Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM

164 posts, read 227,667 times

Advertisements

I think they had lots in wood cross manor or something like that. It was a new section without many homes yet. I was hoping to stay in the 250-275 range but maybe that's not double in Durbin (shrug)

Sent via morse code using my front porch light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger20 View Post
I think they had lots in wood cross manor or something like that. It was a new section without many homes yet. I was hoping to stay in the 250-275 range but maybe that's not double in Durbin (shrug)

Sent via morse code using my front porch light.
You could do that with Richmond American, probably not any other builder in there. There's probably a couple original houses from a few years ago down on the South side that are in that range that are selling.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,578 times
Default Providence or Dream Finders

We are considering a custom build with either Providence or Dream Finders. We read some bad reviews on both sides and now are unsure. We are leading toward Providence because of the Energy Efficiency ratings. Although we like the Wellington floor plan with DF, the reviews show issues with the structure and quality of their homes which is a little scary to me. Any advice?? Please let us know your experience with both companies.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM

285 posts, read 606,127 times
I have seen many models from both builders. Here's the best way to describe the difference...

Providence homes (in my opinion) look like you took a cheap 1200 square foot house, and just enlarged it to 3000 square feet. They are choppy floorplans that don't flow well, very plain features and exteriors, nothing special, just a big plain house.

Dreamfinders homes, on the other hand (in my opinion), look like you took a custom, luxurious 10,000 square foot home and shrunk it down to 3,000 square feet. Their finishing standards are what you'd find in luxury custom builders, the floorplans and exteriors are interesting and balanced, and the feel of the homes are much more spacious and intentional.

As for quality? Don't know, I guess only time will tell. That's my two cents!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4426 View Post
I have seen many models from both builders. Here's the best way to describe the difference...

Providence homes (in my opinion) look like you took a cheap 1200 square foot house, and just enlarged it to 3000 square feet. They are choppy floorplans that don't flow well, very plain features and exteriors, nothing special, just a big plain house.

Dreamfinders homes, on the other hand (in my opinion), look like you took a custom, luxurious 10,000 square foot home and shrunk it down to 3,000 square feet. Their finishing standards are what you'd find in luxury custom builders, the floorplans and exteriors are interesting and balanced, and the feel of the homes are much more spacious and intentional.

As for quality? Don't know, I guess only time will tell. That's my two cents!
I would agree, the DF homes seem to have more unique floorplan designs. Either way several of your neighbors will have the same exact house, its a planned community after all. Pricing is probably about the same although I think Providence offers slightly larger homes at the top end. I've had good experiences with both when we were shopping.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,578 times
Thank you Shannon4426 and Saint Cabbage. I agree with the floor plans and standard features being much better in dream finders. We are just concerned with the quality. And with Providence being 100%Energy Star home, we are also concerned with the energy costs in the larger DF home.....especially after reading some of the reviews about their building practices and leaving holes in insulation, etc. UGH and we feel like we have to make a quick decision before the conservation-backed lots disappear Anyone else who has worked with these builders, we would love more input! Thanks Again!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 AM

85 posts, read 176,572 times
We thought the DF floor plans were too choppy. We went with Providence because of the more open floor plan. I can tell you that our 4500+ sq ft home with a pool running 8 hours a day has a monthly electric bill of $125-$140 depending on if I can get the kids to turn off lights ;-)

Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpiedra View Post
We thought the DF floor plans were too choppy. We went with Providence because of the more open floor plan. I can tell you that our 4500+ sq ft home with a pool running 8 hours a day has a monthly electric bill of $125-$140 depending on if I can get the kids to turn off lights ;-)
I could be a complete dope here, so please correct me if I'm wrong...

Isn't the Energy Star ratings based on the quality, technology/technique, and properties of the building materials? Houses are more energy efficient today compared to homes 20-30 years ago simply based on the evolution of building materials, better sealing windows, more efficient insulation, etc, etc, yes?

Your electricity doesnt actually cost less, you just require less, so running your pool, and turning your lights on would cost exactly the same amount no matter who built your house. It's more about how much your HVAC units have to work based on how much your house requires, again, based on hot/cold air entering the home via poorly sealed windows/walls/insulation.

Am I wrong there?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Default Yes the pro's and Con's

I would agree, the DF homes seem to have more unique floorplan designs. Either way several of your neighbors will have the same exact house, its a planned community after all. Pricing is probably about the same although I think Providence offers slightly larger homes at the top end. I've had good experiences with both when we were shopping.
[quote=jak11;29262223] considering a custom build with either Providence or Dream Finders. There's two sides to the dream, some bad reviews on both sides ..lead to Providence because of the Energy Efficiency ratings. Wellington ? Be cautious .

Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM

85 posts, read 176,572 times
An Energy star rating is based on how energy efficient and green a house is. A house that uses more and better insulation, energy star rated components like A/C, furnace, windows, etc..

Don't take my comments out of context. I wasn't saying running a pool costs more or less, I was giving a real world cost estimate based on real world factors for an Energy Star home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
I could be a complete dope here, so please correct me if I'm wrong...

Isn't the Energy Star ratings based on the quality, technology/technique, and properties of the building materials? Houses are more energy efficient today compared to homes 20-30 years ago simply based on the evolution of building materials, better sealing windows, more efficient insulation, etc, etc, yes?

Your electricity doesnt actually cost less, you just require less, so running your pool, and turning your lights on would cost exactly the same amount no matter who built your house. It's more about how much your HVAC units have to work based on how much your house requires, again, based on hot/cold air entering the home via poorly sealed windows/walls/insulation.

Am I wrong there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville