Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City Data ranks Jacksonville FL
Jacksonville is a great city, yes I would live there. 38 37.25%
Jacksonville is a terrible city, I would never live there. 20 19.61%
Jacksonville is pretty much middle of the pack, nothing special. 37 36.27%
I have no opinion of Jacksonville, not sure where it is exactly. 7 6.86%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 AM

23 posts, read 44,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
What is the point of this post? What do you expect to achieve with this silly poll? So far you have responses from Atlanta, Wash DC, Houston, Miami and Chicago, all taking turns to bash the city of Jacksonville from outside. All dripping with hate.

What you don't seem to understand is that the ones who live here and love this city don't come on City Data to rave about it. It is always the ones who take pleasure in bashing. So this poll serves no other purpose except to give the bashers a mouthpiece.

Now excuse me while I write to "Home and Garden" to tell how much I love my home.
I live in Jacksonville, and cant stand it. I'm also an outsider, and this was the biggest mistake of my life. But with every place in the USA (only USA) you have a ghetto. This is due to a lack of social assistance for the people on the bottom. Travel the world, you'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,467,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBosnian View Post
I live in Jacksonville, and cant stand it. I'm also an outsider, and this was the biggest mistake of my life. But with every place in the USA (only USA) you have a ghetto. This is due to a lack of social assistance for the people on the bottom. Travel the world, you'll see.
Then leave there's nothing holding you here. We could actually do without another I hate Jax whiner here, as they are the main ones that make Jax unbearable with their constant bichin and moaning, about a place they chose to live in, mistake or not. Just leave and don't let the screen door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

BTW ... the word ghetto originated in Venice. It was used as a term where the Jews lived. At the time, the Jews were confined to stay in a certain area. It is not even an American word. It's European/Jewish.

in America Ghetto is a slang term that is used to describe something that is uneducated or in rough condition. This word is commonly used to refer to a particular race with prejudice.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,480,428 times
Yea, I've never seen a ghetto outside the USA

Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Most! Not all, inner city area's in 3rd world countries would be considered ghetto in the USA.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,718,232 times
Quote:
I have lived all over the world, I'm first generation American, and I think Jacksonville is the lowest place ever. I just wish the USA would catch up and become as great as Germany.
Whenever I think compassionately of certain people whose parents immigrated from certain parts of the world who, were it not for the intervention of this country and the UN, would have been exterminated, some fool says something that makes me rethink the way I feel. It is okay to criticize Jacksonville or Florida or the USA; that is your right in a free country, just remember to temper your criticism in regard to the US because you owe this country your existence.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,075,793 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying, but it's kinda funny that the "projects" (housing projects) in the US would normally be considered ghetto. And that's the very definition of social assistance: government-subsidized low-income housing.

I did read about France, I believe, that had top architects design their "projects" so that they would look modern and stimulating. The construction cost was no more than your typical project, but at least it wouldn't look like a typical slum or ghetto.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:52 PM

154 posts, read 322,767 times
Quote:
Hey AmericanBosnian, have you ever considered positive thinking? You are an outsider only if your mind tells you so. You might consider reading "The Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. I hope it all works out with you. Smile and enjoy life!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldee View Post
Hey AmericanBosnian, have you ever considered positive thinking? You are an outsider only if your mind tells you so. You might consider reading "The Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. I hope it all works out with you. Smile and enjoy life!
I have met and employed several Bosnian refugees. And generally they are an industrious hard working people, they are not what I would describe as positive thinking or a smiling type people.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Then leave there's nothing holding you here. We could actually do without another I hate Jax whiner here, as they are the main ones that make Jax unbearable with their constant bichin and moaning, about a place they chose to live in, mistake or not. Just leave and don't let the screen door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

BTW ... the word ghetto originated in Venice. It was used as a term where the Jews lived. At the time, the Jews were confined to stay in a certain area. It is not even an American word. It's European/Jewish.

in America Ghetto is a slang term that is used to describe something that is uneducated or in rough condition. This word is commonly used to refer to a particular race with prejudice.
I, simply, cant just drop my life, job, furniture, car, etc., to leave. Any adult would be smart enough to realize this. Maybe you're not one, I know where the word originates, and anyone in the world can use google. There is NO such thing as an American word, we are not writing in American, it doesn't exist. This is a European language, called ENGLISH!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Whenever I think compassionately of certain people whose parents immigrated from certain parts of the world who, were it not for the intervention of this country and the UN, would have been exterminated, some fool says something that makes me rethink the way I feel. It is okay to criticize Jacksonville or Florida or the USA; that is your right in a free country, just remember to temper your criticism in regard to the US because you owe this country your existence.
First off, my dad is AMERICAN my MOM is BOSNIAN-CROAT. She was working in Germany and he was stationed in Germany they met, got married and he brought her over here. This is not a free country, you cant afford to travel to the EU because you're American, but if you could you would see the major difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville