Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

We are a retired couple considering retiring to FL and these two cities are under consideration. We have visited the Sarasota/ Port Charlotte area and very much enjoyed the easy, not rough boating and inshore fishing.

Does St Augustine have similar fishing and boating, or are the seas rougher (as is true with some of the east coast areas)?

I have also been told that the NE of Florida will be colder in the winter, but that the humid season of the summer will be shorter. Perhaps 4-5 months vs 6-7 months. Is that possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
IMO:
These are actually 2 totally different types of cities one (Sarasota) being a place where thousands of older people go to retire in. And the other (St Augustine) being a place where thousands of older people go to see historical sights in Americas oldest city, along with thousands and thousands of other aged people also.

As for the fishing, its true that offshore St Augustine(SA) can get rougher than offshore Sarasota(SARA) mainly due to the fact when you get offshore in SA your in the Atlantic ocean not just the Gulf of Mexico. Inshore fishing on both coasts is about the same as far as rough water goes, and is just as good in both areas for some of the same species(although the Snook fishing in SARA is better, due to warmer water) In Sara you can do just about all your fishing inshore and offshore with a Flats/Bay type boat, where in SA you will need a offshore capable boat if you want to go offshore on days that have 4'-6' seas But a good bay boat should suffice on most days. I use a 35' Donzi but I don't fish inshore at all.

The weather will be a little cooler at just about all times in SA during the summer, fall, winter or spring, mainly due to the constant on shore breeze.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
Having lived in boh I feel qualified to add to agree and add to the above.
Sarasota has no character at all and anything of age is knocked down and replaced.
Yes the sea is calmer and warmer but againts that we have seasons can escape to the Georgia hills whereas it is always hot and humid in Sarasota and a long way from anywhere.
Most important the costs of housing is far less here.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Sarasota has no character at all and anything of age is knocked down and replaced.
Yes the sea is calmer and warmer but againts that we have seasons can escape to the Georgia hills whereas it is always hot and humid in Sarasota and a long way from anywhere.
While I have never lived in Sarasota, I have fished extensively there extensively. Most notably in Sarasota Bay, Roberts Bay, Palma Sola Bay north of Sarasota and off Sarasota in the Gulf of Mexico. The main thing that struck me about Sarasota besides the oppressive heat, was the feeling of being in a cookie cutter type town, where just about everything looked like everything else. And I also believe that real estate is less expensive in St Augustine especially close to the beach, compared to Sarasota.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
The two areas are very different. If you talk to Gulf Coast people, they are going to say the Gulf Coast is more pleasant. if you talk to east coast people they will vote for the east coast. In order to make a good decision, I would suggest taking your time and spending several weeks in both areas. Don't do the tourist thing, but live real life in those visits. Stay in a condo, go to the grocery stores, shopping, to church, socail clubs, talk to real people who live there. If you love to fish, spend time fishing with the locals. Spend a day with a realtor looking at the housing market realistically. Climate is factual. Look at the historical temps over the period of several years. St. Augustine is not as hot and humid as Sarasota. The southwest Gulf Coast is more likely to get slammed with a hurricane than the northeast coast. Cost of living is factual. Sarasota is much more expensive than St. Augustine. Your should experience the lifestyle yourself in order to try to find out which area works for you the best. That being said, I believe the some of the nicest, most giving people in the world live in St. Augustine. I have lived here the last 12 years having retired here from Michigan. I get up each morning and am very thankful for finding this fabulous place to live that is unlike anywhere else. We have a wide range of housing, beautiful unspoiled beaches, a beautiful unique downtown, award winning hospital, A+ public schools, great houses of worship, numerous ongoing cultural activities, a wonderful private college and proximity to good fishing, airports, Amtrack and the interstate highway system. I hope when you choose your retirement destination that you will be as happy as I am. Best wishes in your search.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,185 times
I grew up in Sarasota from 1964 and moved in 1998 we now live in St Augustine for the past 3yrs (moved from Jax). I tell people St Augustine is like Sarasota was 30 yrs ago, tourists, quaint small town, fishing and beach life is tops, the attitude of people around here is similar to what you find in the keys, friendly. It has Flagler college which brings in a mix of culture that is good. The winters are colder by 10 to 15 degrees (I remember snow in Sarasota in 1989), a LOT LESS TRAFFIC here than there, less people.

Sarasota got big and snobby, and I have to agree with statement above, they demolished everything old and built new, which is sad, when I left there was 2 classes of people workers and retirees. Shopping is more upscale in Sarasota, bigger variety of food. The cost of property is more the closer you get to the water in Sarasota vs. St Augustine, but the housing bubble hit there a lot worse than St Augustine due to speculators.

I have spent some time in The Villages west of Orlando, this is a planned community for retirees it is Disney for over 55+ plenty of golf and activities, safe and happy hours everywhere.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:09 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
If anything can be said in favor of Sarasota it would have to be the hub of visual and performing arts in Florida. Otherwise I agree with everything else said in preference to SA.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM

22 posts, read 47,901 times
Another pro-St. Aug post. I lived there for 7 years, and my retired mom has lived there 12 years now. It is a wonderful community. Very close community that welcomes newcomers. Sarasota does not even remotely compare in this regard. St. Augustine is a small, close-knit community, with friendly neighbors. Sarasota is a small portion of the homogenous west coast metropolis - It's like a pastel suburbia that goes on and on forever. It's hard to tell when you're out of sara, in bradenton, then fort myers, cape coral...it's all the same in my opinion. And you won't know your neighbors, as most of the houses are empty after the housing bust, which hit Sarasota harder than any city in the country. In both places there's plenty to do. Fishing is great in St. Aug., but can't compare this to Sarasota; never fished there. If you don't like the waves, there's great fishing in the Intracoastal waterways, and the St. Johns River isn't far- fantastic fishing in this brackish water. If you like golf it's world renowned for this. PGA is headquartered here, and Sawgrass is just up the road a bit in Ponte Vedra, and the Golf Hall of fame is there too. Man I miss St. Auggie when I start talking about it...especially during the winters up here in Iowa...

Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Pros and cons to both areas, it really depends on what one is looking for and who you ask. Here is another thread where this was discussed at length for several pages, just for more insight and opinions:

//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...augustine.html

Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Oh, come on Peter! "Sarasota has no character at all..."? What is happening in St. Augustine with regard to the arts, the ballet, the theater? What is happening in St. Augustine with regard to dining and restaurants? Granted, I hail from the Philadelphia area, so I am still adjusting my palate to the (lacking) "Florida dining scene" however I spent 4 days in St. Augustine and if you prefer a VERY slow pace and touring historical sites (been there, done that...) after that what's left? Gulf Coast beaches are far superior, IMO. St. Augustine is good for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...Very tourist oriented...Anyway, each to his own taste...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville