Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,836 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and i will be relocating to Jacksonville, Florida in september. We are in our 20's, and we will be moving from New Jersey. I will be attending Florida Coastal School of Law and my wife wants to attend Florida State College in Deerwood.

We have been looking at apartments on rent.com and would like to find a nice neighborhood near our schools.

Things we are looking for:

- Safe community
- Walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife
- Cheaper rent because we are students (would like to keep rent below $800)

Which neighborhoods would be good matches for us and what other colleges would you recommend for my wife? Is Florida State College a good option?
We were looking at apartments near Deerwood and Baymeadows.

I will be going down to there on the 21st so i would like to check out a few neighborhoods and any recommendations you guys may offer.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stec04 View Post
Hello, my wife and i will be relocating to Jacksonville, Florida in september. We are in our 20's, and we will be moving from New Jersey. I will be attending Florida Coastal School of Law and my wife wants to attend Florida State College in Deerfield.

We have been looking at apartments on rent.com and would like to find a nice neighborhood near our schools.

Things we are looking for:

- Safe community
- Walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife
- Cheaper rent because we are students

Which neighborhoods would be good matches for us and what other colleges would you recommend for my wife? Is Florida State College a good option?

I will be going down to there on the 21st so i would like to check out a few neighborhoods and any recommendations you guys may offer.

Thanks in advance!!
OK I'm a little lost yes there is a Florida Coastal School of Law here in Jacksonville, and there is a Florida State College (but not in Deerfield) in Jacksonville. There is a Deerfield Beach, Fl. (but its not really near Jacksonville) its down by Ft Lauderdale about 270 miles South of Jacksonville.

As for Florida Coastal School of Law its not really well thought of here or just about anywhere to go by some of the posts about it I have included a link to the FCSL thread you should read...//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...-should-i.html

It looks like FCSL is located between Butler Blvd and Baymeadows Rd, And FSCJ South campus is located out on Beach Blvd so a good starting point would be somewhere around Tinsel Town or St Johns Town Center off of SouthSide Blvd and J.T.Butler Blvd about 1/2 way between the two campus's. I do not really know what you concider cheap as far as rent goes. But as far as Walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife
Both area have that.

Another prime area and one i recomend the most would be the Riverside area, as it has just about everything you are looking for including cheaper rents. Here's a link for rentals in Riverside... jacksonville apts/housing for rent classifieds "riverside" - craigslist

Good Luck and please ask for more info if needed.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,836 times
Sorry about that.. I meant deerwood. Cheap rent would be considered under $800/month. Are there any community colleges in the area?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM

FSCJ used to be a community college(FCCJ) but they say its now a 4 year institution. And the closest campus to that area is South Campus on Beach Blvd, but if she can get into it, she should also check out UNF(University of North Florida) its close by there also. $800 should be no problem around there.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
These condos usually have rentals: The Reserve at James Island (http://www.reservejamesisland.com/ - broken link)

Apartment on Gate Parkway: Village Walk Apartments - Contact Us

Places close to : https://www.facebook.com/StJohnsTownCtr

or anywhere near Tinseltown (which is same road to StJohns Town Center, you will be okay, for shopping, living, are restaurants, 20 minutes to the beach.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
Oh I just reread $800 a month. There are apartments on Southside Boulevard from Baymeadows Road to J. Turner Butler. They are older and probably cost less. They are on the same road as Florida State College at Deerwood.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,181 times
Hey Stec04,

why don't you join us in Facebook? Search for Florida Coastal School of Law: Class of 2014

We have a long list of places that we have been able to lease very close to the school.

See you there!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Did someone say "walking" and Tinsel Town / St. Johns Town Center?

No, these are not "walking" areas at all. Both are built off of highways.

Hypothetically you could walk from an apartment complex to these areas, but you'd be the only one on the side walk.....wait.....are there sidewalks?

There are 3 neighborhoods that have walkable neighborhood commerical districts in Jacksonville: Atlantic/Neptune Beach, Riverside & Avondale Historic Dsitrict, & San Marco.

Don't fool yourself.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Did someone say "walking" and Tinsel Town / St. Johns Town Center?

No, these are not "walking" areas at all. Both are built off of highways.

Hypothetically you could walk from an apartment complex to these areas, but you'd be the only one on the side walk.....wait.....are there sidewalks?

There are 3 neighborhoods that have walkable neighborhood commerical districts in Jacksonville: Atlantic/Neptune Beach, Riverside & Avondale Historic Dsitrict, & San Marco.

Don't fool yourself.
LOL yes fsu813 they have sidewalks now way out thar in Tinsel Town and Town Center also and there are apartment complexes by both of the previously mentioned shopping area's which is really all they are. And I enjoy watchin the young ladies jogging on those same sidewalks...lol

Like you I strongly recommended Riverside for walk ability and cheaper rent (see above post)
"Another prime area and one i recommend the most would be the Riverside area, as it has just about everything you are looking for including cheaper rents. Here's a link for rentals in Riverside...
jacksonville apts/housing for rent classifieds "riverside" - craigslist "

The beaches area would be great also, a new friend of mine from here the disabled vet notsilverman just moved out there to Atlantic Beach, because its a very walkable area and he only has 1 leg and a prosthetic device so it must be walkable. And he had to live by the ocean once he saw it.

San Marco I take exception to being walkable only because there's no supermarket there yet, I know Publix is coming soon, but I have seen that same sign for there for the last 3 years. But other than the grocery store thing I like San Marco a lot. What is the closest supermarket to San Marco? Winn-Dixie on University in Lakewood Plaza?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 AM

134 posts, read 439,530 times
Hi stec04,
Check out my city-date Social Group called "RELOCATING - HELP IN ALL AREAS", it might be helpful to you. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville