Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,850 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Jacksonville at the end of the year. We need help in deciding where to move. We will rent at first to make sure the neighborhood is a good fit for us. We are a very young 55+ couple. My husband still works but the commute is not a problem. We both play golf, enjoy good restaurants, like to go to the theater, enjoy entertaining. We are social and are looking for a friendly neighborhood. We are moving from a small town just about 45 minutes of Seattle Wa. a place called Gig Harbor. We want a safe place. We woiuld go to the beach but not as sun lovers we once were but rather not as a morning or evening walk instead. We live in a very nice gated community now and want a great place to live where we can get the most bang for our buck. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:50 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Probably the most important question we could ask is a delicate one. How much are you looking to spend on rent and then on buying a home? Because Jacksonville is a widely diverse area and for $800 rent in Riverside for a nice 2 bedroom, it will cost upwards of $2000 in some of the premier beach gated communities like Queens Harbour or Marsh Landing or The Plantation.(and I'm not to sure if you can even rent in those areas now, when I lived at the Plantation 25 yrs ago you could not rent out your home. An HOA thing) Maybe a place like Riverwood in Nocatee would be ideal it is a gated community not to far from the beach, but again I am not sure of rental availability as its a brand new community. Does not have it's own golf course yet, but has playing privileges with some nearby they say. Heres a link ...
Riverwood at Nocatee:
Riverwood at Nocatee: Ponte Vedra, FL, New homes by Del Webb

Old 07-05-2011, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,850 times
Default Thank You

We would like to keep our rent @ $2,000 or below. We perfer a house over an apartment but we would like approx 1800 - 2000 sq. Ft. all on one level.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 PM

5,177 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Amelia Island, but that will depend on where you need to commute to. Good Luck, lots of great neighborhoods in Jax, from urban to the suburbs to the beaches.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Amelia Island, but that will depend on where you need to commute to. Good Luck, lots of great neighborhoods in Jax, from urban to the suburbs to the beaches.
Amelia Island is a good place to look but personally I would look a little more west towards I-95 across the inter coastal bridge in communities like Amelia National or North Hampton both are very nice with truly great golf courses. Back on Amelia island is another nice place to look at called Summer Beach where the Ritz Carlton is located. Also in the mix is Amelia Island Plantation with 3 fairly good 9's and one great course at Long Point at the southern end of the island. All the above except for North Hampton are gated communities.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM

10 posts, read 27,881 times
Maybe Ponte Vedra, has beaches and tons of golf... But luckily you are in the golf capital ... You are never more than a few minutes away from a golf course, or the beaches..

Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,990 times
I have lived in Jacksonville for 20 years, several at Amelia Island, and now in the Riverside-Avondale neighborhood. I retired here from Chicago. First, you will find the summer weather VERY hot compared to Seattle. Downtown Jax is pretty uninspiring but the symphony is excellent and many artists and touring companies perform here. Oct. to June can be very nice with short spells of "winter". Amelia Island Plantation is a gorgeous gated community and Amelia Island itself now has many other wonderful home options. Most residents at the Plantation are "older" and very affluent. Fernandina is the little town on Amelia Island and is quite picturesque. Boating is big. Golf is king. Commuting to downtown Jacksonville or the busy south side of Jax will take about an hour. Personally, given your age, I would rent in the tree-lined Avondale area which is the historic district and has a great little restaurant-shopping street. It is loaded with parks and all streets end at the St. John's river. You can zip into downtown Jax for the theater and cultural options in ten minutes. St. Vincent's Hospital provides excellent medical service. This is an area where everyone walks, bikes, know their neighbors, hold block parties and welcome diverse ages and lifestyles. This is not a subdivision: the homes vary widely in age and architectural styles. The effect overall is charming and vibrant. I left Amelia Island Plantation at 55 because I personally did not want to live in a gated community and feel "retired" with mostly alot of other older "retired" people, nice as they were. I like have much older and much younger friends and neighbors . Due to the soft real estate market, there are great deals here and many lovely homes can be rented while their owners hope for the market to improve.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 AM

378 posts, read 829,806 times
You are wise to rent rather than buy. Florida appeals to many at first glance but over 1000 people a day pack up at move out. It's a revolving door state. Other posters are correct. JAX is huge and is filled with so many pockets of areas, it's hard to mention just a few if you don't have a place mentioned to commute to. Most people moving in are happier if they match their past surroundings with their new ones. If you loved the small town and sense of community of the area you are moving from, that will be harder to find in FL. Try to find a pocket of town with less concrete, congestion and residents who don't care about the area. Maybe a short term furnished rental until you find the right area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville