Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 PM

410 posts, read 602,821 times

Advertisements

At St. John's Town Center.

I'm sure this is just another "landlord dispute" like Dick's at Nocatee.

Whisky River closes abruptly at Markets at Town Center | members.jacksonville.com

Moderators please do not delete this thread. The public has the right to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
Why someone I would choose to go out at night to a generic mall is beyond me.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:48 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Where will Matt Shirk find new employees ?

And fsu813 - I'm not sure what you mean by "generic". One meaning is "not having a brand name" .

As for Whiskey River - although it wasn't my cup of tea - and it wasn't *in* the Town Center - it it's not part of a big chain. It was one of a small group of restaurants owned by Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

Not that there's anything wrong with being part of a big chain. I judge a restaurant by its food - its service - its ambiance and its consistency. When I apply those 3 criteria - Seasons 52 is better than about 75% of the "indie" restaurants at similar price points I've dined at in the JAX area (many since gone or long gone). Of course - I have my quirks. I don't like food where salt is the main flavor - and I don't require massive portions to make me happy. Apparently many people in JAX do need those mega doses of salt and those massive portions to make them happy (judging from reviews I read about various places on various websites).

Of course - there are some some good "indie" restaurants here too. Ones I've been to recently that I like are Black Sheep - Azurea - and the new Moxie Kitchen & Cocktails. In 3 totally different parts of town. IMO - the part of town where a restaurant is located doesn't have much to do with whether it is or isn't a good restaurant (at most - location is a factor in terms of how easy it is to get a parking space - and how far away it is for any particular diner). Robyn

Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Was never a fan of the place (the food or the crowds), but I still went there about a dozen times for various events. Have to say the staff was always great though. Very friendly and easy to work with (when I planned events there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Why someone I would choose to go out at night to a generic mall is beyond me.
you're really obsessed and it ruins your judgment. And a better question would be why someone would put a club/entertainment venue/performance venue in a generic mall. People will go where a place is popular...and Jax has more than it's share of big dance clubs that are isolated in the middle of a strip mall. Whisky River's location is much better "synergized" than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Where will Matt Shirk find new employees ?
LOL! Didn't know about the connection. Had to google it.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Well you - like Angela Corey - must not read the papers (that's what Angela Corey said to the papers this week - that she didn't read them ). Whiskey River got a lot of mentions when the FTU was reporting the Matt Shirk story. Guess it disproves the rule that any publicity is better than no publicity.

As for restaurant and similar locations - I think they depend in part on the nature of establishment. A lot of dance clubs are probably in "out of the way" places because they tend to be noisy - especially late at night - and don't want to spend a lot of time dealing with disgruntled neighbors.

And some restaurants that want to attract lunch crowds and people stopping for drinks after work will locate in areas where lots of people work. And offer conveniences like decent parking lots. Seven Bridges is a restaurant like that - it's almost always very busy during the week at lunch.

Then again - certain areas can be the victim of their own success. Last time we were in Avondale for lunch on a weekday - it was almost impossible to find a parking space (we have a handicap sticker but our guest didn't - and he was about 15 minutes late because he couldn't find a parking space). Robyn

Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

you're really obsessed and it ruins your judgment. And a better question would be why someone would put a club/entertainment venue/performance venue in a generic mall. People will go where a place is popular...and Jax has more than it's share of big dance clubs that are isolated in the middle of a strip mall. Whisky River's location is much better "synergized" than that.
My judgment is fine....I don't understand the draw to malls, other than necessity or proximity.

I think most people don't really care or get caught up things like civic engagement, current events, design, supporting local, authenticity, etc. A smaller portion of the population does. Bigger in some cities, relatively small in Jax due to the culture. So yes, there are plenty of strip mall clubs, bars, etc in Jax....and I don't understand why people are drawn to them.

That's Jax culture for ya.

As far as synergy goes, over a year ago, WR was across from a Baby's R Us or something, a mall parking lot, a marine/boating big box store, and another restaurant. Blah.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
...As far as synergy goes, over a year ago, WR was across from a Baby's R Us or something, a mall parking lot, a marine/boating big box store, and another restaurant. Blah.
That area is close to tons of large office buildings where lots of people work. So dining/drinking places have a built-in audience of people going to lunch - having drinks/light food after work - early dinners - etc. Also - a lot of people live in that area - which ---> a built-in audience of people going out to dinner. Robyn

Old 01-23-2014, 09:10 AM

I was referring to what was immediatly around it.

Not the general area.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Quote:
My judgment is fine....I don't understand the draw to malls, other than necessity or proximity.

I think most people don't really care or get caught up things like civic engagement, current events, design, supporting local, authenticity, etc. A smaller portion of the population does. Bigger in some cities, relatively small in Jax due to the culture. So yes, there are plenty of strip mall clubs, bars, etc in Jax....and I don't understand why people are drawn to them.

That's Jax culture for ya.
I questioned your judgment because of your odd reasoning that still misses the point. Why do you wonder why someone goes to a place that they enjoy? You go to places you enjoy...I assume...as most people would do. The much better question is why do these destinations choose to be where they are. Unless you're telling me that the most important draw for you is the location, and that an establishment in downtown...whether it's food or drinks or music...is inherently better than one on the southside.

I'm with you in preferring to see the urban core succeed, but I wouldn't blindly favor a crappy restaurant with poor service and ambiance just because it's downtown or ignore an excellent one that isn't.

Quote:
As far as synergy goes, over a year ago, WR was across from a Baby's R Us or something, a mall parking lot, a marine/boating big box store, and another restaurant. Blah.
And now? A couple dozen of the highest-grossing restaurants per square feet in the southeastern US. The first Nordstroms in the region. An upscale apartment complex. And a parking garage yay! That area you just described sold for $135 million 6 months ago. There must be a reason for that.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Why do you wonder why someone goes to a place that they enjoy?

Because I don't understand why someone would enjoy X at a venue that doesn't support best practices, civic engagement, good design, authenticity, the local economy, etc unless it's in close proximity to where they live or it's the only place in town to enjoy X.

But, as I said, obviously many (most) people don't especially care about those things.

And now?

The synergy I was referring to is not what various stores there are in the mall, but about what's in easy walking distance. Ie, across the street/parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville