Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 AM

134 posts, read 254,318 times

Advertisements

I was looking for some thoughts about why google maps tells me to get off I95 South at exit 129 and go to the Florida Turnpike to get to the Keys. Why no take 95 South? Has anyone taken these routes?

I appreciate any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
I have been to the keys dozens of times and it seems like the best way to go as I-95 ends just south of Miami and turns into US-1 and thats mainly a 4 lane street level main drag through south Miami where it turns into the south Dixie Highway, where as the Florida Turnpike is an Expressway to the South Dixie Highway and then onto the Overseas Highway to Key West. The #1 reason is ITS QUICKER!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 AM

278 posts, read 664,802 times
I've gone dozens of times, too. I believe the Turnpike is a toll road and I-95 isn't. Also, the Turnpike is quicker and less crowded - MUCH less crowded, the last time I drove it. More expensive, due to the tolls, but I've taken both and I think the Turnpike is quicker. Especially this time of year.

I remember doing it as a college kid a few years ago and counting out change, praying that I had enough for the next toll. Good times!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
I've gone dozens of times, too. I believe the Turnpike is a toll road and I-95 isn't. Also, the Turnpike is quicker and less crowded - MUCH less crowded, the last time I drove it. More expensive, due to the tolls, but I've taken both and I think the Turnpike is quicker. Especially this time of year.

I remember doing it as a college kid a few years ago and counting out change, praying that I had enough for the next toll. Good times!
I think the total for my truck and a triple axle boat trailer was like $15.00 one way and well worth every penny of it. Thats a total of 5 axels with just a car it is probably 1/2 that.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Default Thanks

This is very helpful. We drove down last year and got the feeling we were lost when we took 95 to the end. it felt like Little Havana for a bit. Then when we went home I found the turnpike and it's tolls. I blew right through one of the express lanes without paying bfore I realized I was in the wrong lane. Never got a ticket but I still ahve my fingers crossed.
The turnpike does sound like the best route.
Again, I really appreciate the help. We are leaving around 5am Staurday

Old 07-06-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
This is very helpful. We drove down last year and got the feeling we were lost when we took 95 to the end. it felt like Little Havana for a bit. Then when we went home I found the turnpike and it's tolls. I blew right through one of the express lanes without paying bfore I realized I was in the wrong lane. Never got a ticket but I still ahve my fingers crossed.
The turnpike does sound like the best route.
Again, I really appreciate the help. We are leaving around 5am Staurday
Staurday? Slow those fingers down and and your driving too, no blowing through the tool booths without paying either...we'll be watching for you this year...LOL

Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM

I just checked the SunPass website to calculate the tolls and they now can take a picture of your plate and you get get billed for whatever tolls you went thru in the past 30 days plus a $2.50 service fee

Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
I was looking for some thoughts about why google maps tells me to get off I95 South at exit 129 and go to the Florida Turnpike to get to the Keys. Why no take 95 South? Has anyone taken these routes?

I appreciate any thoughts
If I go to the keys I take 95 to the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County (SR869 I think) and then take I-75 South the the Homestead Ext of Turnpike. or you can take 95 to just north of Miami and at the Golden Glades Interchange switch to SR 874( I think) and take that to the Homestead Extension. You save on some tolls.

You can take US1 but its like driving Blanding Blvd in Orange Park. Look at a map and there are some Freeway connections to the HEFT off US1 not too far from the end of I-95 if you really want to drive to Mile 0 on I-95 or just want to see the Miami Skyline

Old 07-06-2011, 11:28 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,337 times
The turnpike has much less traffic, many fewer on off ramps and cuts a lot of time from the trip. Get a Sunpass. They are very convenient and you don't have to keep stopping to pay tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville