Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM

163 posts, read 449,802 times

Advertisements

The Dodgers, Blue Jays and Marlins have all in the past talked to the Suns and their owners, the Bragan family, about moving up to AAA. Not only do we set attendance records every year at the AA level, but our city is way to big to be playing at the AA level. We play against towns like Zephyr NC, Jackson TN, Pearl MS, etc.

Jacksonville is the current AA affiliate of the Marlins while New Orleans is the AAA affiliate.

New Orleans population:
City: 343,829
Metro: 1,235,650

Jacksonville:
City: 821,784
Metro: 1,525,228

Before you say "Well thats due to Katrina". It doesnt matter, minor league clubs change teams every year for almost no reason at all.

Theres one reason and one reason only we dont move up, and thats MONEY. At the AAA level you'll play teams across the country, so you have to pay for the players to fly. The Bragans want to make as much money as possible and paying for airplane tickets would take money out of their pockets. Its sad, but absolutely true. They are already millionaires and their greed is holding back Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,304 times
it is a business, if it makes more business sense for them to be AA, then that is their right. If you don't like it, don't purchase the product provided.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM

530 posts, read 1,351,007 times
I am a huge baseball fan. However I don't think a AA team is holding us back as a city. AAA vs AA , either one means this is not a big league town. I do find the baseball park here to be a much better sporting venue then the twisted peice of metal and concrete the NFL plays in down the street. A lot of times you will see better talent at the AA level then AAA anyway. I know it is a fantasy, but I would love the see the Rays leave Tampa and come up here, as that awful dome is joke.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM

I thought Tampa was building a new ballpark?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:08 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
The Dodgers, Blue Jays and Marlins have all in the past talked to the Suns and their owners, the Bragan family, about moving up to AAA. Not only do we set attendance records every year at the AA level, but our city is way to big to be playing at the AA level. We play against towns like Zephyr NC, Jackson TN, Pearl MS, etc.

Jacksonville is the current AA affiliate of the Marlins while New Orleans is the AAA affiliate.

New Orleans population:
City: 343,829
Metro: 1,235,650

Jacksonville:
City: 821,784
Metro: 1,525,228

Before you say "Well thats due to Katrina". It doesnt matter, minor league clubs change teams every year for almost no reason at all.

Theres one reason and one reason only we dont move up, and thats MONEY. At the AAA level you'll play teams across the country, so you have to pay for the players to fly. The Bragans want to make as much money as possible and paying for airplane tickets would take money out of their pockets. Its sad, but absolutely true. They are already millionaires and their greed is holding back Jacksonville.
The Bragans are repubs man...conservative southern repubs from Alabama.....do the math. I love the Suns as a team, but in a way the ownership & local media holds them back from having a bigger fan base. Jacksonville and the State of Florida does not need another MLB team. The Suns could be one of the biggest minor league teams in the US...that is a lane only few teams can claim...Durham Bulls & Lake Elsinore Storm is probably the most popular. Jax could easily pass them with the right ideas. Gotta the respect the Bragans for trying to cash in, but where is the progress? Why not buy their own Jets and get a hanger at Craig or JIA?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
it is a business, if it makes more business sense for them to be AA, then that is their right. If you don't like it, don't purchase the product provided.
wow smh.....

Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
A lot of times you will see better talent at the AA level then AAA anyway.
This is very true!! The AA players are younger & more hungry. The AAA players are either old guys or in rehab. Thats a good point.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
wow smh.....
what does "smh" fecking mean? I'm assuming you disagree.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,505,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
what does "smh" fecking mean? I'm assuming you disagree.
SMH = Shaking My Head
or maybe slapping my head

Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM

gotcha, wonder why? The people labeled own the business. If they think they can make more money in AA, why should they move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville