,471,309 times
Quote:
Thank you for the question MaDcapmagishion.

A community association manager is typically responsible for carrying out the day-to-day management of a condominium or homeowner association. Cooperatives and mobile home parks can also be managed by a CAM. The CAM is also frequently involved in preparation of the budget, overseeing capital projects and assisting with amendments to documents.

As with most jobs, the responsibilities can vary wildly. The CAM can run the show or be little more than an administrative assistant, depending on the Board of Directors and their needs.

Yes, the CAM is the one that typically will send the "love notes" to an owner. I find that for the usual issues, speaking to the owner first is more effective. If the personal contact is not effective, I then issue a carefully crafted love note, followed by the come-to-Jesus letter.

Florida Statute 718 governs condos, 719 governs cooperatives and 720 governs homeowners associations. Most associations are not for profit corporations, so chapter 617 comes into play, as well.
MB, LCAM
Thanks MB L CAM For the concise and timely answer. I probably should have been more involved withe the HOA when I used to live in the Plantation back in the 80's But only being there occasionally between tours overseas, and my wife insisting she was more than happy to do it. I guess made me a bit less interested in it. Now having 2 rentals in HOA communities the only time I get involved with the HOA is if there a serious dilemma like all the grass dying and re sodding the yard, or basically when I have to spend money to correct a problem it seems.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,399,889 times
I think we should try to get this thread back on track.

Surely someone must have questions about their condo associations or HOAs (I've seen questions posted in other threads).

Note that I've lived in condos and a HOA in Florida for about 35 years now. Served on a BOD - various committees - etc. My husband is currently the chairperson of our CVHC (Covenants Violation Hearing Committee) In our condos in Miami - we had "in-house" property managers (they were large condos). Here in our HOA - we use an outside management firm. There are advantages and disadvantages to each IMO.

FWIW - my husband and I do have questions from time to time. But - since we're both retired Florida lawyers - we are usually pretty good at finding the answers ourselves (or coming to the conclusion that there are no answers written in stone).

BTW - for a landlord in a HOA - the most important recent HOA legislation is this:

Attachment of Rents. Last year [2010], Chapter 720 of the Florida Statutes was amended to authorize a homeowners' association to require that a parcel owner's tenant pay rent directly to the homeowners' association if a parcel owner is delinquent in paying monetary obligations to the homeowners' association. The current legislation clarifies that what was previously referred to as "future monetary obligations" includes all subsequent rent due from the tenant to the parcel owner and must be paid to the homeowners' association until all delinquent accounts are paid in full. The legislation also provides a form demand letter required to be sent to tenants by the homeowners' association that explains the tenant's obligation to pay rent to the homeowners' association, and clarifies that the tenant is immune from any claim by the landlord/unit owner relating to the rent which is timely paid to the homeowners' association after the homeowners' association has made a written demand for rent from the tenant.

Robyn

Old 07-11-2011, 01:53 PM

2,558 posts, read 6,467,698 times
Good post, Robin. That's something I should probably include in my management agreement with owners, so they know what their obligations are.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've already included it!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 10,581 times
Robyn, great input. Retired lawyer ? Super. Finally some intelligent poster! I interact with experienced attorneys all the time on different professional forums about FL Condo & HOA Law. There is a new HB 1195 (effective July 1, 2011) aka the "glitch Bill." FS 720 (HOAs) 3085(8) which clarifies that tenant is responsible for payment directly to the association until all past due monetary obligation is paid in full. No requirement for a Court appointed "Rent Receiver" to play it safe. CAMs can collect these rents without risking sanctions.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 10,581 times
Quote:

Why waste a good thread?

Magnolia Bloom, LCAM

In case you did not know, it is a violation of the FL Administrative Code (FAC) to attach a LCAM or CAM title to a "screen name" or pseudonym.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,399,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAM View Post
Robyn, great input. Retired lawyer ? Super. Finally some intelligent poster! I interact with experienced attorneys all the time on different professional forums about FL Condo & HOA Law. There is a new HB 1195 (effective July 1, 2011) aka the "glitch Bill." FS 720 (HOAs) 3085(8) which clarifies that tenant is responsible for payment directly to the association until all past due monetary obligation is paid in full. No requirement for a Court appointed "Rent Receiver" to play it safe. CAMs can collect these rents without risking sanctions.
I was the first person who asked what your qualifications were. And - when you stated them - I moved on. Other people apparently didn't.

I think that there are property managers in Florida who are good - bad or indifferent. And that many are dealing with difficult issues these days as the economy has deteriorated. The property manager can't be expected to maintain standards in a community if the condo or homeowners association isn't willing to be hard-nosed about it.

Of course - there are people going bankrupt - and properties going into foreclosure. But my husband and I agree that if someone has an expensive smart phone contract - he and/or she should be expected to maintain the property they own. Robyn

P.S. My husband's committee has about 5-10 cases a month - and we personally inspect all the properties that come up for hearings. In most cases - the complaints are justified. In some cases - they aren't (some people who complain say that trees are dead - when - in fact - they're dormant and have lost their leaves in the winter - I am my husband's gardening expert ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville