Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,583 times

Advertisements

I hope somebody will be able to answer most of our questions about living near Jacksonville.
We currently live in the piedmont of NC. My husband has been promoted and we will be coming to the Jacksonville area. We have no idea about life or living costs in and around Jax. So it is challenging for us to calculate.
1. We currently own a 3bedroom 2 bath house with a nice 1 acre yard. (We also have 2 dogs that are 6 and 3 years old.)
2. We have a tenth grader. What area has a great high school ? Academics and the football program are important to us, as well as, safety.
3. How much would federal tax (and etc) take from salary, counting with dependents - wife and one child?
4. Do you have any idea, if food, clothing, utilities, would be cheaper in Jax. too?
Somewhere I read, that we could have up to 30% less income in Florida and keep the same living standard as in NC? Any truth to that? Thank you for any help, opinions, or suggestions of cities or areas near Jacksonville that may be a good fit for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:23 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
1. We currently own a 3bedroom 2 bath house with a nice 1 acre yard. (We also have 2 dogs that are 6 and 3 years old.)
Are you planning to rent or buy? You might have a little difficulty renting with two dogs. So start looking early.

Quote:
2. We have a tenth grader. What area has a great high school ? Academics and the football program are important to us, as well as, safety.
St. Johns County. Creekside High School, Bartram Trail High School, Nease High School, or Ponte Vedra High School.

There are so many neighborhoods...Julington Creek, Durbin Crossing, Nocatee, ....... Lots to choose from. We live in Julington Creek and love it!

Quote:
3. How much would federal tax (and etc) take from salary, counting with dependents - wife and one child?
I have no idea on this one.

Quote:
4. Do you have any idea, if food, clothing, utilities, would be cheaper in Jax. too?
Everything seems really, really cheap to me. But we moved from the D.C. area where everything is insanely expensive. Compared to everywhere else we've lived, including Raleigh, NC, the cost of living in this area seems really low.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Location: San Francisco area for just a little longer ..... maybe?
24 posts, read 37,303 times
Quote:How much would federal tax (and etc) take from salary, counting with dependents - wife and one child?

[quote=mississippimagnolia;20734245]
I have no idea on this one. [quote]

Would not Federal Tax be same in both NC. and FL. Just no state tax in FL. right?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
[quote=my mother dresses me funy;20734772]Quote:How much would federal tax (and etc) take from salary, counting with dependents - wife and one child?

[quote=mississippimagnolia;20734245]
I have no idea on this one.
Quote:

Would not Federal Tax be same in both NC. and FL. Just no state tax in FL. right?
Right. Federal Tax is Federal Tax. And right - no FL state income tax.

Depending on location, and presuming you're talking about buying, you could pay anywhere from $150,000 (or less) to $400,000 (or more).
BIGGEST FACTOR - job location which determines your commute which determines where you should start looking.

To get an idea of what public school have a good football program, you could google high school football in Duval, Clay, Nassau, St. Johns counties. Academically there are great schools and not-so-great schools in all those counties.

Somewhere I read, that we could have up to 30% less income in Florida and keep the same living standard as in NC? Any truth to that? Thank you for any help, opinions, or suggestions of cities or areas near Jacksonville that may be a good fit for us.

We came from PA and it was supposed to be about 10% less to live here at our same standard. But we've found it's about the same. Real estate taxes are a little less here, fees for some things (like car registration) are higher, and I think food and clothing are a bit more. And we pay more sales tax overall because just about everything except basic food is taxed. I don't think, but I could be wrong and it's just my opinion, that a 30% less salary would not give you the same standard of living you currently have in NC.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Thanks for your reply ! I have looked into Julington Creek area and Creekside High. I've liked several things I've seen. But also looked at out toward west side at Baldwin area. I'm guessing the areas are totally dirrerent. Any truth to that ? We are coming from a small 2-A school, with the population so concentrated around Jax, I realize we might have a more crowded area. -- We are looking to rent at first. I kind of think it would be wise to get comfortable with an area first.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Thanks for responding ! I do understand the great and not so great school comments. It's wild how different they can be. -- He's actually gonna have a better salary with promotion, but I'll have to start looking when we get settled. --The car fees are high. I do agree with that ! And we have a couple with my son also driving. -- Any other fees or thoughts on things that I might overlook on converting to Florida resident ?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boling View Post
Thanks for your reply ! I have looked into Julington Creek area and Creekside High. I've liked several things I've seen. But also looked at out toward west side at Baldwin area. I'm guessing the areas are totally dirrerent. Any truth to that ? We are coming from a small 2-A school, with the population so concentrated around Jax, I realize we might have a more crowded area. -- We are looking to rent at first. I kind of think it would be wise to get comfortable with an area first.
Julington Creek is very suburban and Baldwin is very country. I am not real sure on what type of home your looking to rent, or in what kind of neighborhood. But your probably going to locate it easier in Julington Creek. Most neighborhoods in Baldwin are close to town and consist of tract housing or mobile homes. Real nice homes are usually found on fair size lots of 3-5 Acres and above and its usually an intermixed group of frame/CB/ brick homes and trailers. I live about 5 miles north east of Baldwin on a large lot.(my closest neighbor is over a mile away) I have never lived in Julington Creek but I have been through there numerous times. Baldwin elementary and high school are OK, rated average for Jacksonville. But all I hear in here is how all St Johns county schools are just fantastic. I don't know, again I have never been to one or sent my kids to any of them. I think even if I lived down there I still would have sent my kids to private schools as I did here. And Bolles is a lot closer to Julington Creek than it is to Baldwin. I know of 3 properties with nice houses on at least an acre of land for sale and 2 of them are on US-90 the main street that goes through Baldwin.
I would suggest MacClenny before Baldwin as a nice area to move to, and its only 9 miles west of Baldwin. Both Baldwin and MacClenny have good football programs. But its to early in the season to tell how good yet.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply ! I have looked into Julington Creek area and Creekside High. I've liked several things I've seen.
I had a child graduate from Creekside High School last year, and I have a senior and a sophomore there now. I would be happy to answer any questions. We absolute love the school!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM

82 posts, read 167,283 times
Hello, It's RB, new name... Thanks for your reply ! I will be back shortly, I hope you will be on line .

Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 AM

82 posts, read 167,283 times
Good morning. So much to do and learn ! We've lived in same NC county forever, never moved out of county. Lived in the same house for 20 years. So much stuff. I also read that you had lived in DC and with a couple of children, you have experienced what I'm geting ready to. Oh my goodness! I'm glad flea markets are popular here, I expect that I'll be a saturday morning regular seller for a couple of weeks. I do like the schools in your area and and the things I've seen about JC. . . Any suggestions about-first things first- and how to prepare for moving to your surrounding area? My son has never changed schools, any differences that you might think of that I should prepare him for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville