Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 PM

24 posts, read 52,716 times

Advertisements

First quickly, let me qualify myself... I moved to Jacksonville 20 years ago, was married to a sailor at the time, and except for a few years in South Florida, I have lived here since and am familiar with both St. Augustine and Jax.

Ladies, this town is what you make it when you live here. You have to keep your wits about you... meaning, keep your doors locked (cars and home), don't be walking out at the beach by yourself after dark by yourself, don't cut people off, as you might end up having someone waving a gun back at you. Be aware of your surroundings.... don't walk around talking on your cell phone and total oblivious to what is going on around you. Don't go driving around downtown and the Northside, especially at night and especially if you don't know where you are going.

I've been shopping in the Winn Dixie at Baymeadows and Southside during the day and walking to my car and had an individual I could see from far across the parking lot with his eye on me and was approaching me... I don't know if it was for money, or what, but I kept my eye on him...I even said to him "you saw me coming, didn't you", and kept walking to my car. You just need to be smart and don't let people you don't know approach you and/or stop you...again, I don't know what he wanted, and I didn't give him a chance.

Now, as far as areas go... When I first moved here in the 90's, the Baymeadows area was a nice area. Now, it is okay during the day, and well-lit areas at night as long as you are with someone but I would not want to live in any of the apartments around there such as Villages of Baymeadows and the host of others that are located on Baymeadows on the West side of Southside Boulevard over to Philips Highway and most of those up and down Southside Blvd, and South of Baymeadows Road I would not live in (Paradise Island, Lakeside)

Those areas East of Southside Blvd on Baymeadows Road are okay, because you are in the residential area of the upper-scale area of Deerwood, but I've heard even that area is kind of sketchy right there around the southeast corner of Baymeadows and Southside.

Any of the newer area East of Southside Blvd and between 9A and Beach Blvd (around the Town Center area), and there are some nice places further East on Kernan between Butler and Beach. The places on Gate Parkway and Touchton Blvd both east and west of Southside are all nice, newer places and considered safe. However, they are expensive, unless you can find someone renting out their condo. There are so many in foreclosure with this awful market, that you can find a good deal on a 2 or 3 bedroom in Montreaux or Thornton, Sail Cove or a number of others around that area.

Yes, the places on St. John's Bluff around UNF are older and I would stay away from those.

Stay away from Arlington. East Arlington is okay, and I owned a house there around Girvin, and I wouldn't hesitate living in that area, or the Woods or anywhere around there again. However, Arlington crime has been and continues creeping over to the East Arlington area and another 10 years people will be moving further south and I think East Arlington will be as blighted as Arlington.... just saying and just my opinion, sad as it seems.

Closer to the beaches, I would personally stay in any area of Ponte Vedra or South Jax Beach, but look at Marsh Landing, Remington and I think another is called Ocean Park. Those people in PV pay higher taxes because of their expensive properties and they want safe areas, and they get it.

Bottom line ladies, as I said earlier, just be careful and you will be fine here. Jax has so much to offer and I've lived in Tampa and Melbourne, and Jax is no more "redneck" than any other areas in the South and Jax just keeps getting better and better. There are always going to be those people that have nothing better to do than drive around and break into people's cars, that can happen anywhere.

It is as diverse as it is large here in Duval County and you will meet a lot of nice people here that will extend their southern hospitality to you...and I am a Yankee, so I know what I'm talking about! But I guess I'm a damn Yankee now, since I moved here and stayed!

On a final note, you cannot beat the barbeque (they are all my fav), Joe's Crab Shack, Cha Cha's Mexican (for cheap good Mexican food), the Ale House, Daruma's, 7 Bridges, PF Changs.....and I was away for about the last 5 years and so much has built up since then. I am looking forward to trying out all of the new places that have popped up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houdinis mom View Post
First quickly, let me qualify myself... I moved to Jacksonville 20 years ago, was married to a sailor at the time, and except for a few years in South Florida, I have lived here since and am familiar with both St. Augustine and Jax.

Ladies, this town is what you make it when you live here. You have to keep your wits about you... meaning, keep your doors locked (cars and home), don't be walking out at the beach by yourself after dark by yourself, don't cut people off, as you might end up having someone waving a gun back at you. Be aware of your surroundings.... don't walk around talking on your cell phone and total oblivious to what is going on around you. Don't go driving around downtown and the Northside, especially at night and especially if you don't know where you are going.

I've been shopping in the Winn Dixie at Baymeadows and Southside during the day and walking to my car and had an individual I could see from far across the parking lot with his eye on me and was approaching me... I don't know if it was for money, or what, but I kept my eye on him...I even said to him "you saw me coming, didn't you", and kept walking to my car. You just need to be smart and don't let people you don't know approach you and/or stop you...again, I don't know what he wanted, and I didn't give him a chance.

Now, as far as areas go... When I first moved here in the 90's, the Baymeadows area was a nice area. Now, it is okay during the day, and well-lit areas at night as long as you are with someone but I would not want to live in any of the apartments around there such as Villages of Baymeadows and the host of others that are located on Baymeadows on the West side of Southside Boulevard over to Philips Highway and most of those up and down Southside Blvd, and South of Baymeadows Road I would not live in (Paradise Island, Lakeside)

Those areas East of Southside Blvd on Baymeadows Road are okay, because you are in the residential area of the upper-scale area of Deerwood, but I've heard even that area is kind of sketchy right there around the southeast corner of Baymeadows and Southside.

Any of the newer area East of Southside Blvd and between 9A and Beach Blvd (around the Town Center area), and there are some nice places further East on Kernan between Butler and Beach. The places on Gate Parkway and Touchton Blvd both east and west of Southside are all nice, newer places and considered safe. However, they are expensive, unless you can find someone renting out their condo. There are so many in foreclosure with this awful market, that you can find a good deal on a 2 or 3 bedroom in Montreaux or Thornton, Sail Cove or a number of others around that area.

Yes, the places on St. John's Bluff around UNF are older and I would stay away from those.

Stay away from Arlington. East Arlington is okay, and I owned a house there around Girvin, and I wouldn't hesitate living in that area, or the Woods or anywhere around there again. However, Arlington crime has been and continues creeping over to the East Arlington area and another 10 years people will be moving further south and I think East Arlington will be as blighted as Arlington.... just saying and just my opinion, sad as it seems.

Closer to the beaches, I would personally stay in any area of Ponte Vedra or South Jax Beach, but look at Marsh Landing, Remington and I think another is called Ocean Park. Those people in PV pay higher taxes because of their expensive properties and they want safe areas, and they get it.

Bottom line ladies, as I said earlier, just be careful and you will be fine here. Jax has so much to offer and I've lived in Tampa and Melbourne, and Jax is no more "redneck" than any other areas in the South and Jax just keeps getting better and better. There are always going to be those people that have nothing better to do than drive around and break into people's cars, that can happen anywhere.

It is as diverse as it is large here in Duval County and you will meet a lot of nice people here that will extend their southern hospitality to you...and I am a Yankee, so I know what I'm talking about! But I guess I'm a damn Yankee now, since I moved here and stayed!

On a final note, you cannot beat the barbeque (they are all my fav), Joe's Crab Shack, Cha Cha's Mexican (for cheap good Mexican food), the Ale House, Daruma's, 7 Bridges, PF Changs.....and I was away for about the last 5 years and so much has built up since then. I am looking forward to trying out all of the new places that have popped up.
Great post well thought out, succinct and to the point. WELL SAID! Kudo's, rep points awarded. And like I have said before Be Aware and Pay Attention and you will be just fine. Don't do stupid thing that put yourself at risk. Your safety depends on your smarts!

as for the BBQ try Shanes Rib Shack on Beach Blvd near Hodges it's real good.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:24 AM

24 posts, read 52,716 times
Never tried them...but I will! Thanks!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdinis mom View Post
Never tried them...but I will! Thanks!
Really good ribs n sides not much in the atmoshere area but the ribs are great if u want my best BBQ place ever DM me. as I dont share it in public...its a secret but my wife even loves it an shes not a BBQ fan

Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,418 times
I've said for the longest that Southside has pockets of ghetto but some folk on this forum still parade the Southside as being safe to live. As the poster pointed out, Southside/Baymeadows area and other portions of Southside are just as bad on the crime front as Northside. Restaurant wise, we're getting there. I'm more of an independent restaurant connoisseur

Old 07-24-2011, 02:09 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
Have lived here for 2 1/2 years and have NEVER heard of any crime reports on the local news in our area just past the Avenues Mall on Southside headed towards Baymeadows!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have lived here for 2 1/2 years and have NEVER heard of any crime reports on the local news in our area just past the Avenues Mall on Southside headed towards Baymeadows!
Your kidding! ... right? Turn the sound up on the TV/radio then. Like Northside904 said there's crime all over the city. Don't believe it just check out the Sheriffs office own COJ web site ''Welcome to JSO Crime Stats'' its an interactive map that lists criminal activity in all area's of Jacksonville just hit accept and your in. Then you put the circle on an area of interest and click and "POOF" instant statistics. Here's the link ...
JSO | Jacksonville Sheriffs Office Disclamer (http://maps.coj.net/crimestatsdiscl.asp - broken link)

Ya gotta love how a COJ website misspelled the word Disclaimer in its web address. AHHHH the Bold New City of the South.
NEVER SAY NEVER

Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Very thoughtful post.

Madcap- I find that crime mapping site to be unweildy. I can't figure it out.

Loveboating, I think you have a false sense of security about where you live. When I visited relatives in May, I was told about the rape of a jogger near my home at Lake Mandarin. A "safe" area. I've Googled and tried to find info about it, but I guess it didn't rise to the level of news.

I would add to the OP that obtaining a carry permit and purchasing a gun is a good thing in Jax. A JSO officer advised me to do so when I lived there. It flabbergasted my family, as I have never been a gun person. But I got one, I became a good shot and I was ready to use it. I've never known more crime than in Mandarin. Property crime to my neighbors, attempted break ins to my home, car thefts from our guest parking. I wasn't worried about having my stuff taken, but freaked that it would be by a teenager with a handgun that would do something stupid out of fear. "We don't prevent crime, we're responders. We secretly like it when we come to a crime scene and find the bad guy laying on the ground." Will never forget that quote by a JSO officer. Got my S&W and took the gun course within a month of that convo.

Be aware and be able to protect yourself until law enforcement shows up. Then you are good to go.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:14 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
I've said for the longest that Southside has pockets of ghetto but some folk on this forum still parade the Southside as being safe to live. As the poster pointed out, Southside/Baymeadows area and other portions of Southside are just as bad on the crime front as Northside. Restaurant wise, we're getting there. I'm more of an independent restaurant connoisseur
Yea The Southside does have some slummy areas. Justina & Atlantic Beach are probably the worst. I remember when Caravan & Pottsburg was where all the danger was....now its all over Arlington & Baymeadows.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
Hey, that website is very cool and easier than I thought to use!
Now, I have to say "I give, I give". In the last 6 months there has been crime in our area, but not murders, shootings or any real serious stuff. Anyway, some folks think "serious or not, crime is crime". We don't hear JSO helicopters overhead or sirens blaring part of the night, so that is good. What we mostly hear is JFRD Rescue Ambulance. Now, the area of Old Baymeadows Road (by the college) is very different, but we'd already been told about that area. Other areas, that we've been told are: Beach Blvd north of 9A, Atlantic Blvd north of 9A and the Regency area. Along JTB seems to be fine as well. But, as far as major crime w/media coverage, not in our area.......that we know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville