Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 18,462 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Florida. Is there an Air Force Base in Jacksonville? If so, where exactly is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
No. There are 2 NAVY bases. NAS JAX and NAS Mayport. The only air force base in Florida that I know of in McDill AFB in Tampa.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
No. There are 2 NAVY bases. NAS JAX and NAS Mayport. The only air force base in Florida that I know of in McDill AFB in Tampa.

Air Force Bases (5)

[SIZE=5]Eglin AFB[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Valparaiso[/SIZE]
Eglin AFB is operated by Air Force Materiel Command and located in Valparaiso, Florida. The air base...
[SIZE=5]Hurlburt Field[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Mary Esther[/SIZE]
Hurlburt Field is located in Okaloosa County, near Mary Esther, Florida. It serves as a support air ...
[SIZE=5]MacDill AFB[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Tampa[/SIZE]
MacDill AFB is operated by Air Mobility Command and located in Tampa, Florida. It was established in...
[SIZE=5]Patrick AFB[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Brevard[/SIZE]
Patrick AFB is operated by Air Force Space Command and located in Brevard County, Florida. It is hom...
[SIZE=5]Tyndall AFB[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Panama City[/SIZE]
Tyndall AFB is part of Air Education Training and Command near Panama City, Florida. It is home to t...

Old 09-05-2011, 12:33 PM

163 posts, read 449,759 times
There is an Air National Guard Base on the opposite side of Jacksonville International Airport. No commissary or exchange though. NAS JAX and Mayport are your only bet.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
I believe the closest Air Force Base to Jacksonville, would be Moody AFB in Valdosta Georgia. That's if it is still open and active, I haven't been up there in years.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalecia View Post
I am considering a move to Florida. Is there an Air Force Base in Jacksonville? If so, where exactly is it?
Since you're being so vague I'll also mention Cecil Field. It's a former NAS that shut down about a decade ago but still serves the military in a number of capacities. The Army National Guard's aviation support facility, the US Coast Guard's Helicopter Squadron, and Northrup Grumman and Boeing all have facilities there for the military. My buddy works for the defense department, specializing in aerospace stuff and his office is at Cecil.

Cecil Field is also a licensed commercial spaceport. It's located on the far westside of town, about 15 miles west of NAS Jax

Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 AM

10 posts, read 44,817 times
The Panhandle of Florida has Tyndall AFB in Panama City and farther west in the panhandle is Eglin AFB and Hurlburt Field Florida. Farther south on the west coast is MacDill AFB in Tampa and Patrick AFB base is on the East coast near Coco Beach. Moody AFB is near Valdosta, Georgia. Good Luck!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I believe the closest Air Force Base to Jacksonville, would be Moody AFB in Valdosta Georgia. That's if it is still open and active, I haven't been up there in years.
Moody in Valdosta is technically still open, but it's a ghost town compared to what it was. There is AFB's in Tampa (MacDill) and 2 in the Panhandle (Eglin and Tyndall), and an ARB in Homestead, which was an active base until Hurricane Andrew destroyed most of it and they never re-built the facilities and turned it into an ARB. And there used to be an AFB in Orlando (McCoy), it closed in the 70's.

There was never one in Jacksonville, but they used to have 3 in Mayport, NAS Jax and Cecil Field. Cecil Field was closed in the 90's.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:04 AM

213 posts, read 422,167 times
Isn't the Air National Guard a part of the USAF? KJAX does have a FANG base off of rnwy 14-23. There the ones with the F-15's.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:18 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
I also forgot Patrick Air Force Base near Cape Canaveral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville